Gardening Mom
Newly Registered

Carrots - What Variety???

I've been reading about carrots. :wink: Who knew there were so many varieties? I just wanted to grow some this summer with my 3 year old. Does anyone have any suggestions or stories about carrot seeds and growing carrots?

Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Their are some really neat Heirloom Varieties of carrots such as a red variety and I believe a purple variety. Carrots should be planted in somewhat sandy soil but, the soil needs to have enough nutrients in it to support the carrots. I planted about 7 different varities in my garden last year (which had very sandy soil) and they took all summer and part of the fall to mature. Basically, add some manure to your plot before planting the carrots.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Carrots will stall as soon as they hit an obstruction, so plant the short varieties that will yield in a less than perfect soil (or build perfect soil; ask Opa how, he's our soil wiz...) :D

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I just picked up a plethora of Heirloom Carrot Seeds at the Seedy Saturday Symposium this past weekend. The varieties that I bought were: Scarlet Nantes, Purple Dragon, Nutri Red, St. Valerie (pink) and Amsterdam gold (yellow). I also bought another purple variety whose seed packet is currently eluding me. Anyway, you can buy the above listed varieties from:

www.plantingseedsproject.com

or you can email them at:

plantingseedsproject@yahoo.ca

Also, thought that I should mention that Carrots were originally purple and that they have been bread over many generations to be what we normally think of as a Carrot. The orange varieties do have a higher sugar content than the purple varieties though.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'm orange with envy...

:lol:

Scott

rowena

:D Love those carrots! Let me tell you the story of our carrots. One year we planted Danves Half Long variety, got them planted late and when frost hit they were to small to harvest Soooooo we just covered them with bales of hay and left them in the ground to see what they would do. Weeell--- we were amazed. They grew and grew and then grew some more, as we wanted carrots we just went to the garden and dug them up all winter long. They were super tender and were big, I mean HUGE. Most of the time only one carrot would be all we needed for a meal. They lasted all winter with some still left when time come to plant the Spring garden. We have some really bad winters here in Arkansas so it was really a nice surprise that they withstood the freezes we had. Best and the most carrots I ever grew. Good luck with yours.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Neat idea Rowena! Who needs a root cellar? :lol:

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

That reminds me of one of my neighbours when I was a little boy. He would grow these carrots in his garden that were absolutely humongous!! It took me an entire weekend to eat one of them. Congratulations on your gardening prowess.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Derrida!

Thanks for the great post! :D

You and Opa should really hit it off!

Hope to see you here again...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just planted all those varieties of carrots yesterday in the Vegetable Garden, look foreward to eating them.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Just planted all those varieties of carrots yesterday in the Vegetable Garden, look foreward to eating them.

NZG

I usually grow just a normal orange carrot. I don't care for names/breeds. They all taste just as good as one another once freshly pulled from the garden.

I'm trying a different breed this coming summer - purple dargon. I believe its a heirloom carrot. And for young kids, what could be more fun that eeating weird colour vegetables?! 8)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Purple Dragon has been talked about a lot this year in the foody AND gardening mags here; seems to be catching fast...

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, Purple Dragon is one of the varieties of carrot that I planted, I have heard that it isn't as sweet as the orange varities but, I guess I will find out for myself in a few months. :idea:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Anxiously awaiting reports...

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”