herb
Newly Registered

Sick peace lillie

Hi, I bought a peace lillie from a nursury about 3 months ago. It's kinda big and was very healthy when I bought it. It's kept inside the house and does not get direct sunlight. At first I watered it once a week. It then started taking less water to fill the large plate ( I empty it out ) that the pot sits on and the leaves began to wilt so I used the finger test on the soil and started watering it every other week. The wilting has only gotten worse! Can anyone please help ? It will be very much appreciated. Thanks, Herb

Flowerpots

They like sun light ?? or filtered light I should say

Grey
Greener Thumb

[url=https://www.flowershopnetwork.com/pages/newsletter/NewsletterMarch2003.php]This website may help[/url].

It may need a little bit more sun - they like bright indoor light, or filtered sunlight, not exacly happy with low light levels.

Hope that helps!

herb
Newly Registered

Thanks, This does help alot!!
Thanks, Herb

Newt
Greener Thumb

Hi Herb,

Two thoughts come to mind. Your plant may be rootbound and can't take up water to the center of the rootball. Lack of sun won't make it wilt. If you are watering from the bottom up, that can make it worse. Try watering from the top down until you see water in the saucer. Then let the plant sit in the water for 15 minutes before you remove any extra water. The next day it shouldn't be wilted anymore. Now GENTLY take it out of the pot to see if it's rootbound. Take a look here.
https://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_question.php?id=70

It that's what you see then it's time to losen the roots and give it a new pot that's 2" larger.
https://www.ourgardengang.com/containerpotting.htm

I grow 2 different varities and one never gets direct sun and it blooms on and off. I use organic fertilizers. Sometimes I will put a tablespoon of milk in the water or use the just emptied milk container filled with water to give my plants a drink. I water when the top inch or two of soil is dry and they thrive.

Newt

herb
Newly Registered

Thanks Newt, this is great information. You have given me excellent help in the past and again this is very much appreciated. Herb

Newt
Greener Thumb

Herb, you are so very welcome! I was just re-reading my last post to you and I forgot to mention that there are generally two reasons a houseplant will wilt. One is not enough water and another is too much water. The plant becomes so waterlogged it gets a root rot and wilts.

I'd love to know what you find when you look at the roots.

Newt

herb
Newly Registered

Definitely overwatered, surprisingly the roots looked ok. It looked as though it hadn't been in the pot very long and there were no roots at the bottom(fortunately) or from what I've learned here it would have had root rot. I know now that it was overwatered and changed my watering habits according to your suggestions. It's still early but it's already looking better.Thanks again Newt! for this post and others youv'e helped me with and all the info which I keep. Thank you, Herb

Newt
Greener Thumb

Herb, I'm so glad you were able to figure out what is going on. I just watered my plants today and several were wilted because I forgot to water them! I do that all the time and they wilt and call out to me. :shock:

Glad I can help,
Newt

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”