Aya

Potato ID Question

Hey Everyone

This is my first year gardening, and I started 3 different kinds of potatoes, and they have all sprouted and are doing well. My question is, is there a way to tell a difference between the varieties? All the sprouts look the same to me...

I planted one each of: Russet, Red, and Purple Majesty

Any help you guys can provide would be awesome!

TIA!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You may have to be more specific about that "Russet" or "Red," Aya. Altho' there may well be some common characteristics.

This site may help: [url=https://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/plaveg/potpom/var/indexe.shtml]Canadian Potato Varieties Descriptions[/url]

Perhaps you could type search terms like: Russet Norkotah, Russet Burbank, Ranger Russet, etc. Then click on the photo's. They are quite similar and you may be able to separate them more easily from: Red Pontiac, Red La Soda, Norland Red, etc.

Your Purple Majestry will probably be the easiest for you to identify yourself. And :shock: , the Canadian government won't help you on that variety anyway!

Steve

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Russet will most likely have white flowers.

Purple Majesty may have a blue or black tint to the sprouting foliage, and the leaves may look different than the other two....smaller leaflets.

I don't know what red you have but the three most common in the U.S., Red Pontiac, Red Norland and Red La Soda, all have pink flowers.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:. . . I don't know what red you have but the three most common in the U.S., Red Pontiac, Red Norland and Red La Soda, all have pink flowers.
Interesting that we post at exactly the same moment, TZ. And, we both chose the same 3 reds as examples.

:wink:

S'

Aya

Thanks everyone, the sprouts are currently only a couple inches tall - so no identifying flowers yet, but I'll definitely try your suggestions once they are a little bigger :)

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Good question. Perhaps we should keep a notebook of where we plant things? I often have the same problem, and not just with potatoes. I was out looking where I planted three varieties of garlic plus onions and shallots, wondering which is which. No markers, no notes. It all works out in the end. Maybe you won't know until you dig the spuds. I know different varieties have a little difference in foliage and flowers, but can't tell you on these varieties you name.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Pictures, I take lots of pictures. :wink: :lol:

Eric

Aya

The funny thing is, I have markers for all of them - just didn't put them in the plants :lol:

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”