Susan W
Greener Thumb

Food safety bill

I certainly do not want to get political here, and remove if you need to.

BUT, I am sure we are all watching the Food Safety bill that passed the senate. From what I understand small timers (farmers market, roadside stand) are exempt. Of course meat (and what I have seen is frozen pork, beef, chicken etc) is covered elsewhere for health/safety.

It is evident each state is different in regs concerning farmers markets and other small venues.

webmaster
Site Admin

[url=https://www.rollcall.com/news/-201012-1.html]The food safety bill appears to be in limbo now[/url]. There was a procedural error made that prevents it from becoming law. There may not be enough time to fix it.

As far as laws are concerned, anytime a group needs to come to an agreement it seems unavoidable the final result will contain elements that people from all sides of the debate will dislike. It's the nature of the process. But it's preferable to anarchy or authoritarian rule.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

What I heard on NPR today, why farmers markets are exempt, is because of the small market. If there is an issue, only a few people, most likely, would get sick. All meats here, have to go through USDA processing.

Eric

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I think we should make congress be our food taster/testers. I see all kinds of upsides to this idea.
Last edited by Charlie MV on Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webmaster
Site Admin

LOL. You're on to something there. :lol:

OpenSource

The bill is in limbo how about that!
Guess folk found who really supported and lobbied for this bill. :wink:

Chaesman

just a little news the bill has been added or should I say burried in a new bill here is the link it is mentioned on the very last line of the article
https://www.rollcall.com/news/-201278-1.html

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yes wait until the public think it is dead and pass it buried in something else. Your government at work... :evil:

This will not mean the immediate demise of the small farmer, but a death by degrees; buried under and increasing pile of paper and record keeping. I know and work with many of these folks and it's beyond many of them who are growers, animal husbandry experts, drivers, laborers, and more, and all that BEFORE breakfast, to add accountant and secretary to the heap. Three years of daily sales records when your model has been a honor system cash box for years and years, because you don't have time to run a register? Right.

This is a direct attack on small farms who don't have the wherewithal of the big guys, masquerading as a safety issue. Small farms that don't ship more than 250 miles and less than 500K in sales are exempted from the worst of the record keeping but the sales records are still hours out of an already plenty full day.

This is not right; it is the start of the corporatization and monopolization of all food. Call the congressmen...

HG

OpenSource

What should be most alarming other than Corporatist Corruption is the bill came from Senate that induces taxes. Under the rules of Constitution. Senate can not induce or call for taxes. It is the duty of Congress to induce or call for taxes.

I hear rambling from people that say the bill is not perfect it should be past to protect small farms etc. Yes there is Amendments in to protect small farmers etc., But amendments can be dropped and the Secretary doesn't have to comply with the Amendments. The Secretary will have unyielding power in this bill.

Secondly, Monsanto supports this bill as do the Big Ag and food company's.

FDA doesn't work for we the people, it works for them the corrupt corporatist, those that kick out their competition with laws made by Government.(That is not Capitalism or a free market when you use Government force to squelch your competition) Well lets face it, Government it self is corrupt by laying in bed with these corrupt corporations.

There is tons of Politicians, Presidents,Senators, Congressmen/women to blame for this mess. I won't go through the list on who is responsible, It may upset the pundits on the left and the right.
:lol:

This folks is Government and Corrupt Corporatist Anarchy at it's best.

OpenSource

webmaster wrote: But it's preferable to anarchy or authoritarian rule.
:shock:

Authoritarian Rule , we already have that as it is. Anarchy , well I do practice and support non-compliance.
:P

OpenSource

The Helpful Gardener wrote: This is not right; it is the start of the corporatization and monopolization of all food. Call the congressmen...
HG
Uh, It's already here! This bill solidifies it, strengthens the choke hold on lobbying and setting rules/regulations etc.

Yes it is not right, I agree with you.

Seriously The FDA doesn't do it's job as it is. This bill isn't going to make the FDA any better or provide security in food safety. Its a paper work bill that induces taxed on all of us. Some folk believe they need a pay raise because they do nothing.
:roll:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”