carnumbernine

Snipping Blackberries...(2 pics)

I can't tell if I am supposed to snip this plant. I planted it in the fall and it is a thornless blackberry plant. I do understand it is suffering from spider mites and am currently treating it, however.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/28096188@N07/5575342070/
[url]https://www.flickr.com/photos/28096188@N07/5575340276/in/photostream/[/url]

JONA878
Greener Thumb

Hi Carnumbernine.
I wouldn't try to cut your bush down for the first year...just let it grow and develope some strong canes. Then you can think about training it from next year.
I would say though that you must get on top of that red-spider. It can do an awful lot of damage to young shoots and leaves and once it has started to produce a lot of webbibg can be a devil to control.
Blast it with a hose pipe will get rid of a huge amount. Red-spider does not like damp conditions.

Good luck
:lol:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="carnumbernine"]I can't tell if I am supposed to snip this plant. I planted it in the fall and it is a thornless blackberry plant. I do understand it is suffering from spider mites and am currently treating it, however.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks!

I planted 4 thornless blackberry plants earlier this year and from what I've read, the canes it produces this year will give you a crop of berries next year around June/July. Some sites recommend you tie something around the fruiting canes to mark them so when they stop bearing fruit, you cut them away from the plant since they will not produce more fruit. Leave any new canes that come up next year to continue to produce a crop the following year and so forth.

I've dealt with wild blackberries all my life and love the fruit but not the thorns. I decided to find some space in my yard and plant some. I also put up a trellis for the canes to be woven into for support and it is quite simple, but sturdy. I placed three 2x4x10 ft. about 2 ft. into the ground with the 2 outside ones 12 ft. apart, then placed one in the middle so the longest span is just under 6 ft. I then took four 2x4x12 ft. long and ripped them down the middle and screwed them to the upright 2x4's at 1 ft. intervals, alternating them from front side to back side on the uprights. This way, the canes have a lot of room to grow into the trellis and cutting the canes will be much easier than a traditional wire trellis.

carnumbernine

Awesome-thank you for the advice! I wasn't sure if I was doing anything wrong.

I hope to get rid of the mites in the next few weeks as I treat the plant.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time I handled an infestation from this yard. I think I need to invest in some lady bugs too!

JONA878
Greener Thumb

carnumbernine wrote:Awesome-thank you for the advice! I wasn't sure if I was doing anything wrong.

I hope to get rid of the mites in the next few weeks as I treat the plant.

Unfortunately, it's not the first time I handled an infestation from this yard. I think I need to invest in some lady bugs too!
Afraid that Lady Bugs...what we call Ladybirds....are not that good with red-spider.
You need a beastie called Phytoseiulus...a very tiny creature that you can buy in their thousands mixed with bran or similar medium.
Most good Garden Centres would stock or any Bio- garden site would supply.

carnumbernine

Oh ok. Thank you for avoiding a mistake lol

Return to “All Other Fruit”