sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

we're pretty much on the zone 4/5 line... the last few winters have been really mild. last spring we had a early and hot spring. so much so that it fried my newly planted raspberries! spring was a whole month early!

now I'm not sure what I want to plant. hmmm.....

brambleoak

soil - I'm going to plants some peas this year but I'm not sure if I'm going to Spring sow them or Fall sow them.... Fresh peas are soooo good!

sheeshshe - :( I too take it when the Spring is unpredictible and I loose new plants. Luckily, I have raspberries growing wild here and loads and loads of blackberries. I'm surrounded by berries and oaks (hense the user name) :lol:

Chaesman

Ok as I mentioned earlier in this thread I have started some cabbage and cauliflower and it seems I may have jumped the gun a bit as far as timeing goes.. any how friday my son is suppose to order us a portable green house just a 7 x 12 but it should be ample for moving plants around and the space is deffinatley needed.

I also came across this page while checking school closings

https://www.kfvs12.com/Global/category.asp?C=203366

I contains an almanac of the average temps for all 12 months over many years this information was collected by south east missouri university, which is located about 16 mile north of us and about 1 mile of off the mississippi river I am about 8 miles from the river. So if some one with a lot more experiance could glance it over it would be greatly appreciated so I will have a more educated guess than me as to when it would be most likely ok to start putting plants in the garden..

Thanks

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

chaesman,

Looking at the records, I would plant the cauliflower and cabbage, first to mid March. You may want to have floating row cover handy.

Eric

Chaesman

Thanks for the information I realy do appreciate it I still have so much to learn. On a Plus note the Green House is ordered and payed for suppose to arrive between the 8th and the 14th Nice Valentines gift for my wife

soil
Greener Thumb

soil - I'm going to plants some peas this year but I'm not sure if I'm going to Spring sow them or Fall sow them.... Fresh peas are soooo good!
I'm talking about snow peas, which you eat the whole young pod not the little round peas. not sure how cold tolerant the regular peas are. ive had snow peas live down to 20 degrees.

on a side note I just tossed out a ton of quinoa seeds and they have sprouted, even 5 days AFTER our last small rain, all sunny days, still sprouted and are growing. tuff stuff.

Return to “Seed Starting Discussions”