Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

almost gone for good

I got a new laptop. I had to try 75 names email addresses and passwords to get back in to the HG.

It took me 17 hours to transfer Itunes but I lost my play lists.

It took 23 hours to get back into my 8 newspapers and about other sights I haunt.

I really hate technology and it hates me.

But

I'm baaaaaaack. 8)

webmaster
Site Admin

You can always email me if you have a problem with HG. :lol:

Welcome back!

applestar
Mod

You could always order an ACME Internet Wizard Kit. Just try not to blow yourself up plugging it in.... :> :kidding:

Glad to see you're back, just in time for the busy seed starting season. :wink:

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I asked the sweet little clerk at BB how old she was. She said 21. I told her I wanted someone under 20. She told me she just turned 21 so I said okay, you can stay.

I'm 6 feet 210 and look like a Klingon, all gnarly, furry and white haired.. She said I was cute. I bought the warranty plan.

lily51
Greener Thumb

"you could always order an ACME Internet Wizard Kit..."

Too funny ! :lol:

Halfway
Green Thumb

Google gmail accounts have massive space.

E-mail yourself playlists, internet favorites (bookmarks), photos, vids etc and then creat a "file" in your account to stash them away. Free storage.

I am always falling back on those files for something lost or deleted.

:idea:

manofthetrees

my friend ,hes a dj and has over 10'000 songs, keeps his stuff on external hard drives ... new computer, just plug the old hardrive in and go

applestar
Mod

lily51 wrote:"you could always order an ACME Internet Wizard Kit..."

Too funny ! :lol:
Thanks! Glad to know my little joke was appreciated -- I thought I was hearing crickets.... :wink:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I run 4 hard drives in my computer one is just for “Time Machineâ€

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

How do you burn Blu Ray or any DVD for that matter?

I don't understand how to email an Itunes play list and make it work. I still have my play lists on the other computer because I couldn't figure out how to move them. With "file sharing", Itunes moved all of the songs, movies and TV recordings magically but it didn't move my play lists.

I envy people who understand these contraptions. 4 hard drives Tom? I'm pretty much lost with one. Anything major that I do like buying a new computer every ten years is a days long nightmare.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Charlie, I use an online backup service named "Carbonite". It costs a little less than five bucks per month. I have all my photos, music, passwords, email, documents, software keys, address's, address books, and financial data backed up on it. I can access all of my data from any laptop, computer, or smart phone on the internet with my single secure password. Flash drives, external hard drives, and such are no longer needed. Anytime I have a new document, photo, email, or anything else on my computer, it is automatically
backed up to carbonite. Works for me!

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Thanks! Glad to know my little joke was appreciated -- I thought I was hearing crickets....
Shhh, I thought I heard Apple, maybe not. :P :lol:

Carbonite,

The Tech Guy on Sunday night radio pushes Carbonite. $5.00 a month sounds pretty good. Ted gives it a thumbs up, anyone else using it :?:

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

There was a Star Trek episode where Kirk bluffed his way out of trouble using the carbonite maneuver. He told the little peantut butter and jelly eating boy from Andy Griffith that he would blow up their ships using carbonite. I think the kid was Ron Howard's ne'r do well brother.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Not sure about that. Han Solo was frozen in carbonite.
I think the kid was Ron Howard's ne'r do well brother.
No, I think that was Opie Cunningham. :lol:

Boy is this off topic :oops: :P

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Aaaawww cuz,

I was trying to have a serious moment which I rarely have and you distracted me with humor. :roll:

cuz Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

DD check out who played Balock and the episode name.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0708458/

Cousin Ted, my wife doesn't think I'm funny. I love you man.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I see said the blind man....

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I see said the blind carpenter as he picked up his hammer and saw.

Why is there brail on drive up tellers?

Where I live there is no cable only DSL and it is not that fast so backing up via the net is not an option.
Charlie I have one 750GB drive as my main drive, a 1TB drive for storing media and sound banks. One 1TB drive to record music and video and the 4th one is a back up, I could use more back up drives as 1TB is not that much and the oldest files are deleted when it gets full so it can keep newer files.
You can get a 1TB hard drive for not to much so having a system that backs things up is a snap. Mac has something called “Time Machineâ€

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

One dark night, in broad daylight
two dead boys got up to fight
back to back they faced each other
drew out swords and shot each other
a deaf policeman heard the noise
he came and shot the two dead boys
if you don't believe my story's true
ask the blind man
he saw it too.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

Tom, I can't burn movies from Itunes. I can't even watch them. I bought "It's a Wonderful Life" and couldn't play it anywhere but on my IPOD. I also can't copy a DVD or Blu Ray from disc to my computer.

Everything is write protected. I did make a back up disc [3] with the new laptop. I have no idea how to hook up a second hard drive and make it talk to the laptops.

