mansgirl

I need fun ideas for peppers next year!

I'm looking for unique peppers to grow next year. We love experimenting in the garden and have decided to eliminate some of our lesser used plants in favor of growing more peppers. I'm looking for input from anyone who has grown anything creative.

I'm thinking I'd like to try a white or mustard habenero, chicken heart peppers, a Tabasco pepper, and I was just reading about an atomic starfish pepper. I'm definently doing Peter Peppers again, how fun!

Any input or ideas would be awesome! : )

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

I've grown a couple of new peppers the last few years.

A selection of hot peppers show up annually in my garden -- garden salsa, jalapeno, super chili, Thai. But, I also really like sweet peppers! Giant Marconi is a special favorite and lots are needed around here. And, I see nothing wrong with putting a hottie in with the sweet to liven a dish up a bit :wink: .

Last year, I tried a few Japanese peppers from Kitazawa. The Takanotsume peppers are just blazingly hot!! ETA: The Yatsufusa peppers have a real interesting look [url]https://www.kitazawaseed.com/seed_238-104.html.[/url] I had some problems with the plants but some of them made it thru seedling stage.

The skinny, little Fushimi peppers, on the other hand, are sweet and real tasty in stir-fries!

This year, I thought I'd see how little sweet Italian peppers do and grew Pepperoncini. I guess it had never occurred to me that the wrinkles in a pickled Pepperoncini are NOT caused by the vinegar :roll: . Funny little wrinkled things . . . .

Anyway, after picking Thai Hots for a couple of hours and not getting much more than I could stuff in my shirt pockets . . . I'm wondering why I grow so many of these plants! I mean, a pocket full will go a loooong way!

Probably, I will grow more and more sweet peppers since more pounds of them can be included in my diet, along with grams of the red, hot dynamite that we can choose from :twisted: .

:!:

Steve

Canadian Farmer Guy

I'm thinking of growing cayenne peppers next year.
If I grow enough I'd like to experiment with drying and powdering them.

CFG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

for bell peppers, I like the rainbow bell pepper seed packets:

https://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=03157&c=132&p=Rainbow+Hybrid+Bell+Pepper

from one seed packet, you can grow a bunch of different colors of peppers in your garden. I will say in my 2-3 yrs of growing them, the purples tended to predominate and I never saw the white one. But I did also get reds, oranges, yellows.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

mansgirl wrote:I'm looking for unique peppers to grow next year. Any input or ideas would be awesome! : )

Why not give poblano peppers a try? I've had success with them before and will likely plant some next spring. My wife and I like them stuffed with a mix of some ground meat seasoned with cumin, chili powder(just like taco meat), sauteed onion, bell pepper, garlic and a couple of cheeses for good measure. Make the mix kind of dry and let it cool before stuffing the peppers. Grill the peppers till they are cooked and the stuffing is hot. I find it is best to cut the peppers in half to stuff and cook. If you just cut off the top and stuff them, they tend to ooze stuffing out the top unless you cap it with some foil prior to cooking.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

A really fun pepper to try is the [url=https://www.chileseeds.co.uk/BhutJolokiachillipepperseeds.htm]bhut jolokia[/url] AKA: the ghost pepper.

With a scoville rating of just over 1 MILLION, it's the hottest pepper in the world. Also, the fish peppers are neat, especially the white ones.

applestar
Mod

I second FISH peppers. They're variegated -- plants AND fruits. So you get the beautiful plants with white splashed all over as well as fruits that range from all white (cream, really) to all red and stripes of whites and oranges in between. Green/cream variegation while the fruits are young, of course.

AJI DULCE is another unusual one that I tried growing this year. I'm still trying to decide if I DO like the flavor -- it's supposed to have the appearance and fruity sweetness of Habaneros WITHOUT THE HEAT. It's in a separate category called "spice" peppers in one catalog. It has a flowery flavor that I'm not entirely sure I like. It reminds me of Tanqueray gin in an odd way. I'm going to try making some Hot Pepper Jelly with them mixed in to see if that would work. I do find they work really well in a Chili (you know the stew kind?) recipe, but not so well in a Curry recipe. I'm going to dry them and grind them up so I can just use a pinch here and there. Appearance-wise, the fruits grow from green to orange to red and can be picked in any color stage (slightly different flavor/aroma).

