Anonymous

Worm Farm Troubles

I have had a worm farm for roughly two years but I'm sure I'm not managing it correctly..the compost is very compacted and the worms are abundant but not eating as much as I have read about..any ideas???

jstr12

How often are you emttying the compost? You might be overloading it. How wet is it in there? Too mwet will make the compost compact when you drop scraps in.

jstr :D

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You should be turning the compost regularly as well to keep it aerated if the worms can't do it on their own. Use a pitch fork rather than a shovel as a shovel as a shovel will slice and dice the worms.

CAJUN
Newly Registered

you should be turning your bedding on a weekly basis and applying lime also 1-2 times a month.feed should be of a protien source.purina worm chow is great feed.compaction is also caused from too wett sometimes also....I think starting a routine of turning your bedding and adding fresh bedding every 60-90 days is a good regiment for you...only feed what they will eat in a 24 hour period or risk mold......soil ph is important and must be limed as needed...minimum of 1-2 times a month lightly cast some crushed limestone on your beds then water lightly.allow worms to go dwn before you apply lime or feed ,always,...

cajun

Anonymous

WOW!! Thanks all of you...
I have decided to transfer the whole thing to an old cast iron bath with an enamel inside, I thought of breaking up the existing compost, mixing in old egg cartons & shredded paper with a dry leaf mulsh.
Then giving a sprinkle of lime ( I havent done this for a while so I think they need it :lol: ) that should dry things out a bit, we have had torrential rains as we are in the grip of winter, but I will cover the whole bath better.
Thank you I will keep you posted on how things progress. I have to think of a way to drain the precious worm tea..hosepine attached to a funnel, the funnel would sit inside the plug hole..what do you think??? Suzi.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Eggshells work better than lime because they contain NP and K and also are a slower release of calcium. And they are basically free. I get mine from local cofee shops and cafeterias.

Anonymous

thank you again, I use egg shells in my feed mix. all those beautiful free range eggs I am lucky to get from my beautiful chickens...Suzi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

You are most welcome.

Return to “Composting Forum”