Chaesman

Grass planting and variety question

Here is the situation. I have 2 acers that grows nothing but weeds as a lawn for the most part. There are a few patches of bermuda from where we use to have horses and it seams to do ok but I am not a huge fan of it other than the fact it is a nice green.

I am looking to get this 2 acers into shape slowly but steadily.

We added about a 5200 sq garden and this weekend we put up a portable greenhouse What I would like to do is start small with this lawns (I don't want to invest hundreds in seeds to have it fail.

The area I want to try is shaded in the morning and full sun in the afternoon it is approximatley 20ft x 50ft.

The soil is a sandy mixture and drains extremly fast. I need a hardy drought resistant variety I am on the boarder line of 6a/6b zone with in 5 miles. location is missouri. I would also like this grass to with stand High traffic (Got grandbabies). So here are my questions

1. Good variety to attempt.
2. When to plant new seed
3. How many punds of seed for an area the size mentioned
4 how often to water.
5. any other tips

if this works out well we will expand the area a little each fall and spring till we are where we need to be needless to say watering 2 acers all at once would be a nightmare

Thanks
Jon
Ps. Lots of what the call Goats head weeds in yard (thorny little buggers that hurt bare feet.

applestar
Mod

I'm not a lawn person, so this is just an idea for you to think about especially since you do have grandkids (big or small?) -- and not a real advice. :wink:

I have what most people would consider "weedy" lawn. :lol:
- Between the front porch and the driveway -- basically the landing area after you get out of the car and walk to the front door, where it is sunny and hardbaked, compacted, and trafficked, I planted thyme. It's wonderful to walk on -- the fragrance is amazing and the scent is refreshing. Flowers are dainty and charming.
- In the backyard, peppermint has escaped the herb garden and grows in the high traffic area from the back patio out. It's wonderful to walk on and the sharp scent is intense when being mowed (I use a push reel mower). It's great when you have a stuffy nose. :>
- The stretches from front yard through the two side gates and into the backyard are mostly white clover. Honey sweet scent and friendly buzzing bees mark sunny days when they're in bloom.
- Dandelions are everywhere. My kids gather the flowers by the bucketful in spring and we make dandelion flower syrup. (No chemicals anywhere in our garden. We have no-pick zone around the perimeter of the property bordering the neighbors.)
- In the shady moist areas, ground ivy/creeping charlie have taken over. They're first flowers to bloom in early spring when there are not much else, and the bees zero in. I think it helps to have them mark my garden as a "must visit" destination, and they will be around for pollinating my garden later as well. I enjoy the medicinal tangy scent when mowing.
- In the dry shade under the willow tree behind the swingsets, I've allowed lemon balm to take over. They get trampled on and I don't care because I have harvesting clumps in the herb and vegetable garden. I believe the lemony scent helps to repel mosquitoes.

None of these areas (except the dry shade under the oak) are bare of grass so we still have to mow, but they all grow together quite happily, and when the grass are dormant, the other plants surge up to take their place.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jon,

One question, WHY! do you want 2 acres of lawn.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Eric - that was my first thought too, except that he said he already has over 5000 sq ft of garden and a greenhouse. So probably doesn't want to convert more of his acres to garden.

But Chaesman, I definitely agree with Applestar and with Eric's general thought. I'm not a lawn person either, and to me if you just keep whatever grows there mowed, then it is all green and even height and it looks ok. Alternatively, turn some of it into native wildflower/grasses meadow and you will only have to mow it a couple times a year (to keep the woody stuff down) and it will be beautiful and draw bees and butterflies, etc.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

First how did Apple leepfrog me by ten minutes. :?

Eric - that was my first thought too, except that he said he already has over 5000 sq ft of garden and a greenhouse. So probably doesn't want to convert more of his acres to garden.
Sure, I can understand this. Why not do pasture management. Cut it only twice a year. Lease it out to someone with, sheep, goats or couple cows. Pigs if he wants the soil cultavated. Done correctly it will increase soil fertility.

How about covering it with trees. Return the native woods that may have been there.

Jon, Just some ideas.

Eric

Chaesman

Thank you for all the suggestions I am reading all of them carefully and given it thought. Trees have allways been in the plan and I don't plan on converting the whole 2 aceres to lawn (Bad wording on my choice) But I would like some nice areas for the kids to enjoy.. It can't all be for grandma and grandpa (Or Can it?? LOL)

Jon

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Jon,

Maybe look into the Land Stewardship or Forest Stewardship programs. I believe its a USDA program. Save on taxes :D A future for your grandchildren.

Eric

Return to “Lawn Care”