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Some of my favorite oddballs.

Bolivian Rainbow--ornamental, but colorful and easy to grow.
Tastes lousy, maybe good for parrots?

Cumari/yellow jellybean- Pea-sized relative of Habanero. Nice looking compact bushy plant loads up with yellow fruit. Heat equal to a Hab but fades much faster. Some say they taste like fruit loops, but not for me. Good for container patio plant.

Peruvian White Hab/white bullet. Early, productive compact plant. Not much air inside the fruits so they take up little room in the freezer. Heat similar to Cumari, fades before you are forced to go for milk.

Yellow Bumpy. A yellow Hab. Different flavor than an orange Hab.
Early and very very productive for me.

Brazilian starfish- Sweet and hot. Can remove seeds to bring heat down. Good little containers for stuffed salad hors d'oeurves. Viney plant needs support.

Fish pepper--pretty green and white variegated leaves and fruit. Fruit turn solid red, good for crushed red pepper flakes.

Aji cristal--different citrussy flavor, heat like banana pepper, texture like peproncinii. Viney plant needs support.

Hot Lemon- Productive, lemmony flavor. Heat level similar to a serrano.

---

Anchos/poblanos are nice because they do double duty for roasted green chilis and dried red chili powder. Which is a bonus in that few ripen before frost for me.

applestar
Mod

Brazilian starfish- Sweet and hot. Can remove seeds to bring heat down. Good little containers for stuffed salad hors d'oeurves. Viney plant needs support.
Hot Lemon- Productive, lemmony flavor. Heat level similar to a serrano.
Ooh! Adding these two to my next year's seeds wishlist. 8)

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I like the yellow Habaneros I grew this year. They are twice the size of the regular Habanero and really neat looking. I don't eat these peppers; they are too hot for my palate, but I think I will try them again next year, just because they give you a lot of pepper per habanero bush and are, well, attractive :D

I second the member who wrote Poblanos. They are a huge pepper on a huge plant going 5' to 6' tall and, after the first tentative wave of peppers, produce like mad. Best of all, they are a multi-purpose hot pepper that are excellent stuffed, chopped, or eaten fresh. I guess they are the pepper of choice for drying, in that they are called Anchos when dried, so I'm betting people dry them frequently. Good flavor, but maybe too mild if you are looking for a really hot pepper. I seriously like their hunter green, sleek appearance, too.

soil
Greener Thumb

try here for some peppers you cant get most anywhere else, I grew a few from this site this year and will be buying a lot more to try next year. they made for some DELICIOUS chili powder.

https://www.nativeseeds.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_16&osCsid=a8tdd7iolltoai0jqml0kkgp86

they also sell Chiltepines, which are the wild ancestors of peppers.

https://www.nativeseeds.org/catalog/index.php?cPath=1_1061

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Soil,

I used to work with a guy from Mexico whose relatives would send him jars of wild picked, Chile Pequin, peppers. He would eat them from the jar with a teaspoon the way I would eat Texas style pinto beans. He convinced me to try one of the little pea sized peppers. I thought I was going to die. That was the hottest thing I have ever eaten. Of course I couldn't let him know that I was in excruciating pain.

I don't know if you read the details of the South Texas Chile Pequin you linked to, but the seed is from wild grown peppers harvested along fence rows near McAllen, Texas in the lower Rio Grande valley.

I've seen them as potted plants covered with blooms and later, covered with peppers.

Texas

soil
Greener Thumb

I don't know if you read the details of the South Texas Chile Pequin you linked to, but the seed is from wild grown peppers harvested along fence rows near McAllen, Texas in the lower Rio Grande valley.
yup thats the best part about them :D mine were pretty hot. but I also have a high tolerance to heat.

most of the peppers( and other seeds) they sell were collected on roadside stands or from native americans tribes. cool stuff if you ask me.

lorax
Greener Thumb

My hands-down faves are:

Aji Macho - long, large hottish peppers that start out fairly sweet with a touch of heat when they're green, go through blazing hot at the yellow-orange state, and then sweeten up again when they're red. The plant is really bushy and it's an excellent high-heat perfomer.

