Toolman

Lemon cucumbers

I was going to try some lemon cucubers this year.
The seed pack from linvngston seed does not mention
if they vine. Would these be good to grow on a garden
trellis. Not ate the lemon before sound tasty.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

They do vine. They were one of the most prolific veggies I had last year. The spread like crazy and produced a lot of fruit. I didn't trellis them but I really should have as the decided to go from the bed they were in to the bed I had lettuce in.

Also, I love the unique flavor of them even though they are ugly!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

They do well on a trellis. To me they taste like any other cucumber, but lack any of the bitterness, and have a thin skin.

Toolman

thanks for the helpful information. I have a nice trellis
I used for birdhouse quords in the past.
Should workout fine

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

ruggr10 wrote:. . . Also, I love the unique flavor of them even though they are ugly!
Ugly!?!

Weellll, I'll just say this: I find it important to eat them before they look much like a lemon. They will yellow more and more but, while that's going on, the seeds will be developing inside.

I think they are best just when they become kind of shiny . . . and round. But, they are still green.

Steve :wink:

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I like them to get as ripe as possible. There is a bit of extra flavor the uglier they get!

I think the seeds get a good flavor the more ripe they get.

applestar
Mod

I made a jar of whole lemon cuke pickles last year.
They look interesting and turned out very well 8)
These were lacto-fermented dill pickles and lost most of their color, but I'm thinking of making bread and butter pickles out of whole ones this year -- they should look wild. :wink:

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We grew them last year and really enjoyed them. We used a trellis and picked them when they got a bit of a blush on the end.

Very tastey.

glock3540
Newly Registered

I grew them last year and they did well. However, I planted them next to my regular cucumbers and my pickling cucumbers took on the yellow color. I'm assuming they cross pollinated.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

They probably did cross pollinate but that only affects the seeds. The flesh is part of the mother plant.

Corn is the only vegetable you have to worry about for cross pollination affecting what you eat because 1) your are eating seeds, and 2) the "sweet" gene is recessive so pollen from dominant starchy field corn really screws up your picnic.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”