orgoveg
Green Thumb

Too cold to plant garlic?

I tried growing garlic for the first time this year. I planted in the spring and got tiny bulbs. So, doing it right this time, I put fresh cloves in the ground just over a week ago for next year. I haven't seen any sprouts yet. In the spring, they popped up almost immediately.

The temperatures have ranged from 40's to 70's. Daytime temp is low 50's the last 2 days. I've been watering them moderately every other day.

I'm wondering if I waited too long or if I should just be patient.

TWC015

I think you are fine with your garlic planting. Garlic needs to be exposed to the cold to bulb properly.

In your climate, you probably don't want much green growth before winter. The growth right now is the root system. You may not see sprouts until late winter or early spring.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

mine is supposed to go in like, um... last week? it was raining so I didnt get to it. but they say its supposed to be cold I think to plant it. I hope I didn't miss the window!

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Don't worry, I haven't planted mine yet. Will do it in the next week or two.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I agree, not to late. If it makes you feel a little more at ease, do a little snooping. Dig down around one of the cloves. You will probably find lots of roots and a green tip started.

I'll be planting my hardneck "Music" tomorrow or Sunday.

2009 harvest
[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Farmers%20Market%20Produce/DSC02406.jpg[/img]

Good luck
Eric

orgoveg
Green Thumb

Thanks! All the feedback sounds very encouraging :)

farmerlon
Green Thumb

doubledog... that's a fantastic looking Garlic harvest! :D

No vampires around your place, huh? :P

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I should have said planted Oct 2009, harvested July 13th 2010

No vampires around your place, huh?
No, no vampires, but it does attract customers at the market. I sold most of the garlic, in photo, for $8.00 a pound. :D I almost forgot to hold some back for planting tomorrow. :oops:

Eric

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

You will be fine. Anytime before hard winter seems to work.
It doesn't need to come up this fall. I like to mulch it to help protect it from hard freezing ground. Winters can get pretty cold here at times. For larger bulbs, plant the largest cloves and eat the small ones.
Harvest time will vary depending on your climate and the season variations. Each year is different, but as a rule I harvest the first part of August.

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

well, I planted mine this afternoon. HopefullY I've done it correctly!!!

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I also planted mine today. :D

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30824

Eric

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Hmm... planted mine a couple of weeks ago, been in the low 70's, then this week are almost at 80!!! :shock:
Mine is already starting to come up, I can see small green shoots coming up out of the ground... hope it will be ok!

sheeshshe
Greener Thumb

shoot, I forgot to water mine....

jmoore

It's probably too late, but I may have to stick a few in the ground this week and see what happens.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It would be too late for me, especially since my garden is now under 6" of snow, but not too late for you in Dallas.

jmoore

rainbowgardener wrote:It would be too late for me, especially since my garden is now under 6" of snow, but not too late for you in Dallas.
I only have cloves from a bulb I bought at the store. Would these be worth trying or should I try and round up something else?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That's exactly what I planted, cloves from store-bought garlic bulb. They sprouted quite nicely and hopefully are dormant but alive under the snow.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

It's worth trying, but occasionally they will not sprout because they are treated. It's a coin-toss, though, so it would be worth a try.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”