Halfway
Green Thumb

Toilet Paper Tubes

And paper towel tubes...have to be some of the best browns for a compost pile.

They breakdown easily because of their thin size. They flex open to allow oxygen to circulate. They tend to be abundant. :)

I like to add 3-5 each time I drop in kitchen waste. It seems to be a happy balance. 8)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

You can also use them as seed starting tubes. :)

Eric

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Or anti-cutworm devices.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Halfway
Green Thumb

hahahahahahahaha!

Each response had me laughing harder.

Wish I could continue the chain, but I'm laughing too hard to come up with anything witty!

:lol:

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Hold one up to your mouth and yell "YO HO HO AND A BUCKET OF COMPOST" before you throw it into the pile. Makes them rot better.

BTW the TP makers have been sneaking up on the idea of coreless TP. Those cardboard tubes will go the way of the buggy whip in the near future.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Oh, but they need that, don't they? :P

Halfway
Green Thumb

Tubeless???

Oh the humanity!

The folks at work are now sticking the empty tubes in a bag for me!! So, along with coffee grounds and shredded cardboard, I have tubes!!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Among the fans of my other hobby - vintage audio equipment - the phrase "I have tubes!" usually means someone discovered a valuable old amplifier in someone's basement. :P

Halfway
Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote:Among the fans of my other hobby - vintage audio equipment - the phrase "I have tubes!" usually means someone discovered a valuable old amplifier in someone's basement. :P
I hear ya. Being an avid mountain biker and motocrosser, "I have tubes" usually means recue from pinch flats!

Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:And they call this progress!
I'm going to run right down to the county courthouse and stock up on toilet paper tubes. There must be a huge supply stacked up somewhere in that building :wink: :wink: .
I don't want anything touched by a attorney in my garden. Just kidding!

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

Attorneys are fully compostable, although they are a very strong Green for several reasons, and they should be run through a chipper-shredder to ensure complete decomposition. Some parts are very durable and you don't want to keep seeing them over and over. 8)

Kidding of course! :lol:

Halfway
Green Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote:Attorneys are fully compostable, although they are a very strong Green for several reasons, and they should be run through a chipper-shredder to ensure complete decomposition. Some parts are very durable and you don't want to keep seeing them over and over. 8)

One must be very careful of methane gas buiuld up. And yes, a shredder or repeated passes with a riding lawn mower may be necessary.

:lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yikes, The movie Fargo!

rot
Greener Thumb

toxcrusadr wrote: ... although they are a very strong Green for several reasons, ...

Another reason I prefer that other word for manure. When you use that other word, you really know what you're dealing with. Such an awful thing: that Latin oppression of the Anglo-Saxon.

to sense

PatioFarms
Newly Registered

I've been using toilet and paper towel tubes to wrangle cable and charger cords for years. They work great, are free and you never run out.

When I figure out patio composting, I'll make sure to toss the extras in!

Return to “Composting Forum”