swimmer5555
Newly Registered

Best Avocado Variety to plant

Anyone know the best avocado variety to plant I am settling on a Lamb Hass right now.

DeborahL
Green Thumb

Haas is the only one I buy. It's the richest, creamiest avocado, IMO.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I prefer Santo Domingo Red (huge fruits which have smooth, red skin when ripe), but I'm not sure it's available outside of South America.

For the states, probably Hass.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I wish I could grow an avocado tree (free dip for life :o), but my climate is just too cold. I did start an avocado plant from a pit from a store-bought avocado, though.

From what I've read, it will take years before it will bear.

What's a yield like for an Alvarado tree?

applestar
Mod

I came across a really great wbpage on avocado varieties.... Now WHERE was it??? ...be back in a flash! :wink:

... :arrow: https://www.ucavo.ucr.edu/AvocadoVarieties/AvocadoVarieties.html
(The one you mentioned isn't on their list, is it, Lorax?)

Do come back and let us know your thoughts/conclusions. Are you planting in your garden? You must be located where you can grow them? I'm mostly limited to dreaming and growing them in containers for fun, so I just keep growing avocados from seeds.
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image8272.jpg[/img]

lorax
Greener Thumb

It does appear that Sto. Domingo Reds aren't there, but neither are a number of the cultivars that I grow/buy/eat down here.

For sheer flavour, nothing beats the Sto. Domingo, but for volume, there's a type called Emeralds that can weigh up to about 3 lbs each with small pits and yellowish flesh - they're sold as "party" avocados because one will make a whole snotload of dip or easily enough slices to accompany about 20 bowls of Locro de Queso (a hearty cheese and potato soup that is always eaten with a generous slice of avocado floated on top).

blah
Newly Registered

DO you have any information on them as I would be interested in grafting one? I noticed youre in ecudar? Are they local to that area? Where did u get yours from?

lorax
Greener Thumb

Garden5 - the yeild for a mature avocado tree in full production is close to 500 lbs a year.

Blah, I got my Sto. Domingo Red from a friend as a gift, and my Esmeraldas was a scion that I grafted onto roots from a random pit - everything I've mentioned are local cultivars to such an extent that I haven't even seen them in Colombia or Peru. I can't send live plant material at the moment (there are several complex and difficult to source permits that I don't have), but if you ask [url=https://www.ecuagenera.com]Ecuagenera[/url] nicely, they might be willing to source and sell you scions.
Last edited by lorax on Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

blah
Newly Registered

Thanks! I may just do that. I have many different varieties and am always interested in a new especially when you say its the best.

Blah

justme2
Newly Registered

scion wood
Last edited by justme2 on Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

justme2
Newly Registered

lorax wrote:Garden5 - the yeild for a mature avocado tree in full production is close to 500 lbs a year.

Blah, I got my Sto. Domingo Red from a friend as a gift, and my Esmeraldas was a scion that I grafted onto roots from a random pit - everything I've mentioned are local cultivars to such an extent that I haven't even seen them in Colombia or Peru. I can't send live plant material at the moment (there are several complex and difficult to source permits that I don't have), but if you ask nicely, they might be willing to source and sell you scions.
I would love to get a piece of your scion wood if your offering. Can you mail it?

lorax
Greener Thumb

I will reiterate:

I cannot send live plant material. I do not have the requisite permits.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”