erik
Newly Registered

Sea Spray

I live about a mile from the beach. Will this cause any problems? thanks !

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I live on a Island. I don't notice any difference.

If you were right on the shoreline than probably yes.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think a mile is far enough away. I've never personally gardened near the ocean, but unless the soil is heavy with salts, or the spray actually permeates the air around the plants, I think everything should be okay.

I think your best source of specific information would be the nearest Extension Service office. They will be knowledgeable about plant varieties that do well in your area. If there is no Extension Service office nearby, you could talk to the staff at some local nurseries or independent garden supply stores. Local nurseries and independent garden stores usually carry varieties that will succeed for their customers. :)

nes
Green Thumb

I've heard seaweed is EXCELLENT fertilizer, just make sure you rinse it off really well first :)

erik
Newly Registered

I've heard seaweed is EXCELLENT fertilizer, just make sure you rinse it off really well first
thank you all ! should I rip the kelp up into little peices? and should I just mix it in with my soil ?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Probably chop it up a bit, as some of that seaweed is very thick and strong. So would take awhile to break down, without help by being chopped a bit. But it is fantastic garden fertilizer, and free too! Get busy and save lots for your compost. Works fantastic. Good Luck. :)

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”