WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Am I being too ambitous??

I decided to do a garden, my first in the state of ohio, NE near the PA border to be exact. I have green onions, cebollas to plant (direct seed) when I go to transplant my beans and peppers and tomatoes outdoors, tomatoes prob will need to wait until much warmer temps along with my cantaloupe I sprouted from a store bought fruit (home dried the seeds and sprouted them, I ended up with 4 sprouts out of 8 seeds planted I think) My tomatoes will be in pots and in the ground, I have carrots and brussel sprouts and kohlerabi already sprouted and transplanted in the ground.....brussel sprouts (about 4'x20' of them) kohlerabi (about 4'x4' of them) and direct seeded romain and radishes between the brussel sprout seedlings already in the ground today. 20 cauliflower plants (store bought and already grown transplanted today) a probably about 60 pea seeds thrown in a furrow and covered (to be thinned out later and grown up two trellis's, the furrow is about 8' in length total, going at a 90 degree angle to grow up the trellis's wired together) about 25 yellow orange and red bells mixed together about 15 green bean bushes and 5 lima bushes....total areas one at 4'x20' 8'x8' 4'x10' and 4' x 25', approximate of course....it's just me and my fiance but I am trying to save at the store by growing at home....am I being too ambitious?? lol oh and add a ton of basil in a tub and parsley in a tub and strawberries to be containered so they don't run amok!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a fun summer for the two of you. Gardening is a nice romatic hobby! Get yourself two rabbits and you will have it made!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

LOL actually my fiance used to keep rabbits and the areas that the garden is in, reasoning for the breaking up of plots, is that one area is in the old rabbit pen area...all other areas not been worked and have basically been left as compost piles....nice rich dark black soil underneath everything! I'm happy and excited but just hoping I am not being ambitious in this project LOL

garden5
Super Green Thumb

No, you're not being too ambitious at all! In fact, it sounds like you will be hitting the soil running this spring! Keep us updated on your progress :).

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

aww thanks! actually we got a good rain last night and it is going well into today still so my seeds will get plenty watered in, just hope my little romain seeds don't get washed away LOL...if they do, oh well, I might just be growing lettuce in the grass in the yard NEXT to the garden plot LOL....but I will also be having a helper this year as well...not just my fiance but his 12 yr old little girl he's taken under his wind as her mom works 2/3 jobs and her dad is not around...she calls him dad sometimes mostly uncle...depends on her mood I guess...but shes all excited and happy about the garden and I gave her her own plants to take care of in the garden, I will be planting them for her when they get big enough and she';ll have her own little space...cross your fingers for me lol....hopefully soon she'll have her own fresh veggies and fruits totake home to her siblings and mom!

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Good on you for taking a kid under your wing!! What a great way to get the next generation started in the garden. Sounds like you will be busy, but it is a good busy!

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

aww thanks....even got some green onions (scallions) seeds dropped into the rain soaked ground from the rain we got so no watering in (gotta love that) and go from here....just waiting on my transplants to be ready for the great outdoors....my bean plants (green and limas) are well on there way to being put outside.....their second set of leaves are coming in the nodes are easily seen and the rest which sprouted a bit later, the leaves are opening well and I can even see their sec leaf node sets as well...cantaloupes also doing same....figured out for sure today my tomato seedlings weren't getting enough light so they were moved back out of the window and under the grow lights....their sprout leaves separated today so I expect to see their true leaves sprouting anytime now....so under the lights they will stay till time and ready to plant.

and yes I will be busy for sure! but I love being outside and can't wait to be able to garden outside in the warmth and sunlight....it can't get here soon enough for me!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I don't think so. I think this will be a fun manageable garden for you.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

thank you :) any encouragement to a fellow gardener is always welcome lol....hope all is well for you as well this spring for your garden if you're doing one...which I assume u are as you are on the gardening forum lol

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”