garden5
Super Green Thumb

Had the last of the onions, peppers, and beans. The frost hit them (beans and peppers, not onions), but I think they are still good if you eat them that day. They tasted good, anyway.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made Garden Chili

1 pints of garden beefsteak tomatoes
2 large onion chopped
8 cloves of garlic chopped
2 heaping tablespoons mild chili powder
1 heaping tablespoon ground Cumin
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 lbs ground round
Cook until meat is done about 15 minutes then add
2 pints of garden beefsteak tomatoes
2 cans of dark red kidney beans
Bring to a boil, add some garden oregano and cilantro, simmer a few minutes, serve.

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/chili-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e358/gary350/chili-2.jpg[/img]

bwhite829

I"ve got fresh from the garden squash(not sure what kind....my grandfather calls it a pumpkin, which I know pumpkin is a squash, but it looks like a larger, darker version of a butternut but when I cut it open it looked like the inside of a pumpkin?) 2 vidalia onions(store bought :(), a bag full of kale and some cabbage, with 2 lbs of turkey, slowly simmering together for a delightful smelling stew. I cooked ALOT of turnips and mustards from my neighbor's garden last week, and still had quite a bit left so it put it up to put in my next stew. I'll have to learn how to blanche some stuff for the freezer so I can have it for stir fries whenver I want it :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

The last of my fresh corn on the cob, I just picked it.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The last onion. I'm really happy with how well my onions did this year.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hot sauce from my peppers (Just got some gnarly new peppers for seed from my buddy Jeremy; SCARY HOT! :twisted: )

Can't wait for next years sauce... :lol:

HG

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I made a salad with the last of the garden greens. Lettuce, chard, turnip, onion, mustard, dill, and kale.
Last edited by jal_ut on Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

soil
Greener Thumb

I was just walking around eating a few things raw off the plant. there was some arugula, lettuce,purple bok choy, chives, kumquat, apple, bell pepper, napa cabbage, and a few other things that slip my mind.

bwhite829

I had some kale, cabbag,e and mustards today. Tomorrow I'm going to cook the turnips and the rest of the kale that I harvested today along with an onion, mushrooms, and a couple ham hocks :)

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I did chili too

Best ingredient-- 1/2 cup powdered ancho and guajillo chiles (toasted)
also from garden
garlic
onions
tomatoes (2009 frozen sauce)

I also dug up some sunchokes (after dark trip to the garden befor3 dinner) and have a few straggler tomatoes still sitting on the counter.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

For dinner last night, I made stuffed winter squash. We've had that before just with bread stuffing mix and sausage. This time, I used a vegetarian version from here: [url=https://www.westerngardeners.com/stuffed-pumpkin-perfect-for-thanksgiving.html]WesternGardeners.com[/url]

I used Uncle Ben's wild rice mix.

Honestly, I think that it would be a little better if I'd used some of that homemade chili mentioned above . . . :) . . . instead of the red kidney beans. I was also searching around for a can of black-eyed peas to substitute but didn't find them.

Anyway, the beans weren't from my garden but the winter squash and carrots were and I even found some scallions out there to mince up and put in.

Tonight . . . potatoes with onions and carrots in a curry sauce!

Steve :)

bwhite829

I had more greens. today I harvested more mustard kale early collard turnip greens and my first harvest of spinach. My mother took the spinach, I cooked the collards, turnips, and some of the mustards w/ onion and bacon, and I'm saving the rest of the mustards and the kale for tomorrow.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

My first ever home made pumpkin pie using my only lumina white pumpkin. I'm conflicted because it was raised as a pet.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I'm conflicted because it was raised as a pet.
Yes, but what a good life it had. Organic, grass fed pumpkins. Not from one of those Concentrated Vegetable Feeding Operations. CVFO
:shock: :P

Thanksgiving meal

Roast duck, mashed potatoes, salad, stuffing, delicata squash, and store bought rolls. Dessert was Medlar cake with fresh whipped cream.

Yum yum yummy!

It was about 90% home grown.

Eric

ACW

I am envious of those with big gardens , mine is tiny even with the balcony ,and my produce all gets eaten on the day of harvest ,with the odd small excess shared with neighbourhood friends .
one day will have a bigger garden and have some stores of the summers bounty .
Just had the first big frost and snow is sweeping down the country toward London ,none yet ,but its coming and very early for England.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I was out putting flower beds away for the winter... weeding, cutting off dead stuff, mulching with leaves. Pulled up the jerusalem artichokes (a variety of sunflower) and harvested 2.5 pounds of the tubers from a little 3' x 2' patch, while still leaving some in the ground for next year.

