Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Anybody know about the care of a CORAL cactus????

I bought a cactus the other day, and the top has apparently been treated with something to make it look the way it does. But I just couldn't resist it. They garden centre called it a CORAL cactus.---------Does anybody know the proper care I should be giving it? It is really different. Thanks in advance. :) Sorry I can't post a picture, camera not working.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There are a couple of different plants called Coral Cactus, but, without the advantage of a photo, I'll guess that you've probably purchased the unusual-looking Euphorbia Lactea Crest, grafted onto a rootstock of Euphobia neriifolia.

A Euphorbia isn't a true cactus, but the care is much the same: average indoor temperatures, full to partial sunlight, don't water until the soil is dry, water even less in the winter. Since you have just brought yours home, I wouldn't put it in direct sunlight without acclimating it first. It would probably sunburn it.

All parts of the plant are poisonous, and the sap can cause skin irritation.

BTW, the crest formation is natural in this species, but the crests don't occur so frequently in the wild. Special cultivation techniques are used to force them to form crests. These plants are usually mass produced in Thailand and China, much like the "Moon Cacti". :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:) Kisal, Thank you so much. That sounds exactly what it is. The lady at the garden centre said it was grafted on. Also that they treated it with something, to make it that funny shape! I haven't put it in direct sunlight, and am not watering it for awhile. I have GOT to start ignoring my plants instead of overwatering, :oops: Bad me!!! Kinda weird looking, but really interesting. Thanks so much for the information! :)

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:shock: I was thinking about removing the rocks off the top of the soil on this plant. Would you believe, I think they GLUED the rocks on there????? What do I do now? Never seen anything like this before??

Return to “Cactus Forum - Cacti Including all Succulent Plants”