se3388
Newly Registered

Most acidic tomato??

What is the most acidic tomato available today? I remember as a kid grabbing a tomato from the garden and if you had any cuts they would burn from the acid. Seems like the tomatoes today don't have as much acid, must be developing them for the wimps. LOL.

Steve E............

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

There are thousands documented varieties of tomatoes out there, some more acidic tasting than others, some balanced with sweetness and acidity, some more on acidic side. Some purposely crossed, some developed for whatever reason by whomever...

Heirlooms do offer some of the most diverse array of flavors. Personally, pure acidic varieties don't agree with my taste buds, but from what I've grown in the past, if you want a zing:

Beauty King
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye
Rutgers (mostly acidic, no sweetness at all to my taste)
Tangella

Few others noted for their mostly acidic flavor is Purple Calabash and Wisconsin 55...

Good luck, hope you will grow something with the taste you are after!

Regards,
D

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I've heard purple calabash is sour like lemons. I;m growing that this year. You could also try Lime Green Salad which is very tart as well. Check names and descriptions for lemon, lime, or grapefruit keywords.

I like to use lime green salad tomatoes instead of tomatillos in salsa. They add a great zip!

kimbledawn

if you want a zing:

Beauty King
Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye
Rutgers (mostly acidic, no sweetness at all to my taste)
Tangella
Really? I grew tangella and rutgers last year and I'm growing Beauty king and pink berkeley this year. I really have to slow down and really compare the tastes. Once I get fresh tomatoes I just wolf them down :D I know I love black prince on a blt.

se3388
Newly Registered

Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming.

Steve E.........

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Pink Berkeley Tie-Dye is SOOOOOOOOO good! I have fallen 100% in love with Brad's (wild boar) tomatoes. And I blame Mr. Webmaster :P

Return to “TOMATO FORUM”