Cooked up 1 pound of them as mashed jerusalem artichokes and potatoes. It was yummy! I will post the recipe in the recipes section.

So cool! I have had the JA's in my garden for years and never got it together to actually eat the tubers before, just not quite knowing what to do with them.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Slice them and dip in ranch dressing. Just like carrots and celery, etc.

Dice and add to soup.

Grate some into your tossed salad.

Roast them with your other root vegetables.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

finished off the jerusalem artichokes with a big pot of cream of JA soup.....

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Now that's what I'm taking about. !! :D Soup, it's good for you.

Eric

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Still eating tomatoes from my frozen garden with onions and lettuce salads. I also have a few cucumbers I rescued from the freeze.

I have a lot of really nice turnips I planted in late fall. I'm trying to think of a good way to cook them for everyone in my family to eat. The thing about turnips is they are an acquired taste. I love them, but many in my family don't. I'm thinking about slicing them and sauteing them in bacon renderings. Maybe prepare a light Bechamel sauce with cheese. Add the bacon crumbles and bake the dish. I'm just looking for a way to prepare them that everyone will enjoy. I debating using or not using some of the turnip greens in the dish.

Ted

applestar
Mod

I like turnips in stews and think they go well with pork (evidently you do too since you're thinking bacon :wink:) or lamb. Fish stews too. I've had them in Japanese style Indian curry as well. In "western" (Osaka and south) parts of Japan, they make sweet/sour pickles out of thinly sliced turnips, but it's a regional specialty in a specific prefecture -- that I can't remember at the moment -- where they grow salad plate sized turnips in volcanic soil.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I'm really surprised at how large my turnips got this year. I have some of those salad plate sized ones. They may be to woody to eat, but maybe not. Most years, they only get to the size of tennis balls. I planted them as a cover crop in my squash beds when my fall squash was about 1/2 grown. They stayed small while they were competing with the squash. When I pulled the squash plants, the turnips took off and grew like crazy. I planted another bed of them last week, most of them germinated and we had a freeze a couple of days after they germinated. The freeze didn't hurt the seedlings, so I will have another crop of turnips later in the winter. The turnip greens are as tall as my knees, but I don't know how good they will be to eat. I once read that turnip greens for eating require a different seed than the purple top seed I planted. I also planted some collard greens to harvest with the turnip greens. In the south, lots of people eat turnip greens, but they usually mix them with collard greens to cook in order to mellow the strong taste of the turnip greens.

In England, people eat a lot of parsnip by roasting them with lamb, beef, or pork roasts. They use them similar to the manner we use potatoes in roasted vegetable dishes. I'm wondering how well turnips would work in the same manner.

Ted

applestar
Mod

Ooh! I'm getting hungry! :D

If you have a deli meat slicer, you might be able to slice up your giant turnips into thin slices 8) The slices are carefully stacked up back into the shape of the turnip and (I think) tied together with a twine before being pickled... or else put in tubs sized to hold one turnip each. I think those turnip pickles taste similar to the Chinese vegetable medley pickles that some restaurants serve with the meals. You can also add heat by including one or two (or more) whole hot peppers.

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

I picked 2 beefmaster tomatoes and a crapload of grape tomatoes. I also picked around 5 servings of red lettuce and 2 orange bell peppers. I would have had cucumbers but vine borers destroyed them, as well as my squash.

applestar
Mod

Enough micro-greens, chives, and celery for salad! :D ...and ripe volunteer cherry, Sugar Plum grape, Yellow Bell, and Japanese Black Trifele tomatoes out of the cardboard box. With shredded cooked chicken and store bought cukes, grapes, and pecans and home made raspberry kefir, lemon juice and olive oil dressing to complete the yummy-ness. :wink:

applestar
Mod

I got peckish and had some left over braised chicken embellished with plain yogurt. Generously pinched the growing tips of Purple Basil (cinnamon/anise flavor) in my Winter Window Garden and scattered them finely chopped on top. :D
(I was bored with rosemary tips in everything -- I just had them with butter and sour cream on baked potato the other day :wink:)

Halfway
Green Thumb

mmmmmm mmmmm mmmmm. A batch of canned tomatoes/salsa/chili base in a large pot of hot chili on a cold winter's day!

mmmm mmmm mmmmm. :)

Farmer Bob

Hi Folks,

It's summer here in South Africa and I harvested some immature loofah and made a wonderful stir fry just with garlic, shrimp and shitake mushrooms Delicious.! Also had some stirfried water spinach . made a quick stirfried meatless stew with purslane ( an edible weed ), chopped onion, chopped tomato and beaten egg. Yummy.! All nice and healthy.!

