Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Wow, Tom! Are all those guitars yours? I have an old flattop acoustic that my husband gave me for my 23rd birthday. Prior to that, I had an inexpensive f-hole acoustic.

I took the strings off my guitar years ago, though ... tucked it in its case and stashed it way in the back of my closet. I haven't played for a long, long time, probably 30 or more years. I doubt I could even remember any chords, anymore. I used to banjo-pick the thing. Always wanted a banjo, in fact, but never could afford one. :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes those are what I have for now, I still want a Arch top like BB Kings or simular.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Yeah! The f-hole I had was an arch-top. I liked it, but I like the flattop I have now, too. Maybe I should think about dragging it out of the closet and doing a little pickin' and strummin' again. :lol:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Is the acoustic guitar on the right a 68 Martin with the gold beading?

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

No it is a Dean it is an ok guitar. I wish it was a 68 Martin.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Chalrie, love your humor. :)
Thanks for the interesting read on this thread. I wouldn't even know where to jump in. :? I do agree with the statment of "why bet using the Earth as chips" when it comes to global warming. 8)

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

lily51 wrote:Chalrie, love your humor. :)
Thanks for the interesting read on this thread. I wouldn't even know where to jump in. :? I do agree with the statment of "why bet using the Earth as chips" when it comes to global warming. 8)

Lily, you are a person of amazing discernment and intelligence.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

CHERSKY, Russia and The Russian scientist shuffles across the frozen lake, scuffing aside ankle-deep snow until he finds a cluster of bubbles trapped under the ice. With a cigarette lighter in one hand and a knife in the other, he lances the ice like a blister. Methane whooshes out and bursts into a thin blue flame.
Gas locked inside Siberia's frozen soil and under its lakes has been seeping out since the end of the last ice age 10,000 years ago. But in the past few decades, as the Earth has warmed, the icy ground has begun thawing more rapidly, accelerating the release of methane — a greenhouse gas 23 times more powerful than carbon dioxide — at a perilous rate.

[url]https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101122/ap_on_re_eu/eu_climate_siberian_meltdown[/url]

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yep, almost all swamps and marshes have released methane (swamp gas) to the atmosphere from bacterial decomposition of organics forever. I read somewhere that cattle are a major contributor of methane. It ain't good, but can we stop it?

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I read somewhere that cattle are a major contributor of methane.
Just wanted to clarify, this is from belching, not the other end. :)

Some say as much as a 1/3.

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Thanks Eric,

I was assuming the other end. Clarification always helps. How's your brothers problem in the greenhouse now. Don't feed him any beans. I have no idea what human emitted methane does to the greenhouse plants, but I am sure it makes the other gardeners uncomfortable.:D

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yes swamps do let off gas Ted but we are talking about many thousands of square miles here. That is a S load of gas.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

I wasn't trying to downplay the importance of the gas being released beneath the ice on the frozen lakes. I was just pointing out the fact that we already have a lot of other natural methane sources. Methane hydride which is frozen methane or methane ice in the ocean is another major source of atmospheric methane. I guess added to the co2 in the atmosphere, we have a problem. What do you think would remedy it?

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

That is a good question Ted, not adding to the problem is one thing. Of course that is easier said than done. Plant more trees, do not cut more rain forests down. Do not wory about it as nature will take care of it and us. I do not always know what is making me sick or what to do to get better but I do know when I am sick and I know good health habits help keep me from getting sick.

Oh and keep them cows from belching.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Yep, I planted two trees last week. Then I read something in "Nature" or in "Science" that said the earths biomass doesn't remove or store nearly as much carbon from the atmosphere as previously thought. I'll just leave the trees planted though in hopes they will be beautiful.

I also read yesterday that Al Gore stated in a European interview that his support of growing corn to produce ethanol as vice president, was only to pander to his Tennessee constituency and the Iowa voters since he would soon be running for President. He said the United States should discontinue the seven billion dollar per year subsidy for ethanol production. He cast the deciding vote in the Senate as Vice President to create the subsidy.

I can help with the cow thing though. I will eat part of one this evening. That dude won't be making anymore methane. :D

Ted
Last edited by tedln on Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Toss some cow on the BBQ and we will be over Ted. :wink:

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”