gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Green mold/fungus on starters??????

I have been having this issue and so far it hasn't seemed to be a problem but I sure don't wan' to loos anything.

It is a green fungus/mold that is on top of the soil. I have been kinda rubbing it out till now but it may be growing. Any ideas as to what it might be or any ideas on what I can use to kill it. I have been putting Chamomile tea bags in with my water, last year I did that as well as cinnamon.

applestar
Mod

Maybe set up and run your seedling fan to dry out the surface a bit more? I believe kisal said this is algae (I was thinking mildew, but maybe that's not correct). Imperialboy recently posted a photo, I think.

Maybe a little less water. But try one or the other first, not both at once.

hydroguy

Understand first that algae requires 2 things to grow; light & moisture. Remove one or both and the algae is gone. I just spent a good part of the morning going through my seedlings to prevent the build up of algae, my solution is to add more hydroton on top of the rockwool cube that stays moist at all times. I flood from the bottom and the top layer of rocks is all ways dry, never any algae. But let that rockwool stay exposed to light and its green and not in a good way in a short amount of time.

Your in soil but there is absolutely no difference in what causes your algae or what causes mine; light & moisture. You could bottom water your seedlings and let the top dry out between waterings or you can somehow cover the dirt to block the light until the plants are large enough to do this for you.

Our gardening methods my be different but we all share some of the same issues. Best of luck in your grow.

hydroguy

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes when I hear algae that seems more appropriate. I thought about the fan, I should hook it up.

Is this kind of thing really dangerous or just a small setback. I have never had this sort of thing. Though I have delt with many other problems. Thanks for the advice.

:clap:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Top of my seed soil tends to green up a little like that. As noted it is a combination of too much moisture and too little air circulation. But one thing I do is just sprinkle a little more potting mix on top of the green areas. The dry potting mix sucks some of the moisture away and covering it keeps light away from it. That seems to take care of it pretty well.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”