GardenRN
Greener Thumb

White currant seeds

I got some white currant seeds in a trade. Never even knew what currants were but now I'm gonna grow them and see what I can do with them. Anyone have any tips on germination? Do they have to be cold stratified? Tough to grow? blah blah blah...I don't know anything about these and a google search on germination tips yielded very little info.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

Never seen white currants. I'm growing black, red and golden.
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Orchard/OrchardJuly14th002.jpg[/img]

Seeds may be fun, but I will be trying to propagate cuttings this year.

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

California Rare Fruit Growers organization offers this comment:
Propagation: Currant seeds germinate if stratified for three to four months at temperatures just above freezing. Seedlings are prolific and do not vary much from parent. Bushes grown from seed bear when two or three years old.
See the entire article [url=https://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/currants.html]here[/url].

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

ugh...two to three years old? I may be way too impatient for this plant. I'm not one who enjoys waiting for years for things. I'm a much bigger fan of instant gratification. :?

GardenRN
Greener Thumb

are these going to survive a Z 7 winter or am I going to have to be ready to bring them inside??

soil
Greener Thumb

plant them in the fall in a protected area outside(unless in a warm climate) and they should germinate in the spring. I prefer to take cuttings from currants but since you have seeds go for it.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jeff,

No problem growing in zone 7. Most currants, gooseberries are zoned 3 through 8/9.

I looked up my yellow currant, it's considered a white variety. :roll:

Eric

alaskagold

I have white currents. Very tart and they grow pretty well since they are in a zone 3 at the moment.

I would say you are one lucky person to have them.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”