RuHappy69

Best tasting pole beans and climbing cucumbers???

Last year we planted Kentucky Wonder and we did not like the taste very much (bitter). I was wondering the consensus on the best tasting pole beans (yellow or green).. Also, many packets of cucumbers do not state they are climbers. Any suggestions on the best ones? The last 2 years I have not had great cucumber success on my trellis. I live in northwest NJ, thanks!

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

I really can't speak for the beans, don't have much experience with them...

As for cukes, majority of cukes are vine types, so unless the package says "bush type" or something along those lines, it would likely to be a pretty safe bet that a variety will climb your trellis.

From non-hybrids, we always grow:

Boston Pickling
Homemade Pickling
Poona Kheera

But since our summers get very hot and humid, and Powdery and Downy mildew are pretty much guaranteed, the following hybrids have been a great performers with resistance to the dews:

Country Fair
Calypso
Classy
Eureka

Good luck!

Regards,
D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

RuHappy69 wrote:Last year we planted Kentucky Wonder and we did not like the taste very much (bitter). I was wondering the consensus on the best tasting pole beans (yellow or green).. Also, many packets of cucumbers do not state they are climbers. Any suggestions on the best ones? The last 2 years I have not had great cucumber success on my trellis. I live in northwest NJ, thanks!

I had limited success with Kentucky Wonder Pole Beans last year, but the year before they were plentiful and good. I switched to Japanese Yard Long beans and had a great harvest. I had grown them before and was impressed with their rate of growth and yield. The beans themselves grow to a length of up to 24 inches before they get beyond their "use by" size. I generally picked mine between 16-24 inches long.

As for cukes, I grow Straight 8 for slicing and will put in some Armenian cucumbers this year on recommendation from those on this site. I have had heavy yields over my summers with Straight 8's. I have a trellis 7 ft. tall x 12 ft. long and need to harvest cucumbers twice a week. It is not unusual for me to have to pick a dozen or more a week when in full swing.

Why not check local nurseries to see what varieties they recommend for your area?

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Oh yeah, good point on those Armenian cukes, many recommend it for thin skin and good taste regardless of size, trying this year as well for the first time.

Regards,
D

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Blue Lake beans have won some awards for being the best tasting beans. A lot of the TV garden shows recommend Blue Lake because they have no strings and they taste good. I have been planting Blue Lake for 25 years and they are the best tasting beans I have found.

If you plant bush beans you get more beans than pole beans probably twice as many beans. Disadvantage to bush beans it is hard on the back to bend over and pick them. Disadvantage to pole beans you have to mess around with poles a thunder storm can blow all your poles over.

nes
Green Thumb

Calypso cucumbers are yummy! I grew them last year, best for pickling though :).

I've also grown straight 8 on trellis, they are delicious for slicing as long as you don't let them get too big. They are very prolific so that can actually be a little hard to pull them all.

erlyberd
Cool Member

Never had any problems growing Kentucky Wonder for years now. I love the real bean flavor and productive as all heck. Not sure about why yours were bitter. They can and do get stringy if you put off picking.

The Purple Podded were pretty tasty and super productive as well. Are either of these two the best? Who knows but I think they taste good.

Actually, pole beans produce larger yields than bush beans, they are easier to pick, taste better IMOP and take up less space. Last year I planted five, thats right 5 bean seeds of Purple Podded and you would not believe the amount of beans I picked, plus I needed to save seeds so letting them fully mature on the vine lowers production! Amazing.

For the cukes straight eight is a good one and marketmore 76 has some disease resistance.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”