Waiting for my papaya to ripen so that we can have some fresh desert some day.!

All the best for 2011

Bob

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hi Bob,

Good to see your still kicking and gardening. I thought you were considering moving to the Republic of Congo or Ruwanda or some other country to pursue some of your Christian activities. I wish you and your family the best and the happiest new year. Happy gardening!

Ted

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

OMG for the first time in forever I can reply to this!!! After its sat dormant for a while...
Over the weekend I picked my first spinach after almost losing most of it to snails and slugs.
What I did manage to get though was sweet and so yummy!! I had a full gallon size bag after going through it and weeding out all the snail ridden leaves. Which made just enough for us to eat with dinner last night. (and yes I washed every single leaf by hand to ensure it was clean)
I am hoping that now that I have cut it back some and rid the garden of most the snails it will grow back nice and full and be just a sweet and yummy!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

cherishedtiger wrote:OMG for the first time in forever I can reply to this!!! After its sat dormant for a while...
Over the weekend I picked my first spinach after almost losing most of it to snails and slugs.
What I did manage to get though was sweet and so yummy!! I had a full gallon size bag after going through it and weeding out all the snail ridden leaves. Which made just enough for us to eat with dinner last night. (and yes I washed every single leaf by hand to ensure it was clean)
I am hoping that now that I have cut it back some and rid the garden of most the snails it will grow back nice and full and be just a sweet and yummy!
Your making me hungry. Escargot with garlic and spinach. Don't let the snails go to waste.

Ted

TWC015

I had some Brussels Sprouts with dinner. The snow finally melted so I could get to the sprouts easily. The Brussels Sprouts plants are about the only plants left growing besides garlic and onions, which are not ready.

Farmer Bob

:D Hey Guys.! If u're into escargots, check out ' Garden snail as escargots-recipes/Sunset/Find articles at BNET ' on Google.

findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1216/is_n5/ai_6547821/

It tells u how to purge garden snails as escargots.

It's summer in full swing in Cape Town and my tomatoes are doing wonderfully well. My Rosa cocktail tomatoes, sweet basil and wild rocket have been major components to our salad bowls and hoorah, we finally had the papaya for desert. ( wasn't very sweet as we had hoped).

We've had some delicious stir fried Loofah and cannot wait for this years crop of bitter gourd which have just started fruiting.

Tried some stir fried chayote tendrils, but found them a bit stringy.!

I'll probably have some some watercress in soup and do a stir fry using water spinach tonight.!

And be brave. Try the escargots instead of squashing them.!
:D

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hey Bob,

Check out this thread and tell us how your family cooked rice when you were a youngster.

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177681#177681

Ted

Farmer Bob

Hi Ted,
I've posted a reply to u privately, but have since sent it to the non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo forum.
Enjoy.!
Regds,
Bob

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Haven't posted here in forever, because my garden has been under snow almost continuously for 6 weeks now (and more coming).

I have a little bit of frozen stuff, including lots of frozen pesto, left from the season. The only thing fresh from my garden (if you include indoors as part of my garden :) ) is herbs. My Aerogarden has oregano, parsley, and basil that are big enough to snip from, and my potted rosemary is doing well enough now that I felt ok snipping from it too.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

I finally got out there and cut back all my chives, I have just left them going and they have been growing like weeds! I cut them all back, and chopped them up and dried them. Managed to get an entire bottle of dried chives.
Now to wait for them to grow back again!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Hi Bob,

I read your comments and plan on trying the "old way" you described.

How did you like that stir fried Luffa? I could never find a way to cook it that didn't cause it to simply melt in the pan. I never tried stir fried. I may have to grow Luffa again if I can find something tall enough for it to grow up.

Thanks

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

I'm in full swing here, too. Yesterday I had a baked rice casserole filled with fresh zucchini, peas, bush beans, and radishes (all from the garden), and a nice big green salad.

I also put up 27 jars of kimchee using red and napa cabbages from the garden - I'm wondering if the smell is ever going to come out of my hands, but it's so worth it.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

these days it's mostly just hot sauce and sour cultured sunchokes.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”