BewilderedGreenyO.o
Green Thumb

Finally Socal is getting a small break from the sun :) Overcast today with cooler temps in the 60s - mid 70s F. Yay!

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

We're on day four or five of rain. My grass is already way too tall, now it's gonna be a real pain to cut.

The biggest problem with a new house, besides having no garden, is the 2-3 foot grass!

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

:( Well my potatoes definately froze!!! :( Plus woke up to a light skiff of SNOW :cry: I guess our summer that wasn't is over!!!!! Not happy about this at all. Don't know if we are supposed to get more or not? But this was enough for me! The flowers and roses are up againgst the building, and are OK so far, but will be putting straw on them later today. It's sitting out there waiting for me! But snow? Maybe next place will be a motorhome and lots of potted plants, and veggies. Sure is starting to be a thought!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

We are getting our last blast of summer I think. It has been cooler but this week it is HOT and Humid.

Garden is still kicking so whatever.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

We had a spell of fall weather, but now are back up to 93 degrees, near record for the date. And the 10 day forecast still has no noticeable amounts of rain (one day "isolated T-storms" which usually miss me and one day "few showers"). It is looking like we will make it all the way through Sept with no measurable amount of rain.... That will make us about 9" behind for the season.

Even the Japanese honeysuckle shrubs are all drooped and wilted. When the invasive honeysuckle isn't making it, you know everything else is in trouble!

I'm getting really tired of standing around with the hose... Really need to work on the grey water system!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

RBG I hear ya on even the productive plants not growing this year.

I was noticing the Irisis? (big green blades and orange flowers) not even doing well this year. Last year I cut them back to the ground every month for a green mulch only to have them bounce back as strong or stronger. Year to date this year they haven't even gotten as big as they did in a month last year.

I had to cut them back last year they got out of control but this year they are dismal to say the least. :cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

More record breaking temps, 93 today and ZERO rain.

Everything is dying.... :cry:

we need a better crying emoticon!

In the meantime, I'm going to go water more....

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Sunny and mid-70s! A gorgeous day! :clap:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Out WATERING ... it's pretty windy out there. Usually wind around here means a front is coming through and rain will come. But this is a hot dry wind that reminds me of the SantaAna winds we had when I was a kid in SoCal, blowing off the desert. Just adding to the desiccation. We are actually having fire hazard and brush fires... NEVER happens around here (in normal times).

There's currently no rain in the forecast through Oct 3. I really hope Oct isn't going to be like Sept has been. ZERO rain in sept so far and none predicted.

It actually feels pretty pleasant out there ... clear and sunny and breezy. 90's don't feel bad with no humidity and a breeze. It's just hard to really appreciate it while I am pouring out water trying to save things. (While I write this, I have left the hose just running next to a small lilac and even smaller japanese maple).

applestar
Mod

I've been watering the Japanese Maples during this year's drought. One year during drought, I stubbornly refused to water and both our 6' tall -- oh, 8' diameter -- Japanese maples dropped all their leaves in early August. I was aghast, thinking I'd let these gorgeous and very expensive trees die. As it turned out, they sprouted new leaves and filled out during the fall rainy season -- usually starts late Sept through Oct. -- and bounced back during the Indian Summer to store sufficient reserves for the winter. Whew!

This year, I have been careful to water before least sign of stress appeared. Neighbors who have not been as diligent have crispy leaves on theirs.

We had real rain for the second time within a week two nights ago. Last real rain was last Thursday. Before that, nada for most of the summer -- just bare sprinkles.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

NEVER happens around here (in normal times
I believe this will be more and more normal.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:
NEVER happens around here (in normal times
I believe this will be more and more normal.

Eric
unfortunate but true... hence the living lightly thread...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The plants not growing was SO eveident in beans around here; talked about this with a farmer the other day. Sure they produced, but not as much as a plant twice that size...

Eric seems to be correct; abnormality is the new normal. With global mean temperature .8 degrees above historic mean, we are already feeling the effects (mid eighties today with HIGH humidity; NOT normal for nearly October in CT). The real problem is that with a minimum of two more degrees of global mean increase assured (if we stopped anthropogenic CO2 tomorrow, the warmer temps release more CO2 on their own, meaning more greenhouse effect, thus higher temps), we can expect FAR worse than we arte currently seeing...

But as long as the disinformation campaigns continue, and as long as humans follow their time honored tradition of ignoring ecological damage until it collapses their civilization (for those interested in WTH I'm talking about please read [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse:_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed]Collapse by Jared Diamond[/url]), some will claim it isn't happening until we are roasting in December and frying in June. Wonder how we'll garden? (Or feed ourselves, or maintain rule of law, or survive...)

My cheery Friday post; enjoy...

HG

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sad but true HG.

I'm going to go kiss my kids and tell them I'm sorry. :(

Charlie MV
Greener Thumb

we've been in the low 90s or high 80s. Night times are in the low sixties. I t is too hot for mid October. Gotta move. How are property values in New Hampshire? Coming fron South Carolina will we have to pass a literacy test or need passports?

vtown05

Southern Georgia, 77 and sunny. I'm loving this weather! Starting to get down to 50 at night though.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Sunny, and we hit a high of 48 C / 119 F today. My bananas are lovin' it, and I've never had a higher germination rate with my heirloom altitude crops (local squashes, zucchini, tomatoes, etc etc...) I can almost watch my tomatoes ripening.

vtown05

lorax wrote:Sunny, and we hit a high of 48 C / 119 F today. My bananas are lovin' it, and I've never had a higher germination rate with my heirloom altitude crops (local squashes, zucchini, tomatoes, etc etc...) I can almost watch my tomatoes ripening.
That's CRAZY hot!

