nat_attack
Newly Registered

How to care for a Mystery Bonsai Gift?

my boyfriend bought me a bonsai tree for valentines day and have had a few tips off my dad, but he said not to trim it until spring?my uncle inherited all my grandads bonsais so I guess this info has come from him!but I wasnt sure if this was correct? also wondering if u need special tools to trim the branches? I have been watering it every day and have it on the windowsill in the bedroom,seems to be growing well and looking healthy but really don't have the first idea what sort of bonsai it is or how to care for it properly so would really value any advice anyone can give me. thanks nat :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Nat,

Watering on a schedule is a mistake. You should let the soil dry out a bit in between thorough waterings, a little bit each day is the wrong approach.

The first order of business is to identify the plant. Post pictures if you are able. Go to google and check the following candidates. Juniper, Ficus, Serissa, Fukien Tea, Chinese Elm. Proper care depends upon a proper identification.

You are lucky in that you have a family member with experience, I would avail myself of your uncles experience. Ask him about watering techniques, soil, fertilizing, etc.

Norm

nat_attack
Newly Registered

hey thanks 4 that!unfortunately I don't have any contact with my uncle only through talking to my dad,which isnt on a regular basis. I will post pic up hopeully tomorrow. also the pot the bonsai came in has 2 rocks on either side of the tree and they are really loose, I was considering adding extra soil but was wondering what would be reccomended?cheers :) nat

ynot
Greener Thumb

Good advice Gnome,
Nat, Make a phone call, Send an e-mail....Make contact.
Learning bonsai in the flesh from someone with experience will take years off of your learning curve. Simply put: It far and away beats online learning.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”