Bombitas (Little Bombs) - round green sweet peppers that gain a mild heat when they're red ripe. A slow starter, but the plants are prolific.

Dientes del Dragon (Dragon's Teeth) - a real crowd pleaser; small purple tooth-shaped peppers that ripen through white-yellow-orange to red. One of the hottest peppers I've ever grown, excellent flavour, and also very ornamental. Another excellent high-heat performer. A newer cultivar, called Lagrimas del Dragon (Dragon's Tears), has the same flavour but round, berry-type fruits.

Auto da Fe (Trial by Fire) - a superhot Aji type; very small peppers that are extremely spicy (ie pick it with gloves hot) and which are normally harvested green and allowed to redden up in the sun on the windowsill as they dehydrate. These are my favourite peppers for hot ceviche - there's enough heat in them to cook shrimp that are marinaded overnight.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

soil wrote:
yup thats the best part about them :D mine were pretty hot. but I also have a high tolerance to heat.

most of the peppers( and other seeds) they sell were collected on roadside stands or from native americans tribes. cool stuff if you ask me.
Yep, my heat tolerance has increased with age. I eat the hot stuff now, but I do draw the line somewhere below habenero.

Ted

farmerlon
Green Thumb

I grew the Sweet Havana hybrid Pepper this year, and it has been added to my "must have" list...
[url]https://henryfields.com/product.asp?pn=73883&bhcd2=1287532009[/url]

It's like an elongated Bell Pepper, and it has what I can only describe as a very mild heat that you would not expect in a "sweet" Pepper... great on pizzas and sandwiches; and a nice size and shape for stuffing.
I shared this Pepper with a lot of friends and family that don't like hot peppers, and they loved the Havana!

csvd87

The Sweet Cayenne is a productive plant with no punget slim up to 12" pods, great for frying, delicious, as for neat plants, try the Aji Omni Colour or maybe Numex Twilight, Filius Blue is a cool plant(as long as you don't kill it with overwatering) Black Pear is a really cool plant, with almost black foliage and little marble sized black peppers that mature to red. here is my list for next years porch container garden :)

Aji Brown
Black Pearl
Bonnet-Bell F3
Brazilian Starfish
Bhut-Bell F3
CAP 1478
Chocolate Beauty
Chocolate Fatali
Cayenne (Long Slim Variety)
Cajun Belle F1
Fidalga Vermelha
Filius Blue
Fooled You Jalapeno
Italian Pepperoncini
Jalapeno
Piri Piri
Peruvian White Habanero
Sweet Cayenne
Short Yellow Tobasco

I'll see which ones do well... :)

garden5
Super Green Thumb

csvd87 wrote:The Sweet Cayenne is a productive plant with no punget slim up to 12" pods, great for frying, delicious, as for neat plants, try the Aji Omni Colour or maybe Numex Twilight, Filius Blue is a cool plant(as long as you don't kill it with overwatering) Black Pear is a really cool plant, with almost black foliage and little marble sized black peppers that mature to red. here is my list for next years porch container garden :)

Aji Brown
Black Pearl
Bonnet-Bell F3
Brazilian Starfish
Bhut-Bell F3
CAP 1478
Chocolate Beauty
Chocolate Fatali
Cayenne (Long Slim Variety)
Cajun Belle F1
Fidalga Vermelha
Filius Blue
Fooled You Jalapeno
Italian Pepperoncini
Jalapeno
Piri Piri
Peruvian White Habanero
Sweet Cayenne
Short Yellow Tobasco

I'll see which ones do well... :)
CS, I was just thinking about the Fillius Blue and how it would make a good addition to this list. Also, that black pearl sounds cool as well. Looking at your list, I see you plan on growing the buht bell. Have you tried this one before, I heard it doesn't have any heat :?.

csvd87

I haven't grown the bhut-bell before. but since it's a hybrid. there is no telling what the heat will be like, but if it is on the milder side, great, because I ate one of my jalapenos and just about died. a pearcing lasting pain.

mansgirl

Thanks for all the great ideas. I think I definently will grow some poblanos, I was toying with it, but on the fence. I've read about the fish peppers too and am now definently going to do those too. I'll be pulling this thread up when I order my seeds!

