rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

STILL NO RAIN!!!!!

Still warmish (mid 70's), sunny, and DRY... we have had two short, light rains since the end of June, maybe half an inch total. That puts us about a foot of rain short for the season!

Yesterday, I ran the hose for 5 straight hours, just moving it from one place to another. This was mostly watering the trees and shrubs I have planted on the hillside. I have not watered them all summer, but they are getting ready to go dormant, so this is an important time to give them some water, help them make it through winter.

It was amazing. I could run the hose in one spot for 20 minutes. Come back and dig down three inches and it was still dry!! The bone dry earth just soaks up immense amounts of water.

All of you folks with extra rain, please send some my way! :)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

83 degrees, it's hot enough that the grasshoppers have returned in droves. Very dry! We have a 40% chance of rain this evening, but no clouds on the radar yet. Another 40% chance later in the week. It a shame plants can't grow on predicted rain instead of real rain.

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tomf wrote:Hopping for a winter with lots of snow in the hills.
You may just get your wish! I've read that we're moving into a La Niña year, as opposed to the El Niño that began last fall. According to [url=https://www.wrcc.dri.edu/enso/ensofaq.html#22]this site[/url], that means more precipitation. :)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Yup, I am stoked. I will be buying g our season passes this week. We ski at Mt Hood Meadows. Your from Oregon kisal so I know you know the place.
We live between Portland and Mt. Hood a bit SE of Sandy, so it is not that far for us to go to Mt Hood. I hope to get up 2 or more times a week. Can't be in the garden so I may as well be in mother nature some place.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I do indeed know Mt. Hood, having done some hiking there. Sadly, a good friend of mine had a fatal fall there a couple of years ago, while descending from a climbing expedition. :(

I'm sure Mt. Hood Meadows is much safer than climbing to the peak, though, and I'm sure you know all the mountain safety rules. ;)

tedln
Super Green Thumb

and watch out for those mean mountain goats Tom.

Ted

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Yay! THUNDER!! RAIN!! DARK CLOUDS!! I always welcome some good stormy weather. Its about time.

Dear Stormy Weather,

Please stay for a while.. It would be awesome to have a winter this year that isn't so much like summer :D k? thanks!

Love: Kellyn

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote: It's a shame plants can't grow on predicted rain instead of real rain. Ted
Oh yeah! My garden would be a lot better off right now if it could have used all the rain that was predicted and never showed up!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

No rain for a while in southeast La. either. It's been weeks since anything other than my hose has watered the garden. Matter of fact, I did something I hardly ever do yesterday afternoon after watering the garden. I watered my lawn a bit just to put a little moisture to the St. Augustine grass. It has been browning a bit lately and that is not a good sign. I generally have a pretty lush lawn year round, even though I only have to cut it a couple times a month in the fall.

The morning temps. are nice----mid to high 50's with relatively low humidity for our area with highs in the low to mid 80's for the past couple weeks. They are predicting a cool front to move through later this week and hopefully milder temps. will follow keeping it in the 70's for a high for a while.

tomf
Super Green Thumb

In 2009 we had a woman get hit by a chunk of ice, Kisal was this your friend? I read that there have been over 130 people killed on Mt Hood. I think because it is an easy climb people climb when they should not have. Remember the 7 kids that died in a snow cave? The weekend that Timberline reopened I went up to the Palmer skiing and went out of bounds to the area where they died as I liked to get away from every one else and the snow is better where others have not skied. To get to the area I had to jump over 2 crevasses so deep it was dark at the bottom of them; not a good place to fall. I then saw some flags and skied toward them. There was a big bump in the side wall of the hill so I got some air off of it. After I landed and looked back I saw I had got air off of the snow cave they died in. To this day thinking about that gives me the creeps. I am not so crazy now that I am a bit older so do not worry I will probably not get killed.

