SuzieQ13

Rose starts growing then kaput!

So I have a "Black Baccara" rose bush, I planted it in a pot because I have no room and I don't want to harm my dog or plant by planting it in the back yard.

I planted it, it started growing beautifully, then the the one "shoot/limb/arm/branch" fell over like someone pushed it in half. Couldn't get an answer from anyone in my house about what happened. :evil: So when I saw that it couldn't be saved I clipped the dying broken "branch" off. Now the whole thing looks like its dying! I have no idea why! Maybe its root rot? :cry:

I have no idea why its dying all of a sudden. I know why my Mister Lincoln died last year but that's because myself and my dog landed on top of it when she tried to escape :(.

Anyone had any experience with a rosebush just up and dying?

Also my sons "Queen Elizabeth" rose seems to be having issues, could they maybe be caused by the same thing? :oops:

I know some about roses but I'm not extremely knowledgeable. I'm thinking of going to look for a book at the library maybe that will help? :cry:

I appreciate any answers or suggestions!

SuzieQ13

So I ended up taking it back to the nursery I originally bought it from and I ended up with a refund and I got a bunch of herbs in its place but its very :oops: :( :cry: heartbreaking for me because I really did love this rose bush. :cry: :cry: :cry: I've never had a rosebush die that I've never killed myself and a dog landing up on top of it.

So I suppose my new question would be is: does anyone know where I could buy a replacement Black Baccara rose?

applestar
Mod

I would think most rose bushes would do better planted in the ground because their root systems get huge! They need well-draining soil in a very large planter unless it's a miniature or maybe smaller floribunda.

That would be where I would start from.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Some rose bushes sold at stores have a limited root system. It is possible that this resulted in the cane tumbling down if it was not planted deep enough in the pot. Once it fell and was exposed to the ground, the few roots probably had a hard time getting food and, maybe more importantly, water. Lack of water is a usual problem with many new rose bushes so make sure you mulch with 3-4" of mulch and frequently check the soil to make sure it remains moist. Do not place the pot in a breezy location as this will cause wilting issues.

I doubt the problem with QE is related to Black Baccarat's problem although you did not describe what the problems were. QE is bloom picky (hard to get it to bloom sometimes) but that is all.

In your case, I would have returned or exchanged B/B too, just in case.
I do like its blooms.

Does this help you, applestar?
Luis

SuzieQ13

The QE had started out perfectly fine, it started growing, branched out and is well established. The problem is that its started "bleaching" itself, the branches began to turn a really light green and then a few started to turn a light yellow. My son picked it out I'm hoping it just had to deal with the weather, we had a bad and awful late cold snap last week and I hope it had to deal with that. I suppose the warmer weather this week will tell. But I am also off to the library today to pick out a few books on roses and other flowers.

Thanks for the help. :D

To explain why I have a few rosebushes in pots, we live in a rental townhouse, there is limits on what I can do, I received most of my roses as a gift this year, and I can't plant in the back yard because I don't want to worry about plants harming my dog, or my dog harming the plants. I've planted what I can outside and fully intend on taking them with me when I go and move, which will be in a year and a half. When we get to where we are moving I should be able to have a big enough garden that I can plant all the roses, and other plants that I want. I hope that explains a little of why I have roses in pots and not in the ground

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

I am not sure about the size of your dog, but my small and large dogs do not pay attention to the roses. I have concluded that dogs eyesight makes roses invisible and that an extraterrestrial alien endowed them with a force field :shock: so the thorns do not bother. Lord oh Lord. It does not seem possible but they ignore the roses and their thorns in a manner I would never consider. The real killer thorn bushes are against the house or a fence which limits damage to the roses when the pooches go on the war path with the squirrels. I have lost maybe 1-2 roses; a bunch of azaleas, maybe one camellia and one lilac. Patience, patience! Hee hee hee! Gotta love them. :lol:

SuzieQ13

We have a very hyper Husky, she gets plenty of exercise outside of "her yard" but then when she sees a squirrel (they're usually smart enough to stay in the trees :roll: ) she goes nuts, or when we get her riled up or play with her she "hot laps" around her yard basically hauling butt as if the demons from hell were after her :twisted: its pretty funny to watch she also digs so that's another reason I didn't put a bush back there.

