bwhite829

need help w/ peppers.

I wasn't sure to post this here sicne its veggies, herbs, since some is herbs or container gardening, and didn't want to make a triple post, so mods move it if necessary.

Basically, I've got several tubs, I've got a layer of rocks for drainage, with holes in the tubs, then I've got gardensoil and horse manuere. on top of that I hand sprinkled 8-8-8 fertilizer, and washed it in good. I laid some lettuce which is growing great, then I've got rainbow bells, wax, banana, and cayenne peppers. the dill, which is a combo of mammoth and boquet has started to sprout some, but other than that nothing much at all has sprouted. I've got some companion herbs w/ each of the pepper tubs. is it just still too cold to get them? I don't know what to do :(

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My pepper seeds took the longest to sprout. I had just about given up on them when they poked through the potting mix and are now doing fine. Give them a bit more time and see what happens.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, peppers can be slow to sprout, especially if the soil they are in isn't real warm. I start mine indoors on heat mats, and they still take more than a week. Without the heat mats, a lot slower. If it isn't real warm yet where you are, you can warm up the soil a bit, by watering with warm water.

alaskagold

Your peppers will come up. I planted Texas TAM's, Hungarian yellow, a really hot one (forgot the name) and a couple jalapeno's about a week ago. None of them have sprouted yet.

Just keep an eye on them. :)

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I've had my peppers in soil for over 3 weeks now and I got nothing so far. And it's been warm borderline hot here.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

@ FB -- Bell peppers or hot peppers? I don't grow hot peppers, but I've heard they are slower to start than the bells. If they are bells, I'd start some back ups if you have them; that seems like too long.

ThePepperSeed
Cool Member

my hot peppers take anywhere from 2 - 5 weeks to sprout since I germinate them in my basement where the temps hover in the mid 60's.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

How long have your seeds been in?

I'd say to give it at least 2 weeks and see if you get any sprouts.

One thing to mention, though, is that if your soil is not that well draining, you peppers could get rotten sitting in water-logged soil. So, give them a chance to dry out before you water them again.

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I sprouted a bunch of tomatos, and regular peppers, hot peppers and some cubanos(?) anyhow the peppers are like watching a snail crawl - I just started to ignore them because they are so slow. The tomato's are all looking great and much much bigger - yet germinated at same time. The peppers are just starting to perk up and grow it has been two months since I started them. I think it is the warmth, even here in Central FL - I don't think the days have been warm enough, long enough for them to get going. Also watch the water - I make sure now I have my best pots for peppers they die so easy from too much water or water retention. The really nice pepper tree (HOT) and Pepper plant I have on my patio - they are from last year, I water them maybe once every 10 days - They are doing great. I also have a Marconi patio pepper that is doing great - I just stay away from it with the hose. You think they need it - but they don't, they like it drier. Best of luck. NOTE - next year I will plant peppers even earlier then this year which was Jan 1st. I want to have them doing much better by this time. Best of luck to you! Hey if any of your peppers ever end up being fantastic, let us other Florida people know, I have yet to find anything that gives me a BIG FAT Pepper. I mean they are edible, I just want once to see a nice big fat pepper. :)

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:@ FB -- Bell peppers or hot peppers? I don't grow hot peppers, but I've heard they are slower to start than the bells. If they are bells, I'd start some back ups if you have them; that seems like too long.

Bell peppers. I just planted another set of the same pepper (different packet of seeds), hopefully these will germinate.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”