We are in our rain season so it will rain plenty untill next spring, then next summer it will just stop rainning. :roll:

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Many years ago, we lived in a city with few snowfalls. One night the weatherman on television announced it would only be partly cloudy overnight with no chance of moisture. Early the next morning he got a phone call at his home informing him he should look outside because he has six inches of partly cloudy in his driveway.

Ted

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Why is it the weatherman says today it will be partly sunnybut tonight it will be partly cloudy?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I suppose they could say 0% chance of sun tonight. :lol:

Eric

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've pretty much given up on the weatherman here (particularly since he seems to base his predictions for Ambato on the town of Latacunga, some 30 km distant and 500m lower in wet paramo), but I've found that I can predict my weather with reasonable accuaracy about 2 hours in advance by looking towards the Llanganates cordillera.....

Today is sunny and we're headed for at least 110, and gauging by the Llanganates it's going to stay that way with only cirrus clouds.

applestar
Mod

Does any weathersite give you a reasonably accurate prediction for frost?
Does it have to do with the dewpoints that always accompany weather reports but which I have NO idea what they mean? My remote thermometer on the front porch is more apt to show the dewpoint temperature in the early morning than the reported current temperature.

FORGET the FORECASTED temperature. I have 4 different weather apps on my iPad and none of them are particularly accurate when it comes to temperature predictions :roll: WeatherBug and Wunderground are pretty good for CURRENT temperature and weather since there are stations within reasonable distance, but they seem to rely on some official forecast or other that are ridiculously inaccurate. :?

Lorax, is that the volcano -- sorry I'm not remembering all your Ecuadorian geography lessons. :roll: Maybe if I had a volcano nearby, it would tell me the accurate weather forecast.... :>

lorax
Greener Thumb

Nope, the Llanganates is the cordillera that runs along to the east of me (if I look towards Quito, it's on my right); the volcano (Tungurahua) is located just to the west of it (ie inside the cordillera) at the head of the Rio Pastaza, and is actually the demarcation point between the Cordillera de los Llanganates and the Cordillera del Condor.

Of the two, I think I'd prefer to be stranded on the volcano; the Llanganates is famous for being full of quaking sand bogs, and for not seeing the sun more than maybe 10 days out of any given year, and for not having more than 2 species of edible plants native to it. At least Tungurahua would give me a quick death.

The only forecast you'll get from an active volcano is "cloudy with a 100% chance of some amount of ash falling on you". :()

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I live in a true "micro climate". We have a large lake on three sides of us. We live on a finger of land about 1/4 mile wide protruding into the lake. A breeze blowing across the lake from any of three directions lowers our temps. This morning was sunny and bright until the morning fog on the lake moved across us. As usual, the fog burned off in a couple of hours and it has been sunny and warm since.

Because we live near Dallas, Directv delivers the Dallas news channels as our "local" channels. Because we are at least sixty miles North of Dallas, the Dallas news channels don't consider us local enough to even report on our weather. Weather Underground on the internet is our only option to see any kind of a forecast. It is pretty accurate and timely.

Ted

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

I am afloat as we speak. We put up Christmas decorations today. I have a little Griswold in me.

You can never have too much Ho Ho Ho!

[img][img]https://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd5/charliemv/chrismas%20Boat/ChristmasBoat005-2.jpg[/img]
[/img]

We're going to get a few more lights and re-work the whole thing but it does make me feel good. Cousin Ted, you description of home opened the door to my changing the subject.

