gabs
Newly Registered

Hello all,

I am new to this forum.

Just bought a bonsai that looks very similar to the one Riquez asked to identify.

Did a search on the net but didn't manage to get a match :(

Here are two pictures of my bonsai.
[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/reubenvella/bonsai2.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e376/reubenvella/bonsai.jpg[/img]

gabs
Newly Registered

Hi again guys,

Did more research, and finally...the tree is a Zanthoxylum most probaly a Zanthoxylum odorum. The tree is more commnly found under the name of Chinese pepper.

Take a look at these links:

miamitropicalbonsai.com/chinese_pepper.htm

[url=https://www.greendragonbonsai.co.uk/CHINESE_PEPPER_BONSAI_TREES_AT_GREEN_DRAGON_BONSAI.htm]GreenDragonBonsai.co.uk[/url]

ynot
Greener Thumb

Gabs,
Good Job!
As a dedicated fan of google [Well searching in general actually.] It is so nice to see someone that knows what a wonderfull tool for research it [or similar] is and uses it!

So many people just ask and have obviously not bothered to put forth the slightest bit of effort to actually seek the answer.

You are not one of those people! I greatly appreciate that.8)

Thank you for posting the results of your search.

I have not seen all that much wrt these as bonsai [They can be a bit of a design nightmare due to the compound leaves IMO...Er, Challenge I mean :wink:]

What are your plans for the tree?

ynot

gabs
Newly Registered

Thanks ynot [:)]

Before buying this new bonsai from a logal gardening store, I had already bought a Fukien tea bonsai.
The Fukien tea tree was correctly labelled and I could do some research regarding the tree, before returning to the store and buying the cute bonsai since literature on the internet suggested that this was a good indoor bonsai for beginners.

On the contrary the Chinese pepper tree had no label at all. The foliage looked appealing and I was too intrigued so I dicided to buy it. It turned out that very little information regarding this tree is available on the net.
So far I have no plans for the tree. I'm doing my best to keep it in good shape by regularly watering and spraying it and adding ferts once every two weeks.. I will be posting pictures of the bonsai as soon as possible and I would be glad to be given suggestions regarding shaping of the tree as I'm still too inexperieced to decide myself.

Thanking you

ynot
Greener Thumb

gabs wrote:Thanks ynot [:)]
I will be posting pictures of the bonsai as soon as possible and I would be glad to be given suggestions regarding shaping of the tree as I'm still too inexperieced to decide myself.

Thanking you
Your very welcome!

Here is a tip for you wrt bonsai photos:

For the best clarity:

The primary photo should be taken from the chosen front, very nearly level with the top of the pot and have a neutral solid colored background,
Use adequate indirect lighting to limit shadows.

You can either include the entire pot in the shot or simply the top edge.

Additional shots of foliage nebari, soil, Or special features are helpfull also.

I look forward to the pictures. 8)

ynot

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”