ACW

End of season container compost!

With winter coming in with a vengance here ,its either cold or very wet ,and we have had the first couple of air frosts .
its time to put the container veggie containers away.
Whats the best way to use or reuse the spent potting compost .
use it as a mulch in the garden , add it to the compost heap,or send of to land fill (don't like that idea ,as the compost has a good texture)

All ideas welcome !

rot
Greener Thumb

If it's more organic material than earth or dirt then throw it on the heap.

If it's more earth or dirt with the nutrients removed by the veggies stir it up, mix in some new compost and let it sit for the winter. When spring comes you can add a little more compost and you're ready for planting.

to sense

Halfway
Green Thumb

Same with MG rot?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Absolutely don't send it to the landfill!! That would be very wasteful. Any of the above. It will add nice texture to your soil if you put it in a garden bed or as noted it can be recharged and reused. I tend to dump a bunch of containers worth of soil together in a wheelbarrow add at least half that much fresh potting soil, stir it all together and reuse.

toxcrusadr
Greener Thumb

I do the same, Rainbow. I screen out the roots and stuff using a chicken wire screen, and store the potting mix in a bin (not sealed though) over the winter. In spring mix in some screened fresh compost for microbes, maybe some potting soil for texture, maybe a handful of balanced fertilizer, and go to town.

One caution though, if you tend to have diseases that live in the soil, you may not want to reuse as potting soil so just compost it. We have bad tomato blight around here, so when I planted my big maters in pots last spring I used the old stuff in the bottom half of the pot, and put fresh over top, so the blight wouldn't splash up onto the leaves. Worked pretty well.

You can always compost or put it into the garden.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Right on the garden and let nature sort it out!

Nature; she's a mutha!

8)

I always put a few things on top of the beds to rot down; I rake them off and compost them fully in spring...

HG

rot
Greener Thumb

Halfway, I give up. What id you mean by MG?

Winter is short here. I stir in some compost and churn the roots up some and let set for our brief winter so the newly stirred in compost breaks down some creating fresh nutrients to be directly taken in by next season's plants. Not that I have any evidence that it works really great, it's just my way of thinking. When Planting time comes, I'll add some more.

to sense

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Probably Miracle Gro. :twisted:

ACW

Well
my plans are now set some spread as a mulch in the garden over the leaves I have had my council collect for me :roll:
Some into the compost heap,and the rest mixed with compost ready for next years growing campaign on the balcony !
Thanks for the input ,more welcomed !

Halfway
Green Thumb

rot wrote:..
Halfway, I give up. What id you mean by MG?

Winter is short here. I stir in some compost and churn the roots up some and let set for our brief winter so the newly stirred in compost breaks down some creating fresh nutrients to be directly taken in by next season's plants. Not that I have any evidence that it works really great, it's just my way of thinking. When Planting time comes, I'll add some more.

to sense
Miracle Grow.

Return to “Composting Forum”