DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Everyones Garlic update Please!

Here are two photos I took today of my Music garlic.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03301.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03300.jpg[/img]

Garlic report, lets see your garlic.

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kimbledawn

Here is my garlic, chesnok red and Spanish Roja

[img]https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/kimbledawn/gardengarlic.jpg[/img]

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Nice, Very nice! When did you plant?

Have you grown these before?

Eric

sixshooter

Wow. I planted here in michigan in october and all I have are ittle blades poking up through the straw. Maybe I planted them too deep.

applestar
Mod

Nah, just Colder, I think.

My Music are looking kind of like yours Eric, with somewhat spread/sprawling leaves unlike the German hard neck, which are standing straighter with more frosty colored leaves, but mine are a bit shorter still I think.

The Elephant garlic are only just starting to emerge, thicker and darker looking and about 4" tall.

I'll take some pics if I get the chance.

ButterflyGarden

We have fairly warm winters here. My garlic is in pots and it's over 6 inches tall.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

My Klaver (a big hardneck, 4-6 cloves) is about 6" high, while my Chesnok Red and shallots are 3"-4" high. I planted just before cold weather hit so they didn't have time to sprout before winter, but they are up out of the ground before most of the weeds around here.

soil
Greener Thumb

wow you plant your garlic far apart.

my garlic is doin great. some varieties are about 12 inches tall now, others not far behind.

stella1751
Greener Thumb

SixShooter wrote:Wow. I planted here in michigan in october and all I have are ittle blades poking up through the straw. Maybe I planted them too deep.
I planted mine here in Wyoming in late October, and all I have is blades, too. That's how it works up north, a day late and a dollar short :lol: By late July, ours will be ready to harvest. Mine are my first second-generation plant I've ever grown, and I am pretty excited to see how they turn out!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My garlic is doing fine. It's been in the ground since last fall and will be coming out in early June. The tops are about 24-30 inches tall and have not been dormant with our mild winter. I also have onions in the same raised bed that are somewhat taller and the bulbs are developing nicely from what I can see.

I also companion planted onion sets between my tomato plants when I put them in the ground about 6 weeks ago in late February. My tomato plants are now 3 ft. tall and loaded with tomatoes and blossoms. So far, my tomato plants are some of the healthiest I've ever grown. I just hope they stay that way.

kimbledawn

Nice, Very nice! When did you plant?

Have you grown these before?

Eric
I planted them the last wek in September, but we had decent weather until mid-November. I was afraid that they would die because they grew a lot before it got cold. This is my first time growing garlic that wasn't a bulb from the store. I was so surprised when the seed bulbs arrived and they were so big!! :shock: I hope they turn out!!!

orgoveg
Green Thumb

This is just something from the grocery that was labeled "product of Mexico". I don't think I'll care what kind it is if it smells and tastes like garlic. If it gives me something to plant next season, I'll be happy :) This is my first time properly planting in the fall.

[img]https://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh194/abaction/garlicrszd.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Hmm.. There is a good chance these won't bulb for you since in Mexico, they would grow short day garlic and you would need to grow long day garlic varieties in Ohio.

Today, I realized that clumps of what I had thought were Egyptian onions had very garlic-like flat folded leaves. I tried grasping a skinny one near the soil line and firmly pulling it up, and out popped what looks very much like onion transplants -- about pencil to marker-thick With about 1" roots attached (this mornings heavy rains helped) -- but definitely garlicky in odor. I pulled most of them, thinking to thin them, and out popped one with a garlic clove still attached. With purple red near the base, I,m pretty sure these are German Pink hard neck variety that were meant to be harvested last year. I guess I somehow missed a few.

I ended up pulling up all but the thickest from each cluster, and with a big bundle of garlic transplants in hand, went around planting them all over the garden. :D If these don't form cluster bulbs, they should at least grow into large single cloves each that can be grown for next year's crop. 8)

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Mine is about 6" tall now. Looking good! I have no idea what I planted, some from the grocery store, some from Oklahoma and some wild garlic we dug. I'm going to try to be better prepared next fall with some decent bulbs to start with.

Father's Daughter
Cool Member

I recently pulled some of the winter mulch off my garlic bed and it's curently only about five inchese tall. We're having a very cold spring this year!

I'm growing Music and German White and this is my second year growing these. I planted cloves from last year's harvest in mid-October, and expect to harvest by late July or early August.

applestar
Mod

Does anyone know if Elephant garlic and German Pink garlic would cross if allowed to flower and go to seed near each other? I have a vague notion that Elephant garlic is different from others....

or maybe I'll eat all the scapes since they are easily grown from the cloves, but I just can't seem to resist letting things go to seed... :roll:

ButterflyGarden

It was my understanding that garlic couldn't be crossed.....

