ninesenough
Newly Registered

Where is the best place to buy fruit trees?

Just wondering, where should I purchase fruit trees? I'm located in Upstate NY, and want to buy some apple trees. I haven't had any success in the past. Should I buy from catalogues or a local nursery.
Also what are your views on buying from Walmart or Lowes.

Berry bushes, are they alright purchased from such as Walmart or Lowes? Thanks,

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I picked up 4 thornless blackberry bare root plants from Lowe's earlier this year and so far, so good. They are growing well and sending up many canes this spring. These will not produce berries this season but should give me a nice crop in the summer of 2012. I already have a large frame trellis for them to be woven into to make picking berries and trimming the old canes out once they finish producing much easier.

At the same time I picked up a couple of bare root blueberry starts but they aren't doing much and I don't think they are going to make it. I'm not sure if those were intended for a cooler climate. There are varieties that will do well in our hot/humid summers. I'll likely check into that with local growers and see what they plant.

I've never bought any fruit trees from the big box stores but did receive one from a local nursery several years ago as a gift. That citrus tree grew great and by the 4th year I had to give away buckets full of tangerines.

applestar
Mod

My recommendation is to research fruit cultivars that have good disease resistance -- particularly to local diseases. If a trusted independent nursery has them, great! But buy them before they are leafing out or just as the buds are breaking, not in full flower or past flower.

I don't buy them from big box stores.

I have one apple tree that I bought from a nursery we went to every year because they had such high quality plants, and it grew very well. Others have been purchased on-line/mail order.

I like Miller Nurseries in NY -- I have purchased from them over many years and their quality has improved. Although I haven't purchased from them, I have also heard good things about ST. Lawrence Nurseries, and Cummins Nursery has an amazing selection of varieties on different selections of dwarfing rootstocks.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I should be getting royalties, I will suggest Raintree once again. :)

https://www.raintreenursery.com/ I have purchased over a hundred plants from them.

This is my local nursery, you may look for someone closer.

Eric

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I have 1 nectarine tree from lowes that I planted last year and is doing great.

I have gotten trees from oikos, so far so good.

I am waiting on trees from FEDCo.

I have gotten berries from ediblelandcaping.com which are doing well.

Also waiting for berries from raintree and berries unlimitted.

I tried different companies so I would get a range.

If you really want to feel comfortable use a local nursery.

ninesenough
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the replies. :P

wordwiz
Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I should be getting royalties, I will suggest Raintree once again. :)

https://www.raintreenursery.com/ I have purchased over a hundred plants from them.

This is my local nursery, you may look for someone closer.

Eric
Eric,

Yes, they are unbelievable. Katy said she really thought I should not buy trees from her because they wouldn't produce fruit the first year so the Demonstration Project might not look great. Then, after letting her know that the first year or two was not that important, she went on to research what trees would likely be the best for my climate (Cincinnati) and soil conditions.

One will not go wrong with this company!

Mike

Return to “All Other Fruit”