jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Spring has sprung...... or has it?

First day of spring and its blowing and snowing. I spent some time in the garage painting beehives. I did go look at the garden and saw a few garlic coming up.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

IMO spring arrived here around mid feb. It'll be close to 90 in the coming days. By the time cold fronts get down here they're is nothing left of them....just a wind shift.

tedly
Cool Member

I got the first seeds in the ground today! And its supposed to snow the next few days. :(

dahoss2002

I always wait for my pecan trees to bud and that happened today.

annastasia76

well I'm not sure what is going on around here, we had 2-3 weeks of warm (almost hot) weather and now it's back to freezing, I had to cover my plants again because we are getting way too much rain and I don't want them to drown. yesterday I had to puncture larger holes into some of my containers because the water wasn't draining. I'm not complaining, I love the rain!!!

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

This morning four inches of fresh snow, and its still coming. I need to go prune the orchard, but would like some better weather for the job.

[img]https://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/jloft/Sunsets/bsfc_sunrise.jpg[/img]

Avonnow
Green Thumb

That picture should be a screen saver - breath taking - is that your back yard? Love it !! :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

My birthday is the first day of spring and I can tell you Spring has not sprung quite yet.

This is going to a year of slow starts for most of us I fear.

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Slow starts hmph. All you spoiled "long season" people. :P
I can't plant out for at LEAST another month, and that's only peas and brassicas. The rest can't/won't go until Memorial Day!
But yep, we have thunder sleet here as we speak. First it rained, then it snowed, and now it sounds a bit like hail hitting the windows. -sigh- I am ready for spring!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Gix!!

you look like a monkey and you act like one tooooooo........

Eric

Dixana
Greener Thumb

I thought the song went "and you smell like one too" ? :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

either way, but we probably say smell most of the time. :lol:

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Avonnow, I guess you could say its my backyard, it is not very far from home. Now here is some [url=https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/ss_wallpaper.jpg]wallpaper[/url] for you.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Hey you are not only a great gardner, but good with the computer. Thanks it is on my screen as we speak. It is beautiful.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

:roll:

gardenvt
Green Thumb

It has to be spring - the maple trees are running, the leaf buds are on the trees, the days are longer and my tarragon is coming up. If I poked around a bit, I think I would find more signs of spring.

It's early spring.

M.Clark

Here in Michigan, it was here last week (mid 60's) and gone this week (low 30's with snow and ice).

My wife tells me that she wants to move to FL.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

gardenvt wrote:It has to be spring - the maple trees are running, the leaf buds are on the trees, the days are longer and my tarragon is coming up. If I poked around a bit, I think I would find more signs of spring.

It's early spring.
My Willows are leafing out like crazy, this bulb and that bulb are sprouting, various other things are coming to life. But be careful, we have 2 - 3 day's of freezing temps ahead this week. I don't think that will be the last this year.

It may seem like spring to the plants but don't' tell them winter hasn't released it's grasp yet, at least in my opinion.

tedly
Cool Member

Rain snow and sleet this afternoon. :(

Dixana
Greener Thumb

5 inches of snow and counting :(
The hubby keeps saying it will be gone by the end of the weekend because the ground is thawed....but that's easy for him to say when he's trucking in KY with the A/C going because it's warm and sunny. :roll:
I figure we'll have another month or so of cold enough temps for snow then everything will be a big mud pit. My new house and garden are up on a hill though, first things to dry out :D Can't wait!!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Incredible sky!!! Thanks for sharing!!! Have not seen one in such "flame color" for many years around here!

The weather... Last weekend was 85F, and tomorrow night dropping down to 25 in my area, go figure... Will have to cover young sprouts tomorrow after work with some row covers... Few following nights 30F as well.

And at the same time, first early container variety of tomatoes are blooming under the grow lights in the basement :lol:

Regards,
D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have had above average temperatures for 2 weeks. I could have planted my whole garden 2 weeks ago but you can never trust the weather. I am waiting at lease 2 more weeks. We have had temperatures in the 70s and 80s. This early warm weather will bring more tornadoes. We had tornado warnings again today.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Lovely Utah Sky, Jal!

Heat? Tornadoes? Snow?

Well, by tomorrow we should have had a week of afternoon highs above 50°F! Let's see -- there was 1 day in January (!), 1 day in February, and it will be 5 days scattered throughout this month. And, no -- it hasn't made it to 55°F, yet.

Slow warm-up? Yeah . . . . .

Steve :roll:
at least the WS took the snow out of our forecast . . . looks like they took the sun out too . . ..

gardenvt
Green Thumb

If you keep an almanac or journal, you will find that there are years when it is slower to warm up. Last year spoiled us - we had about 2 inches of snow in March and this year over 40" (so far) and it is the third snowiest winter on record. We will have more freezing temperatures - in fact, we are very cold here this week and won't see average temps until next Wednesday.