Lorax, check out the Parrot hanging at the back of the fly bridge. I bet your parrots of Ecuador don't come with lights.

lorax
Greener Thumb

No, they don't come with lights. They do come in big flocks, though, and eat all the fruit off my Arazaa tree, the little potlickers... :twisted:

People here are starting to put out their giant glowing Santas and big nativity scenes on their lawns. Which is kind of weird, considering it's not even Day of the Dead yet. :shock:

Oh, and to keep us OT, it's a balmy 95 right now, and we're headed upwards of 110 again. My goodness, I love summer!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Its raining heavy! :D

Ted

BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

The sun decided to come out this morning :) I must admit that it is nice to have some sun every now and then.. plus as much as my plants love the humidity of the rain.. they love the sun just as much. I enjoy the sun and the rain equally just as long as they come in moderation :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny/cloudy, 59º. Not a bad day. Rained last night ... the first wave of the first of our winter storms. It's supposed to be windy, too, but I haven't noticed any of that yet. It's probably storming like mad over on the coast, though. :roll:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

I have a weather rock. 8) :wink:

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tomf wrote:I have a weather rock. 8) :wink:
LMFAO

Is it wet and swinging? :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Are we talking about Indian Weather rocks.

https://www.indianweatherrock.com/origin.html

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Good grief! Wama-okas, yet! Those sneaky little devils get into so much mischief! You gotta keep an eye on 'em ... if you can! LMFAO

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Right now, it's about 42º and raining, but we're supposed to get temps down into the 20s later this week! They're even predicting snow on the valley floors early next week. Wow! I wonder if we'll have snow for Thanksgiving? I haven't seen one of those in decades! :shock:

Better get your skis waxed up, Tom! :D

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

-Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday

41° F | 34° F 80% chance of precipitation Rain Showers

38° F | 32° F 70% chance of precipitation Snow Showers

38° F | 27° F 60% chance of precipitation Snow Showers

34° F | 23° F 50% chance of precipitation Chance of Snow

31° F | 22° F 50% chance of precipitation Chance of Snow

:x :x :x :cry: :cry: :cry:

Eric

tomf
Super Green Thumb

We had some snow at my house. 8)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

tomf wrote:We had some snow at my house. 8)
:D I know you've been looking forward to that! :D

Here on the floor of the southern part of the Valley, it's just downright soggy. There's water standing in my backyard, there's water standing in the street in front of my house, and there's water falling from the sky. :roll:

Yesterday, I shampooed all my carpets. Today, when I went out to put the covers on the outdoor faucets, Daisy slipped into the house before I could stop her. There is a trail of muddy doggy footprints from the back door through the utility room down the hall and into the living room. It never ends. :lol:

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

and this is exactly why I don't have carpets. hehe :lol: :lol: :P

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Garden2008014.jpg[/img]

Sorry!

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have hardwood floors under my carpets, but carpets are easy enough to shampoo. :)

applestar
Mod

It's 21°F. TWENTY-ONE! Did they predict it? Of course not. :roll:
Low tonight is supposed to be 51°F or 52°F depending on the source.
Crazy weather.... :shock:

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

70 degrees, heavy dark clouds over most of the sky but the sun is peeking out every once in a while. Rain predicted for most of the day with heavier rain tonight and a cool front suppose to come through by tomorrow bringing the temps down into the upper 40's. It is very humid right now and I'm happy it's not much warmer.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Around 100F today, and erupting (Tungurahua has chosen to make its presence known yet again, now with 75% more lava fountains.)

BugNuts

8:44 Pm 73 and misting, today's high was 82 so year round growing BUT NO BUG WINTER KILL and there are many... I guess we all can't have it all. :wink:

applestar
Mod

December 1 -- well, almost... And 58.8°F outside. TOTALLY unheard of !!! :shock:

Expecting the storm that's coming up from the south to arrive, pass, then the cold front to come ROARING back tomorrow (45 mph gusts, so they say).

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dec 1 2010

Sunny, breezy, low 29 warming up to 58 today.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

we had that storm from the south - not far from here got 6.75 inches of rain yesterday ( :shock: )

today, back to cold, high in the upper thirties, low at maybe 18 tonight. I've still got a tiny crop of oca in an insulated little wigwam I erected last week, but it hasn't been warm (or not pouring) enough to check on it in awhile.

applestar
Mod

13°F outside! Hourly forecast said 21°F. :roll:
Don't think I mulched enough.... :?
Brrr!!!

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”