sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

I want a pecan tree.

OK, so I want it all. I want everything in my little yard. LOL! I'm addicted I tell ya. I looked up that I can get a northern james pecan tree! now I want one!

but, IDK if I have the space. what I need is a bulldozer.

anyone grow pecans? are the requirements similar to apples/pears/plums etc?

playininthedirt
Newly Registered

still kind of feeling my way around in postin replies so bear with me..but anyway..I got a pecan tree quite by accident..I had a large load of mulch in the yard last summer and happen to look out one day and saw a baby tree growing on top..and what do ya know..a baby pecan tree..sprouting right out of the shell..wow..don't really know what kind it is and don't really care too much just glad to have it..it's now getting pretty tall and strong..wish u well on your pecan tree..=-))

applestar
Mod

Heh. I want a pecan tree -- heck I want TWO... but not sure if I have the space either. I would have to go for the northern Illinois/Michigan pecan varieties so they would bear nuts. Also, my understanding is that pecan likes well-drained soil, and in my area, it's all clay.

There is a large Shagbark hickory tree (and several smaller ones) out back behind my property. (It turns out that I probably live in the area's natural native Hickory-Red Oak plant communities. They are tolerant of heavy clay soil.) Of course the squirrels are all over them, forget where they buried them, and I always have several hickory seedlings sprouting in my garden.

After learning that shagbark hicory is good eating, I finally managed to nab a few good nuts ahead of the squirrels and though they have less meat than any pecan I've ever seen, they are indeed quite tasty -- it helps that the nut is very fresh, I'm sure. So, I've picked a spot and am allowing one of the volunteers to grow.

Since the soil condition is iffy for Pecans, I may decide to get a Hican -- a Hickory-Pecan hybrid -- instead. I'm pretty sure they can be pollinated by the hickories around here. Getting any harvestable nuts away from squirrels and chipmunks is another issue altogether. :roll:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Your first sentence highlights your problem. Pecans get pretty large. My father-in-law has several on his property and the smallest is over 30 ft. tall with a canopy that is probably close to 50' across. His lady friend had one in her yard but recently had it cut down due to disease but she was constantly fighting web worm infestations every year.

Prior to Hurricane Katrina toppling my neighbors Pecan tree that was right next to our property line, my veg. garden plot only received sun from around noon till sunset and my fig tree was growing sideways searching for light. Since it fell, my garden is doing much better, especially in the fall/winter season and the fig tree is now growing vertically and not horizontally.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

In Maine you are going to have to use Carya illinoisensis, the hardy pecan. It does not mature until twelve to fifteen years; get started now for fruit in a decade and a half...

HG

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

what? really?? 12-15 years?? woah! OK! I keep trying to find info on the northern james tree but I cant ever seem to find what I'm looking for.

Spongegirl
Cool Member

and they are fantastic! I live on my grandparents' old place and there are 2 of them. I am also soooo fortunate to have black walnuts. The bw sprout up all over the place and I am leaving them instead of mowing. I have never seen pecans sprouting though. This is the first year we have really enjoyed the pecans. Usually the squirrels beat us to them but this year we have a couple of dogs to help chase them away. For every 10 we crack, 3 are good. But its those times when you crack open the shell just right and both sides are joined and they are perfect, that makes the time worth it! That's a great bite! Ha! I sound romantic with the pecans, huh. I'm bored...and you sound like me..."I want everything to grow in my yard!" I also heard that you actually need 2 trees for the nuts to produce on the trees. with one tree, you'll get no nuts. Ya know, I even tell my sassy 11 year old that her next punishment is to pick up nuts. My baby on the other hand loves to put them in a bucket.
I want to see if pecans will make butter the same way as the shea nut does.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

yum! I have no patience to wait 15years for nuts though!

I wonder if walnuts take as long before they produce nuts?

applestar
Mod

I'm not sure but I think the grafted pecans bear nuts a little earlier. :?:

:lol: We're thinking right along the same lines :lol:
Pecans... Walnuts... Chestnuts (probably a hybrid)... Hazelnuts (this one is mostly for wildlife - trying not to go with European Filberts though they're bigger nuts) I'm also thinking All-in-One Almond (not Hall's with is said to be somewhat bitter) -- *some* kind of a NUT! :wink:

Also tempted by Japanese Heartnut even though I'm trying to stick with native plants -- the size is right.... 8)

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

oooooooooooooooo almonds!!!!!! I need to stop while I'm ahead haha.

I think I'm going to get "something" from the fedco co-op sale this spring. I'm going to tell my DH that he is to set aside $200 for my garden habit from tax returns HAHAHAHA. I'll let you know how that goes over, ROFL!

Return to “All Other Fruit”