Propogater problems

Iget long spindly seedlings from my propogater
I know I am leaving them in to long
but how do you know when to take them out or open the vents
is it when first seedling appears or what

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I must admit, I don't know what you mean when you say: "propagator."

When I plant seedlings, I just place the seeds in small pots with soil and use a grow light. Seedlings become spindly when they do not have an adequate light source with the proper wavlengths of light.

Janet W

You need light as opabinia suggests, I put my lights on a timer for 16 hours on 8 hours off. Put the lights a few inches above the propagator tray. I use agrolights for the right spectrum. Also if the room is too warm the seedlings will also become leggy (spindley). Make sure the room is about 18-20 degrees or 70 farenheit. I have a growlight cart and I use bottom heat from the fixture below, and once they germinate I remove them from the bottom heat. Air circulation is also very important to ward off fungal diseases. I run a fan on rotate about 10 feet from the seedlings 24/7. I hope this helps you to produce new stalky, short-celled, strong seedlings. Janet P.S some seeds need darkness and/or other requirements to germinate.

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Terry,

I agree with both Opa and Janet. Janet's mention of a fan is also very important as the breeze will also help to strengthen the seedlings. You might find this helpful.
https://extension.missouri.edu/jasper/hort/mg/globe/014.htm

Newt

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, just a folow up to Janets mention of some seeds needing darkness or other conditions to germinate.

Absolutely correct in fact, some seeds need a light source to germinate, and some seeds need to be scoured before they will germinate. Anyway, the list goes on.

My point is: that you should read any instructions on the seed packet (or research the seed before trying to germinate if you collected it) before planting.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”