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

apple - yeah, elephant garlic is a different species and so PROBABLY won't cross with regular garlic (though farther crosses have happened...if you're not married to the idea of eating the scapes, you should probably try it out in the name of science...of course, then you'd have to deal with growing it out from seed)...

my garlic update (sans pics):
trying lokalon, duganski, chinese pink, and an unknown variety that a neighbor's been growing for a few years and seems to do well regionally...never grown any of these before. they were all planted in identically-prepared beds (amended with compost and mulched with well-aged leafmold)...the chinese pink is some of the weakest-looking I've seen. thin, yellowy little things, barely opening leaves yet, while the others are up to about 6 inches tall, with good leaf-spread, and (mostly) good dark green color...and these chinese are supposed to be an early variety?

...pics (maybe) when I don't have 50 other things to do...still need to document my mushroom-log setup for that other thread, too...

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Does anyone know if Elephant garlic and German Pink garlic would cross if allowed to flower and go to seed near each other? I have a vague notion that Elephant garlic is different from others....
Elephant garlic is a leek, not actually garlic. If that helps..

Here is mine. Mine is also just some cloves I bought from walmart. Will be happy if I get cloves to turn around and plant this fall. AAAAnd, my first time properly planting in the fall. I planted them last November. They were planted closer but I didn't mulch and don't think I planted deep enough so some succumbed to the cold and squirrels :evil:

[img]https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/grnpez/garlicbed.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

Thank you for all your replies. :)

A member of the leek family? That does make a difference in that I have 3 or 4 leeks that survived the winter unprotected, and I was going to let them go to seed. Luckily, I don't believe anyof the Elephants were planted near them. this info will also affect where to plant the new leek seedlings that are ready to be planted in the ground. :?

Odd Duck

I don't feel so bad, now. I was out in the garden getting things ready for more planting a few weeks ago. I had some "leeks" that I wanted to move to a different area. I wasn't ready to use them that day and they don't seem to care too much about being moved, so I lifted them. As I lifted I noticed some bulbing and was like, "Huh?" Smelled them and was even more confused. Then looked around a little more and found the tag that said, you guessed it, "Elephant garlic". I had forgotten that I planted it - my first time trying it so I only got a little! Duh! So I tucked them in where I wanted them and we'll just see what I get. Felt pretty stupid, though. Almost as stupid as finding the "parsnips" tag after I tucked my kohlrabi into place. :roll: :lol: :oops:

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

Mine was generic white garlic, planted in the fall. It's doing great, about 6 inches tall now and starting to put out more leafleats. Just the tips of the leaves burned over winter. Rest of the plant is fine.

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

Odd Duck wrote:I don't feel so bad, now. I was out in the garden getting things ready for more planting a few weeks ago. I had some "leeks" that I wanted to move to a different area. I wasn't ready to use them that day and they don't seem to care too much about being moved, so I lifted them. As I lifted I noticed some bulbing and was like, "Huh?" Smelled them and was even more confused. Then looked around a little more and found the tag that said, you guessed it, "Elephant garlic". I had forgotten that I planted it - my first time trying it so I only got a little! Duh! So I tucked them in where I wanted them and we'll just see what I get. Felt pretty stupid, though. Almost as stupid as finding the "parsnips" tag after I tucked my kohlrabi into place. :roll: :lol: :oops:
Haha...that's alright. Technically this is my first time even growing garlic. The first time I tried I bought elephant garlic assuming that since it said "garlic" it must be. Only to find out halfway through the season that I was growing a bed of leeks. I can tell you that I pulled them at the end of the season and braided them just like regular garlic and hung them from a top cabinet in my kitchen and they kept just fine for months and months. I used the last one about 7 months after hanging them and it was just fine.

Good luck to everyone's garlic AND leek efforts this year! :lol:

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

The grasslike growth is around ten inches high.

annastasia76

I have a question about garlic, since so many plant it in the fall, does it need to get really cold in order to grow in the spring??? we get some frost but not too much. Also when is the best time to plant it, is it late November/early December???

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

No, it doesn't need to go through a cold season to grow well, it just takes that long. In fact it basically stops growing in the winter and just kinda stays put. But if you plant it in the spring it won't be ready by winter, and then you'll have to wait all through winter and into the following spring to get your garlic.

By planting in the fall you are just giving the plants a couple months head start for the following spring.

