petthedog
Newly Registered

horribly confusing plant problem

Hi, I am having a bit of a strange plant problem! I have three Buddha Belly plants (Jatropha Podagrica), all of them are planted from seed and all of them are growing beautifully. The only problem is one of them has a slit down the middle of the stem... its aout seven inches (planted in mid july) and has three leaves on it, it looks the 2nd best out of all 3 plants. It looks as though it was just cut open! I know this did not happen however and was wondering if any one has a similar experience or at least some advice.... THANKS-
totally confused
-Rachel

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I've done a peer reviewed Journal search to see if there are any disease problems with the plant, there don't seem to be any major diseases affecting the plants.

I was thinking that the problem sounds like some sort of physical disturbance has damaged the plant though. Perhaps a weed eater, or a pet?

Very perplexing.

petthedog
Newly Registered

I really don't know what it is... I have seen what animals can do to plants and this does not match, it is a perfectly clean line down the stem. it really looks as though some one sliced it down the middle. no one I know would do this though, and really the only person other then me in contact with my plants is my mom... there grown in doors in brooklyn so pests arent likely... I really don't know, I have found nothing like this on the web!!! I don't even know what to do!!!

femlow

Its hard to say without being able to look at it what you could do. The only thing that comes to mind right now is depending on how wide the gash is and such, you may be able to bind it, so that it is reclosed and can have a chance to heal (which can take quite a while), without drying out the innards. I would use an undyed natural fiber, and don't get the fabric wet if you can avoid it.

Return to “What Doesn't Fit Elsewhere”