screeme
Newly Registered

Please help me identify this squash

My wife's parents bought us a "pumpkin" plant for our garden.. However, what we are getting are clearly not pumpkins. Some sort of strange squashish beast I can't identify. However, I'm sure somebody here will know what it is.

[img]https://www.geocities.com/screeme18/squash.jpg[/img]

I cut one open and there are seeds in the bulb at the end, so this is definitely the fruit of it. It did smell a little pumpkin-ey. I just have no idea what it is.[/img]

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If the seeds are at the end I would surmise that it is a butternut squash. This is known as the cadillac of squashes and is my personal favourite.

The shape of the squash also leads me to believe that it is a butternut.

screeme
Newly Registered

It doesn't really have the same color as a butternut though.. although I admit I'm a garden novice.. so I don't know if that will change as it gets a little more mature.

All of the squash grow in that C shaped pattern though.. and there were definitely seeds in that fatty bulb part on the end. So you may be right.

daylily
Newly Registered

Are all the squash curved like this one?

It resembles a loofah gourd except for the curve. When you cut it open what was the inside flesh like?

screeme
Newly Registered

Yes.. they all grow in that same shape.

The inside was fleshy I guess.. It was solid and, like I said, a somewhat pumpkiney smell.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

This is perplexing... daylily may be onto something here. I guess you'll have to wait until they are ripe to see what colour they will be to be more sure.

How did you come about the seed?

screeme
Newly Registered

My wifes dad bought it for us as a plant. So it wasn't seed we planted, but what we thought was a little pumpkin plant.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well, I'd wait until it is ripe before doing anything more to try to figure out what it is.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”