Which leads me to another question.. Whats everyone's favorite website for ordering seeds?

lorax
Greener Thumb

I like [url=https://www.mcfayden.com]McFayden[/url] and [url=https://www.johnnyseeds.com]Johnny's Seed[/url].

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I like the selection at Tomato Growers Supply.

There are lots of little "mom and pop" pepper seed sellers for the really rare things.

I also like the Sample Seed Shop as a gardener run seed shop.

soil
Greener Thumb

anyone ever heard of this pepper before? grown it?

I think I'm going to buy some seed this winter for next season. I like the fact that on multiple websites they said it was cold hardy, two of them said below freezing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens

csvd87

like the Rocoto? Heard of it yes, grown it no, but I want to, especially if they can live up to 15 years :) check [url=https://www.thechileman.org/results.php?find=Any&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Pubescens&chile=1&submit=Search]The Chileman[/url] for some more varieties of the C. Pubescens

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

I grew a couple last year, CAP 1492, and rocoto red. Neither one did very well for me early in the season so I didn't get any ripe fruit before frost. If I try them again I'll probably use large containers because peppers are hit or miss in my dirt.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

TZ -OH6 wrote:I like the selection at Tomato Growers Supply.

There are lots of little "mom and pop" pepper seed sellers for the really rare things.

I also like the Sample Seed Shop as a gardener run seed shop.
Remy at Sample Seed Shop is a special person.

Before she started selling, she sent me free seeds! Even this year, she was only charging $1 per packet for many of her seeds.

:)

Steve

garden5
Super Green Thumb

The Sample Seed Shop Looks interesting, I'll have to check them out.

I've found [url=https://www.reimerseeds.com/]Reimer Seeds[/url] to have a very good selection. Their customer service is not the best, and I did get some eggplant seeds that turned out to be tomatoes, but other than that, no other problems. Fast shipping as well. Also, they're usually good for a few more seeds per pack than what's stated, sometimes a lot more. It depends on what you order.

CS, that's some list you have given us. Every time I look at it, I find something else that piques my interest. This time, it's the white habanero.

csvd87

And yet I still want to grow more... I tried the white hab in around june, I had 6 of 6 sprout, but I didn't get them past seedling stage, which was alright anyways, I won't have room to grow them overwinter anyways.

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Before ordering from Reimers look through the internet for people's opinions. When I did that two years ago they were almost universally hated for their product and customer service as far as the rare peppers go. Germination rate was low to zero and Reimers blamed it on the customer's ability. That seemed to be mainly a pepper issue, not for vegetables in general AFAIK.

mansgirl

soil wrote:anyone ever heard of this pepper before? grown it?

I think I'm going to buy some seed this winter for next season. I like the fact that on multiple websites they said it was cold hardy, two of them said below freezing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capsicum_pubescens
Is this the same thing as a Cherry Bomb? I know they're called lots of other things as well.. Cherry Peppers, Hot Bombs.. anyone know?

Are most of these recommendations for websites or do I need to order a catalog? I've found all of the peppers I'm looking for, but on a few different sites, I'd like to find one site with all the seeds I need so I can hopefully save on shipping.. Yup, I'm Dutch! : )

TZ -OH6
Super Green Thumb

Nope, not the same thing. Cherry Bomb and cherry peppers are Capsicum anuum just like jalapenos, bell peppers, cayennes etc.

Capsicum pubescense (generic names: rocoto, locoto) are not commercially grown in the US (AFAIK) so about the only way you'll find them for sale is from small seed companies (a.k.a. some guy) that grow their own.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”