jasbo

Any luck starting peas indoors?

Greetings: I'm wondering what kind of success people have had starting peas indoors. I don't see it among the common things people start in cells -- the peppers, tomatoes, lettuce, etc. -- and I don't remember seeing them in stores at planting time. But I've got some pea seeds and more cells than I know what to do with in a tray I'm about to start. (Yeah, I should have bought the 36-cell, but the 72 was just a buck and a half more; you know the story.)

If it matters, the seeds I have are Little Marvels, and they could move out to a raised bed in 5 to 6 weeks, probably mid-April. Thanks for in advance for any info you guys can provide.

Jim

wordwiz
Green Thumb

Earlier this year, I sowed 100 seeds in 200-cell trays (other half was Chard) and transplanted them three weeks later. They easily could have gone another week. They did well enough that this past week I sowed 1600 more.

Mike

alaskagold

I don't have any problems... I started snap peas. They usually bounce back if there is a little frost from trasplanting them into the ground from their starter area.

Good Luck!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at this post from last year. I started snap peas and runner beans in gutters. Worked really well, I'm doing it again now.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=122345&highlight=peas+gutter#122345

Eric

jasbo

Thanks. Sounds promising. I like the way this is shaping up: Three kinds of tomatoes in the cells that are over the heating pad and the cool-season peas and lettuce in the cells that are off to the side.

Jim

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jim,

That's it in a nutshell. :wink:

Eric

wordwiz
Green Thumb

I sowed 600 Super Sugar Snap peas on the third. The first ones came up this either Sunday or Monday. Checked them this evening, the worst tray has 150 of the 200 up (75%). The other two look even thicker. I plan on leaving them upstairs, in the warmth, for maybe another week, as we are predicted to have temps in the upper 20s to low 30s for the next week, then moving them to the GH.

So far, so good!

Mike

soil
Greener Thumb

I have snow peas in cells right now.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”