We have Netflix now and I'm pretty sure I wont be buying many more movies. We dropped premium Direct TV channels thanks to Netflix.

Today, my wife is moving files from our 10 year old Dell PC to our 1 year old Dell laptop using a memory stick. Is there a faster, more efficient way to do that?

tomf
Super Green Thumb

If the memory stick is large it will be slow but get the job done. Do you have a home network going over it would be the fastest way. You could move files via fire wire also. You need a blue ray player to watch blue rays, some computers have them but most do not. As for DVDs your newer computer should have one so the will play on it. You are right DVDs are protected and one need ripper software to copy them. Your iTunes movie should play on your computer but you can't copy it to disk without special software.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

T he new laptop has Blu Ray player. Is ripper software legal? Which program should I look at. I do have some favorite movies that we'd like wo watch again but copying movies is over my head.

I can and gave burned CDs into Itunes but no joy with movies.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

There have been court rulings that say you can copy a disk you own for your own use or as a back up. Copying and disturbing for profit is illegal. You can buy ripper software legally.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

when you get passwords/log in email confirmations, save those to a separate folder called "log ins" in case you use someone elses computer.

Or do what my techie husband does and install "Last Pass" it will remember all your log ins and passwords and even works with secure sites. It also has auto fill to fill out standard address forms. It is the last password you have to remember, get it?! DH and I share an account so we'll never be locked out of anything.

Congrats on the new computer! I got a new net book for christmas (using it right now) and haven't truly "broken it in" yet because I want to upgrade the operating system first. But that's another story.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hey Carolyn,

I just got a new netbook also. I love it. It came with win7. What OS do you want to upgrade to?

I don't like to leave anything like a file or folder on my hard drive with pass words or financial information like bank account numbers. If for some reason, my computer was lost or stolen, some other person would have access to that information. By storing everything off site protected by a strong password, it just feels safer for me. I won't even let the geek squad or anyone else touch my computer until I have thoroughly cleaned it. If you don't understand how windows stores data and cross references it, you have no idea how many places data is stored. I store all critical data and information off site and run a cleaner program every time my laptop boots.

Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I have no idea what you two just said.

Chaesman

I just upgraded to win7 ultimate 64 bit and I replaced my g router with an N router that has dual usb ports so it functions as a file server and a print server for the network. I do backups regularly (manually ) of what I feel is important. Also on another not windows7 has a back up option that lets you create system restore disks. So once your pc is set up how you want it. Just run the back up wizard it will burn the info to a dvd set. Then in case of catstrofy you just boot the first restore disk and it will restore your pc to the condition it was in at the time the backup was created. I use this because it is much easier than installing everything individually.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Chaesman,

I just bought this little netbook. Because it is so small, it didn't come with a cd or dvd drive. I had to buy an external drive just to install my software from disc. I have a wireless router/modem which is both my access point for the internet and our home network. We have five computers including three laptops, four external hard drives, three smartphones, and a Kindle on the network. All have access to the networked printer. It gets a little confusing sometimes which is one of the reasons I decided to backup all critical data to the internet. It gives me a single point with one password to access my data from anywhere on any device that can access the internet.

Ted

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

tedln wrote:Hey Carolyn,

I just got a new netbook also. I love it. It came with win7. What OS do you want to upgrade to?
Ted
It came with windows xp! It's so ancient--I hate it! I'd love to get it up to vista or 7. DH says vista isn't available for net books, though and an upgrade to 7 will be $100, which is $50 more than the netbook cost, so I'm still thinking about it. Money is tight right now.

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/wyliereading.jpg[/img][/img]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Carolyn, Windows XP does a great job. If Windows Vista hadn't come preloaded on my last laptop, I would have chose to stay with XP. Service pack Two pretty much corrected all the initial problems XP had. It is now a good operating system. Windows Vista and Windows 7 have some quirks I don't like. I think I just like the minimalist approach to operating systems. I wish google would come out with the droid system for laptops.

Ted

Chaesman

if you do decide to upgrade the os stay away from vista

7 is much faster and more stable just make sure you got at least 1 gig of ram (2 preferably) I personally run 4 gigs of ram.

however with that being said I would recommend you run the upgrade advisor to be sure all will work well

link to downlad the advisor from microsoft is at the bottom of this page
https://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/downloads/upgrade-advisor

And yes I have an external hard drive and an external dvd drive just for those times when some one wants me to work on thier netbooks

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Cuz,

Are you trying to tell us you feel a little challenged in some technical areas?

Cuz Ted

Chaesman

don't know if that was directed at me or not but no I am not challanged at tech.. I am a tech junkie lol But I will try to help out those who need it with simple solutions when possible

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/trap.jpg[/img][/img]

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”