HydroCura

Green pepper plant

Hi
Maybe I'm asking too many questions. But this one is important.
I have a green pepper plant growing upside down(picture). I did that because where I planted it, I've put too many fertilizer in the soil. So I had to put it in another place. Well it's growing great but when the flowers open, they fall down after 1 day or 2 days. I don't know why. It's getting enough (not too much) fertilizer. And it keeps growing. Only the flowers fall down the next day or after 2 days. Does someone know why??
[img]https://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/181559_194927410542132_159697034065170_597592_5434916_n.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Blossom drop is a sign of stress in a plant. They let go of the flowers to focus on survival. Your plant is looking stressed and not very healthy, barely making it. I don't know that that is due to the upside down position or something about light/ soil/ water/ nutrients. But anyway it is not doing well enough to have the energy/ resources to be able to fruit.

Here's a picture of what a pepper plant should look like--full and leafy/bushy and dark green:

[url=https://www.southernliving.com/healthy-living/gardening/garden-designed-first-time-gardeners-00400000008662/]green pepper plant[/url]

applestar
Mod

Yes to stressed. To me it looks a bit like it wants more light. peppers won't set fruit if it's too hot, if that might possibly be your situation.

If this plant is indoors, tapping the branches/flower stalks to shake loose their pollen will help to pollinate them.

HydroCura

I live in the Caribean so maybe it is too hot. But I had other pepper plants in this same garden and they got fruits. It gets enough sun. Enough fertilizer. And I also cut some leaves. I tought that there's not enough energy going to the flowers. But thanks! :lol:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The fertilizer you're using is one designed to support plants when they're flowering, correct? One higher in phosphorus?

HydroCura

No. I use for all. I don't remember the numbers. The label is gone :roll:

HydroCura

rainbowgardener wrote:Blossom drop is a sign of stress in a plant. They let go of the flowers to focus on survival. Your plant is looking stressed and not very healthy, barely making it. I don't know that that is due to the upside down position or something about light/ soil/ water/ nutrients. But anyway it is not doing well enough to have the energy/ resources to be able to fruit.

Here's a picture of what a pepper plant should look like--full and leafy/bushy and dark green:

[url=https://www.southernliving.com/healthy-living/gardening/garden-designed-first-time-gardeners-00400000008662/]green pepper plant[/url]
That's a nice pepper plant. Is it yours? My plant gets enough sun, water and nutrients. It has a perferct soil too. So I don't know the problem.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

HydroCura wrote:My plant gets enough sun, water and nutrients. It has a perferct soil too. So I don't know the problem.
If everything were perfect for your plant, then I would expect it to look more like the pic at the link rainbowgardener posted. Whatever the problem may be, I sincerely doubt that everything is quite perfect for your pepper plant. I encourage you to keep looking for the answer.

You mentioned that you had to plant the pepper as it is because you used too much fertilizer in its other ... previous? ... location. Is it possible that the roots were burned somewhat by the excess fertilizer, and the plant will just require some time to recuperate? Just a guess on my part. [img]https://bestsmileys.com/clueless/4.gif[/img]

HydroCura

Maybe that's the problem. But it ha been 2 months already! I'll just wait.
Thanks

HydroCura

Is it a good idea if I cut all the leaves and let is start a new life?

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”