firstimegardener
Cool Member

Worm farm question

Ok, so my worm farm has been going since last summer. I cleaned it out at the end of the summer (long story) but now I have a 18" x 18" container that is about 3" full of worm castings. With more on the way. My question is, now what do I do with it? Do I mix it in when I till my garden (which isn't going to happen for several more weeks sadly) or do I put some on the top of my started seedlings? Do I wait and put it around the plants when I transplant them???

HELP!

Thanks!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I use vermicompost for two main things. Up-potting my seedlings (half worm poo half soil makes AMAZING and huge plants) and also use it to make tea. Look up compost tea, I do that just using castings instead of compost.

You can also put it in your planting holes and/or as a side dressing fertilizer.

firstimegardener
Cool Member

Ok, thanks. So pretty much, adding to it at any point is a good thing!!!! That's good to know!!!! :D

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Yep, they call worm castings "black gold" because it is amazing stuff. Some people even start their seeds in it but I can't seem to do it, they stay too wet and I get mold and rot and other problems.

ruggr10
Green Thumb

I mix worm castings in my seed starting mix. Also, I experimented with covering seeds with a thin layer of wormcastings instead of soil and spraying them. Those seedlings sprouted faster and grew better.

Tonythegardener

I think the answer is that you can use it as a good base for any use in the garden. Making potting and seed compost, mulching, adding to the compost heap, putting into planting holes, top dressing to name just a few. If the worm castings are wet then you need to add it to ordinary compost to make it suitable for seeds to be sown into it.
It is indeed black gold.

firstimegardener
Cool Member

Thanks everyone! I had already up potted my plants, and somehow forgot about my worm farm :shock: However, I'm going to start some more next week, so I will mix it in with those seeds, and when I plant the ones already growing into their final resting place then I will put some in there too....

tomc
Super Green Thumb

firstimegardener wrote:Ok, so my worm farm has been going since last summer. I cleaned it out at the end of the summer (long story) but now I have a 18" x 18" container that is about 3" full of worm castings. With more on the way. My question is, now what do I do with it?

1., Do I mix it in when I till my garden (which isn't going to happen for several more weeks sadly) or

2., do I put some on the top of my started seedlings?

3., Do I wait and put it around the plants when I transplant them???

Thanks!
If it was my worm poo, and my garden, I go with #1 and #3.

But thats just me. ;)

Return to “Organic Gardening Forum”