Saphire
Newly Registered

Chinese Saphire Dragon is looking off. (pics)

Hello there, I have this
wonderful and beautiful saphire dragon.
Probably about 6 weeks ago it started looking
as you could say "OFF". I put anti-rot and seasol
on it. Now this has happened to another tree of the same
breed but in a totally different spot. Is there anything I can
do because this is a lovely tree and it would be a shame to
loose it:( Some of the leaves have gone brown, there are also big
cracks in the bottom of the trunk as seen in the photos below!

https://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/bella_ya_94/010.jpg

https://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww101/bella_ya_94/008.jpg

applestar
Mod

I didn't know Paulownia was also called Chinese Sapphire Dragon tree! What a LOVELY name. :D

I always thought they were non-native invasive, but [url=https://www.dragontrees.com/dragonhi.html]this website[/url] refutes that so I might now consider planting one. Will have to see ... (Oh wait, cursory search shows they're only hardy to Zone 7 at coldest. Sapphire Dragon species only to Zone 10! Some other species hardy to Zone 5 :? Looks like I'll be researching this some more... :?)

Prominently noted on the website:
Note: - Do not use any form of insecticide or weed-killer anywhere near your tree. All Paulownia trees are highly sensitive to poisons and will die or be severely damaged if exposed to them. (See detailed planting instructions for more information.
I don't know what caused them, but those trunk damages look really bad. :( I hope someone can give you a positive prognosis....

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I know little about the plant but from what you say and what I can see I beleive the tree is drying out. Lack of water. I would suggest watering at least twice a week for 15 minutes with the faucet set on medium and if you don't already have one build a saucer around the plant.

microcollie
Green Thumb

I agree with bullthistle. Paulonias, since they are such fast growers, they require lots of water. They have long tap roots, so must be watered very deeply. Has it been dry where you are?
An unfortunate thing about them (and other very fast-growing trees) is that their lifespans are short. All that vigor comes at a price. How old is your tree? On the upside, they grow so rapidly that when they need to be replaced, it's only a matter of a couple years until you have a big tree again.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

if all else fails, you can cut it down to near the ground (while dormant), and it'll come back (with giant leaves) when it comes out of dormancy. some folks cut them like that regularly, to keep them like that for landscape purposes.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”