........I think.

wisconsingal

SixShooter wrote:Wow. I planted here in michigan in october and all I have are ittle blades poking up through the straw. Maybe I planted them too deep.
This is the scene here in Southeastern Wisconsin as well. They are about an inch high today. Not much to look at!

Everyone's garlic looks so great. I *heart* garlic! Really, I can't imagine food without it.

TWC015

Here are a couple of pictures of my garlic I took today:
[img]https://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/TWC015/IMG_7743-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i766.photobucket.com/albums/xx309/TWC015/IMG_7732-1.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Been watnign to take some pics but its dark out right now.

Mine look about like yours Eric as well. They have really shot up here lately in the past week or so. I even have some volunteer garlic growing from where I had it last year that is doing pretty well, onions too in the same bed (my rose bed :P ).

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

ugh...after seeing everyone elses pics I feel like I should have planted a lot more!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks everyone. I just got off the boat and back on the island a few hours ago. Had to take my elderly father home. Takes almost two days for a 100 mile trip one way. :(

Sounds like most of you are doing alright with your garlic. :D

My garlic seems a little sprawled this year, but should straighten out once the weather warms.

Eric

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's been about three weeks. How about another update?

My garlic is more upright. [img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/1%20Double%20Dog%20Farm%20Vegetable%20Garden%20plants/DSC03327.jpg[/img]

Eric
Last edited by DoubleDogFarm on Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Spicy Chicken

Late as usual!

[img]https://driedhotpeppers.com/images/Garlic_pics/Garden_Pic_large001_800.jpg[/img]

[img]https://driedhotpeppers.com/images/Garlic_pics/Garden_Pic_large002_800.jpg[/img]

[img]https://driedhotpeppers.com/images/Garlic_pics/Garden_Pic_large004_800.jpg[/img]

soil
Greener Thumb

wow you already have scapes. cut them suckers off and make scape pesto!

speedster7926

2 questions what is scape pesto and how do u make it I love pesto I can eat it on just about anything. oh and 3rd question lol if I plant garlic this fall when will I have edible garlic I was told that if I plant it this fall it goes dormant for a season is that correct or what? I have done spring planting but not fall

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Warm climate garlic should be planted when the night temperatures reach down into the fifties, October/November here in S.C. Those cool temperatures will trigger sprouting. Here the garlic grows vigorously at long as night temperatures stay above freezing and day temperatures are in the fifties or warmer. Growth slows considerably during the coldest part of the winter here, but picks up quickly in the warm weeks of February. In Florida I would expect the garlic to continue to grow through most of the winter. My guess is that you will get a very early harvest when day time highs get much above the mid 80's for a prolonged period of a few weeks. Be sure an get a variety of garlic that does well in a southern climate as the cold climate garlic will do just like tulips, making many small cloves and never getting any decent maturity. The garlicstore.com has lots of information on warm climate and cold climate varieties. If you are going to order garlic for planting, do it early as most sources will be sold out before June.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

BTW, here it is not even beyond April and my garlic is already starting to get brown leaves near the bottom of the plant. The temperature has been well up in the mid to upper 80's and even warmer for the past three weeks. Looks like I'll be pulling my bulbs early this year, perhaps as soon as mid May. The first year that I planted garlic, harvest didn't come until mid June. Hope my plants have time to make decent bulbs with this unseasonably warm weather and early harvest.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This year I planted a little extra garlic, to give away. But as my last years crop started to get past its best quality and dry too much, I decided to start pulling some of the young plants and began using them in late February. This coming year I'll incorporate two strategies to give us high quality garlic year round. First I'll mince the garlic as if making pesto and will freeze it in an ice tray with the garlic covered by olive oil. The oil will keep the air from the minced garlic and should preserve the flavor. The other thing we will do is over plant sufficient extra garlic in order to harvest more plants early in the season when the bulbs are still immature. When these are harvested they look like spring onions, and we use them just like spring onion in that both tops and white bottom parts are diced and tossed in the dish for a wonderful full garlic flavor.

soil
Greener Thumb

speedster scapes are those curly flower stalks on the garlic in the photos above. google garlic scape pesto for recipes. also there are lots of other plants you can make pesto with other than basil

hendi_alex I think ill be pulling my garlic early this year too, we had an early spring and havent had frost for over a month which is real rare.

kimbledawn

Here is my garlic today! We have had terrible weather! Constant rain, tornado warnings :evil: Well the rain slowed so I took a pic of my garlic!

[img]https://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y8/kimbledawn/garlic.jpg[/img]

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”