That doesn't mean spring hasn't arrived - it means we just haven't reached the late spring we are all waiting for. It is hard to be patient when we have long cold and snowy winters as we did this year. It has been an extreme weather year and hopefully we will be rewarded with a beautiful summer.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Another two inches of snow cover this morning. I guess this is why I never bother to plant until April. Its just too darn cold for anything to grow in March. The crocus are blooming though. I don't know how they do it.

Have a great day!

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/sr_jan_6_2010.jpg[/img]

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear Jal. We just got 4 inches yesterday but it has mostly melted with more snow coming early next week. It may be Aug before I can get to my garden. :lol: :P

hit or miss
Green Thumb

We keep jumping back and forth between 80's and snow here in Kansas! Oh well! I planted beets, carrots, spinach and onions yesterday anyway! Jal, you take some awesome pics of God's creation!!!!

Dixana
Greener Thumb

Everything is a giant ice pit here because it gets just barely warm enough to melt off the snow then freezes again. I'm ready for some WARM WEATHER!!

Alan in Vermont

gardenvt wrote:It has to be spring - the maple trees are running, the leaf buds are on the trees, the days are longer and my tarragon is coming up. If I poked around a bit, I think I would find more signs of spring.

It's early spring.
I'm assuming, from your name, that you are in Vermont, as am I. Up here in Milton we've had many days this month where it was pleasantly sunny but with a NW or NNW wind, cold as a witches heart. Yesterday it was low teens in the morning, only made it to 33° for a high. It was warmer his morning, 22° but the wind is NNW gusting to 32. Ground that had bared off and started to thaw has been frozen for the past week. When the sun shines the surface will thaw by mid-afternoon but then it freezes rock hard overnight. Where snow drifted the ground is still snow covered. This year is proving that the first day of spring cannot be considered the first spring day. :cry:

Dixana
Greener Thumb

It might be cold outside BUT spring has sprung in my house! I have loads of flowers, melons, and about half my tomatoes sprouting! :D Defiantly helps the winters blahs to see some green everyday!
And the birds are still coming back in force so they must know something.....

gardenvt
Green Thumb

Alan, it has been cold even when the thermometer says it is supposed to be warm. The wind has been wicked from the N or NW. It is still March and Spring only arrived 9 days ago. Some of our biggest storms come the end of March/early April. I don't plan on planting out until the end of May except for the onion family.

The cardinals and other birds are singing their spring songs and soon that Robin will come to gobble up the worms in our lawn. I always think it is spring - definitely spring - when the Robin arrives to feast.

I wouldn't mind some warmer temperatures. It would make spring yardwork and gardening more pleasant. I like those days when you start with a light jacket and quickly go to a vest and then just a long sleeved shirt.

Sun would be good, too. I really need my sun.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/4_3_2011.jpg[/img]

Nice white scene this morning.

applestar
Mod

Oooh! Very pretty! :D

You know, I've only seen that kind of split rail fence design at a local heritage preservation farm and I *think* at the colonial Pennsbury Manor (William Penn's estate). 8)

soil
Greener Thumb

snow is a nice sight, but not this time of the year. sorry jal. the weather is perfect here and I went seed planting crazy today. must have planted over 1000 seeds.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

It cleared off this evening and the temp is 28°. It will likely drop some more before morning. I won't be planting seeds for a few more days to a week.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I could ask the obvious question, "Where's your garden, Jal?"

But, I'm trying to figure out the lay of your land. Out there in the country, a guy with my kind of memory and its need for landmarks could get lost . . . on a 60 second walk :o !

Is your garden down by the deciduous trees? (aspens?) Or, is it on the other side of the rail fence and those dense evergreens? (spruce?) Or, beyond the distant fence and those other evergreens?

So, "Where's your garden, Jal?"

Steve :wink:

Rogue11

jal_ut wrote:It cleared off this evening and the temp is 28°. It will likely drop some more before morning. I won't be planting seeds for a few more days to a week.

wow. All of a sudden our weather forecast with a high of only 61 for Thursday doesn't sound so bad anymore.

gardenvt
Green Thumb

We dodged the nor'easter on Friday and got a bit of rain. It was quite dreary. Today, it's a mix of rain and snow with temps in the 30-40's. No snow on our property and the ground is not frozen. We should have a warm up here by the end of the week - at least that is the promise.

The Robin came on Friday and they are hanging out and enjoying the lawn. A number of other birds are also hanging out and singing lovely spring songs.

jal - you have some beautiful landscapes/views where you live. I'm sure you would be happy to get down to the gardening but that view is really beautiful.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”