Barefoot Herbalist

What is sweet mint

I have looked and looked to see if sweet mint is the same as peppermint or spearmint, but could not find the answer. When I rub it, it smells more spearminty smelling...but it is always compared to peppermint. Does anyone know if this mint is actually peppermint or spearmint or is it a mint of it's own?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I had the same question a month or so ago. Scroll down to the thread MINT. In short, what I got as spearmint from one grower last year is Mentha spicata. I noticed same variety as Sweet Mint this season different grower.

Barefoot Herbalist

Susan W wrote:I had the same question a month or so ago. Scroll down to the thread MINT. In short, what I got as spearmint from one grower last year is Mentha spicata. I noticed same variety as Sweet Mint this season different grower.
Thanks Susan...I'll definately look ;) I thought they smelled similar =)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I am so confused. Picked up more mint, both spearmint and sweet mint, same genus/sp, different growers. Slightly different leaf structure. I am thinking both work well in teas etc.

Barefoot Herbalist

Susan W wrote:I am so confused. Picked up more mint, both spearmint and sweet mint, same genus/sp, different growers. Slightly different leaf structure. I am thinking both work well in teas etc.

lol...I know what you mean, sometimes things are very confusing ;) It could be the fact that sweet mint comes from Isreal, maybe it has something to do with that??? Maybe the different climate makes the same genus smell different or have a little more or a little less effect and/or taste...only God knows I guess!

Susan W
Greener Thumb

I stopped at a garden center to check the herbs. There were 2 different spearmints! I mean different. One large coarse leaves, other bushier, smaller leaves. I got the one with smaller, and it looks like the clump can be divided easily (4" pot). Confused?

Barefoot Herbalist

Susan W wrote:I stopped at a garden center to check the herbs. There were 2 different spearmints! I mean different. One large coarse leaves, other bushier, smaller leaves. I got the one with smaller, and it looks like the clump can be divided easily (4" pot). Confused?
I just read on a website that said "The species derives its name from the resemblance of the tips of its leaves to pointed lances or spears. However, as spearmint has been extensively cultivated since ancient ages, the precise natural variety of this species is yet to be ascertained by botanists." ... so I am supposing their must be several varities...who knew :lol: I'm thinkin I'm just gonna buy the sweet mint and see what it does.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

I love the mints too. I never noticed much difference between peppermint and chocolate mint, and would rather have peppermint.
The way I've found to buy the sweetest spearmint is to rub a leaf and test the fragrance. Some seem to be more mild than others.
One mint labeled, "Mint Julep" from Home Depot is a spearmint that is so strong it's not really sweet. Just minty and mouthwashy.

Barefoot Herbalist

DeborahL wrote:I love the mints too. I never noticed much difference between peppermint and chocolate mint, and would rather have peppermint.
The way I've found to buy the sweetest spearmint is to rub a leaf and test the fragrance. Some seem to be more mild than others.
One mint labeled, "Mint Julep" from Home Depot is a spearmint that is so strong it's not really sweet. Just minty and mouthwashy.
I love rubbing my herbs and testing the fragrance, it's funny you said that about the mint julep, I just bought some, but mine was from a USDA certified organic plant nursery. The thing is I thought it smelled really sweet, it so funny how the same plant can be so different depending on where it's grown, how it's grown, etc.

I think spearmint is my favourite!!!!

Handsomeryan
Cool Member

This thread makes me want a mojito so bad.

Quest
Newly Registered

Sweet Mint is not sweet and is not mint. The plant is of course from the
family of mints because the leave looks very similar. Sweet Mint, also called "Hierba Buena" (Good Herb) is what you put in a cuban Mohito. They make Mohito with Mint because Sweet Mint is very hard to find. Except in Miami. I found out last week that Hierba Buena was Sweet Mint when I bought a plant in Home Depot and had a Sweet Mint tag on it. So remember the real mohito is with Hierba Buena.

Merkuree
Newly Registered

I went to Home Depot looking for lemon mint, mojito mint (Yerba Buena), chocolate mint. I found chocolate mint, two kinds of Yerba Buena, and sweet mint. The spearmint and peppermint were labeled Spearmint (Yerba Buena) and Peppermint (Yerba Buena). They didn't have mint with labels lemon mint and mojito mint. The labeling on Yerba Buena and spearmint/sweet mint confused me. I just grabbed the chocolate mint and left. I know mojito mint/Yerba Buena is not peppermint (that's too strong) but I didn't know if the spearmint or sweet mint were the same thing as mojito mint/Yerba Buena. Any ideas?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”