I think the main reason I didn't put one back though is that she digs, and I'm not talking scratch the surface, I'm talking, she's digging a hole to China kind of dig, :shock: took a while to figure out why though but it seems the previous renters dog hid is bones in the back yard and she's been finding them. And I'm almost 100% certain that even if "mom" planted her rosebush in the back yard, if she thought there was a bone under it, it would come up. :roll:

I did pick up a couple of rose books from the library, I'm working on nursing the QE back to health, I'm going to switch pots and probably try a different potting soil. :oops: I just worry that my green thumb is turning black because of whats happening. I suppose time will tell.

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

Ah yes. Digging. It used my first dog's favorite pastime. But she did not have the excuse your dog has since the house I was living was brand new and I doubt the construction workers dug holes with leftover cheeseburgers! Hee hee hee! I blew a gasket with one of them holes. Imagine a big German Shepherd laying down on the hole -with a look that says "What?"- and still being under the soil line! Lord. I could see the sprinkler system at mid level. And the worst part was... where is most of the soil? where did it go??? there was main mound of soil in a few places but most of it was "gone"!?! Broooother..... Still I miss that girl!

Don't be too concerned about the roses. They are though plants. But the potting soil needs to be fertilized often (monthly), they may need water more often and the soil/pot sometimes may need to be replaced.

When you have some reading time:

https://www.colostate.edu/Depts/CoopExt/4DMG/Flowers/Roses/rosecont.htm

https://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/publications/roses/container.html

https://www.wvu.edu/~agexten/hortcult/flowers/cultrose.pdf

https://richmondrosesociety.com/bestforrichmond.htm

SuzieQ13

Thank you, and I will look at the links you posted when I get time.

However I believe I have figured out part of the problem with my QE.... :? It is about 20lbs, has orange long hair, and meows.... my darn cat Kit has been eating my sons QE. Not only does he eat my pineapple plant but it looks like he has moved on to eating roses as well. :twisted: :evil: Evil darn cat. :x He's in for it when I find him eating it, and the thing is I have catnip, and cat grass planted for him even! :roll: . GRR, anyways I'm off to skin a cat now.

*No I will not actually harm my cat, I do not condone the violence against animals, however I will scare him into hopefully leaving my plants alone because other substances that are supposed to deter them doesn't work.* :roll:

luis_pr
Greener Thumb

All I can say is: :lol: :lol: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :shock: :lol:

I wonder why it is doing that? bored? who knows???? :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

SuzieQ13 wrote:Thank you, and I will look at the links you posted when I get time.

However I believe I have figured out part of the problem with my QE.... :? It is about 20lbs, has orange long hair, and meows.... my darn cat Kit has been eating my sons QE. ... He's in for it when I find him eating it, and the thing is I have catnip, and cat grass planted for him even! :roll: ... I will scare him into hopefully leaving my plants alone because other substances that are supposed to deter them doesn't work.* :roll:
Have you tried using a spray bottle filled with water set on "Stream" rather than "Spray"? The element of surprise is important, too; be sure the cat doesn't know you see him, then, all at once:

1) jump out at him
2) shoot a stream of water at his nose/rear end, whichever is closer or easier to get
3) tell him "Bad Cat! NO!"

This will *either* discourage him from the behavior or, given the nature of cats, make him indulge in it less often but in a more sneaky manner. (I speak as a lifelong cat lover; I know about sneaky cats. *sigh*) However, if this water-bottle routine persists, the cat is likely to become disgusted with the whole affair and give it up, to the extent that simply leaving the water bottle in the "Bad Cat! NO!" location will remind him that he has urgent business elsewhere.

Good luck.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

(You may find that your cat is impervious to the water-spray routine, though. A neighbor cat ignored me completely while he ATE my catnip growing outside and I was watering the plants, letting water run down his face, head, the whole nine yards. :shock: Nothing was going to come between him and that plant.)

Return to “Rose Forum”