Mandy

My pepper plants seem a little "slow"

Ok this might be a little long...I've searched online endlessly and can't seem to get the answers I need.

Soooo I started some jalapeno seeds back at the end of november. I have 3 plants that have been indoors their whole little plant lives. I live in an apt with no patio so everything is kinda forced inside. Since this was my first time attempting to grow ANYTHING, I was not aware of pruning until about a month ago lol. The plants were getting tall and leggy so I began pruning them (mostly cutting off the tops to promote a sturdier stem and a wider plant, as opposed to taller since they're indoors) I have 2 4ft plant light bulbs on them about 12 to 14 hours a day. I Keep them watered enough, and I use an organic concentrated plant food that needs to be extremely diluted once every 2 weeks. I know Jalapeno plants are supposed to fruit around the 3 month mark or so...This pic was taken just a few minutes ago. [img]https://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/199760_209566765721154_100000034976272_813219_6918719_n.jpg[/img]

They would be about a foot taller each, but I have pruned them recently. So I guess my questions are, did I wait to long to start pruning?
Is that enough light for them or should I leave it on longer each day?
what mistake did I make if any, that lead to these plants being almost 5 months old and still looking like this?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm not sure, but your closest plant looks like a tomato to me. :?

Eric

Mandy

lol it does doesn't it? theres actually a tomato plant to the right just outside this pic. I got the seeds for the 3 pepper plants all from the same jalapeno so I know there was no mix up :p

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

I would bet that is a tomato!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Potato leaf tomato? I'm just going by what looks like branch crotch suckers. I could be totally wrong. :D

Sorry, I can't help with your original questions.

Eric

Mandy

whats a branch crotch sucker? :shock:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

https://www.finegardening.com/how-to/articles/pruning-tomatoes.aspx

Second image down
Eric

Mandy

ahhh...I thought those were just new growths...they never appeared on any of my pepper plants til I began pruning them. I thought this was supposed to happen?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are the stems of your plants fuzzy or smooth? Pepper plants are shiny smooth almost waxy.

Eric

Mandy

they're just a little fuzzy...which is weird cause ive seen pics of other ppls pepper plants around the 3 month mark and the stems have already hardened and they look different.

kimbledawn

I'm going to chime in. I think they are tomato plants also. If you check one of the other post, some of the posters talk about growing plants indoors. You have to have certain lights to get plants to fruit indoors. You also should have a fan blowing sometmes so the stems will be sturdier. I think your issues may be incorrect lighting, possibly too far away and the fact that those aren't peppers?Tomatoes like more water than peppers. :?

Mandy

I got the seeds from inside a jalapeno pepper tho...all 3 were planted at the same time just moments after I harvested the seeds...so I'm confused lol my lighting is hanging about 9 inches from the top of the highest plant...is 12 hours a day enough, or should I leave it on for longer? :cry:

Mandy

also from what ive come across on this board so far, it looks like I need the red end of the spectrum to get plants to flower indoors, which is what I have...its more a pinkish grow light. I will try putting a fan in there, I had actually never read about that before! ive spent so much time searching online over the past few months its ridiculous how long its taken to get some exact answers lol

kimbledawn

Well I suggested a fan because we use them for seedlings and outdoors your plants would have wind. Well I'd like to see how everything comes out. I've never seen pepper leaves look like that, they usually have shiny leaves with one point on the end.

Also I think the strength of your light matters and you need the other spectrums for other types of growth(leaves, stem) in your plant.

Mandy

yeah I'm pretty curious now too! lol I just moved my bedroom fan into the sun room where all my plants are...how many hours a day should I leave it on you think? for the whole duration of lighting or less?

Mandy

so I did some looking around online, cause you guys made me pretty curious...I think you're right about the japs being tomato plants, although I have no idea how this could have happened! LOL I feel like a doofus but hey I'm still new to this right? :oops:
so now...new question! how would I know if these tomato plants are determinate or indeterminate (so I know whether or not to pull off the suckers)
and dangit now I'm kinda sad, I was looking forward to having some peppers soon! :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Me again.

I would stop pruning until we have flowers. The flowers will be a dead give away. Pepper vs. tomato.

I'm not sure if you can tell a determinate or indeterminate by looks. :? Something I have not studied. I'm pretty sure they both have suckers.

Eric

Return to “Pepper Forum”