hardland

Imidacloprid.

An article about the Bee hive collapse.

https://www.safelawns.org/blog/index.php/2011/01/blockbuster-research-usda-scientist-confirms-pesticides-can-kill-bees/

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

There's a very interesting story about that:

https://www.businessinsider.com/colony-collapse-disorder-still-unsolved-lead-researcher-had-connections-to-bayer-2010-10

Very revealing about how our regulatory system works (or doesn't)

Here's a little piece from above article:

A day after The New York Times article ran, Fortune published an article revealing an omission in the in initial story: the link between the lead bee researcher in Montana, Dr. Jerry Bromenshenk, and Bayer CropScience:
"In recent years, Bromenshenk has received a significant research grant from Bayer to study bee pollination. Indeed, before receiving the bayer funding, Bromenshenk was lined up on the opposite side: He had signed on to serve as an expert witness for beekeepers who brought a class-action lawsuit against Bayer in 2003. He then dropped out and received the grant."
The convenient lack of detail points to another noticeable oversight in Bromenshenk's study and the Times article — the impact of pesticides on dying bees. And what chemical conglomerate is responsible for manufacturing the pesticides that lace all our fields and flowers in the toxins that honey bees then feast on?
That's right, Bayer.

..... Imidacloprid, the most widely-used neonicotinoid, is different than other insecticides because it enters the pollen and nectar of the plant, not just the leaves (this is also what makes the chemical so good at its job). Hackenberg describes bees under the influence of neonicotinoids as “drunkâ€

hardland

I went to an outdoor event last weekend that was set up for homeowners to learn about all aspects of the outside of there home: Tree trimming, Termites, Palm tree care, Lawn turf health, etc. There was a bee keeper who had a set up also, he did not want to hear about the bee "issue" at all, exept to relay that it was definately a virus, not caused by chemicals or pesticides, at all.
Every other exhibit seemed to be promoting commercial products as well, made me wonder a little bit.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

hardland wrote: There was a bee keeper who had a set up also, he did not want to hear about the bee "issue" at all, exept to relay that it was definately a virus, not caused by chemicals or pesticides, at all.
Every other exhibit seemed to be promoting commercial products as well, made me wonder a little bit.
That's what Bromenshenk switched to saying AFTER he received a "significant" grant from Bayer. I guess even scientists can be corrupted... :( destroys my ideals about science!

hardland

Each presenter had at least a doctorate, many proffesors, and I could not believe the "product placement"
You know what they say, power corrupts.... Just look at Washington...

grondeau

Please... All gardeners - Don't use these pesticides! The bees are having enough problems without the insult of systemic insecticides with very long life times. The bees are just the latest canary in the coal mine. This year we will see even more pressure on the remaining commercial bees. There will be no more imported bees from Australia this year for the almond growers. This is good, but it means fewer bees and fewer replacements for CCD deaths.

Gardeners - please think about the bees and provide buffers of native plants and flowering weeds for all variety of critters.

Save seed as well. This means flowers and flowering plants that attract pollinators of all types that adds to the diversity of our dwindling ecosystem.

Long live the weeds! Keep bees!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”