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's a pretty normal summer temperature here for a sunny day, actually. It was worse when I lived downslope at the top of the Amazon basin - that routinely went up to 120-125 with 98% humidity. Talk about a good reason to jump in the river!

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lorax,

You won't see me complaining about my hot 105 F next summer. I can't believe anyone would live in 119 F by choice. The only way I would do it is if I choose to commit a crime which causes me to go to jail in Arizona without air conditioning. I start getting uncomfortable at 85 F.

Just curious, what kind of tomatoes can you get to grow at 119 F? Want to trade some seeds?

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

At 119, I grow 'Strawberry' (a fantastic ID heirloom grape-type), 'Pomodori' (a D Roma type), and I'm currently testing 'Golden Queen' , 'Pineapple' and 'Cherokee Purple'. I also grow Tree Tomato (Solanum betaceum), which is a native plant.

I'd love to trade if you've got sweet corn.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Sounds good Lorax, I am surprised you are trying Cherokee Purple. I planned on growing it next year but decided to plant Spudakee Purple instead. I didn't realize CP would do well in the high heat.

Would trade some sweet corn, but since I don't grow it; about all I can do is send you some canned corn. Do you prefer creamed corn or whole kernel? :roll:

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

I don't know if Cherokee Purple will do well in the heat or not, but it's trial by fire in my gardens. Especially for this round of tomatoes, which are for the summer season (which is consistently hotter than the wet season.) They're the weakest of the seedlings at the moment.

applestar
Mod

Be sure to plant Cherokee Purples in the front. The plant didn't grow very tall/long compared to the others -- only about half the vine length, and not very vigorous. Fruits were prone to cat facing and cracking, but perfect fruits were lovely and flavor superb. I'm also hoping to try Spudakee next year for better performance while keeping the flavor.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Let me know when you are ready applestar, I will send you a few spudakee purple seed.

Ted

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Here is a list of some of the varieties which set blossoms and fruit well during the high heat. This is not my list, but I am growing the varieties in bold lettering and have seed for them if you want to try a few in Ecuador.

I don"t have the Gregori's Altai Tomato seed yet, but I plan on finding it and growing it as well.

Some tomatoes that set well in the heat this past summer were Big Beef, Gary O' Sena, Indian Stripe, Black Krim, Berkley Tie Dye Pink, Mule Team, Kosovo, Linnies Oxheart, Old Virginia, JD's Special C Tex, Stump of the World and Gregori's Altai Tomato.

Ted

applestar
Mod

tedln wrote:Let me know when you are ready applestar, I will send you a few spudakee purple seed.
Ooh! Thanks, Ted! :()

lorax
Greener Thumb

I've been wanting to try Black Krim for some time, but nobody I've talked to has had seed for it. I'd definitely trade Strawberry for it, if you like - they're the very best salad tomatoes I've ever eaten, and since they clone really well, I will never be without plants of them again.

The only thing I'll say is that fruit size was very variable on the Strawberry - everything from small roma-sized fruit, which wanted slicing for salads, to these lovely tiny sweet ones the size of my thumbnail. For me, this isn't an issue since I'm after the flavour and since the skins remained so thin.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Send me a pm with addresses and I will mail some seed to applestar and Lorax. I don't need anything in return. How much postage does it take to send a regular sized envelope to Ecuador?

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

Between $1.75 and $2.00 depending on weight.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

lorax wrote:Between $1.75 and $2.00 depending on weight.
Lorax,

You don't have to send me anything, but I would like to have the U.S. equivalent of $1.00 in Ecuadoran paper money and tell me some common items's that can be purchased in Ecuador for the dollar equivalent. The seed will be mailed Monday. I will enclose a $1.00 bill for exchange with the seed.

In the U.S. in Texas, a loaf of French Bread costs $1.89 at Walmart. Asparagus is $2.89 per lb. Avocados and Mango's can be bought on sale for two for one dollar. Not on sale, they are about $0.89 each. A gallon of milk is $3.49. Limes can be purchased on sale at twenty for $1.00. Not on sale, they can be as high as $0.25 each. Yellow crook neck squash is $2.69 per lb. Bananas are $0.39 per lb. at Walmart and $0.49 per lb. at smaller stores. How far can you stretch a dollar in Ecuador.

Ted

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

It's already after 3 P.M., and it hasn't even gotten up to 60º yet. My feet are cold! :(

lorax
Greener Thumb

Ted, Ecuador uses the US dollar, and has since 1996. :evil: I can send you some of our local coin, though - it's got the same value as US but has our own historic presidents on it. I might also be able to dig up some old Sucre bills for you, though. :()

For $1 here, I could buy any of the following:

Two large loaves of artisanal Whole Wheat bread or about a dozen French-style buns;
About 2 lbs of asparagus (depending on the season and vendor; this is only ever in the farmers' markets.)
Between 7 and 12 avocadoes depending on size and cultivar;
Between 4 and 18 mangoes depending on cultivar (4 Julies, Keitts, Tommies, or Reinas, or up to 18 Ambajadores)
Milk is sold in 1 litre increments, which cost 60-75 cents each;
Between 30 and 80 limes, depending on the season and size.
Squashes range between 50 cents and 3 dollars, by some obscure weight and cultivar combination that I can't decipher. A squash for roasting is typically 50 cents to 1.00, while a "pumpkin" for use in baking or making soup (normally weighing about 50-60 lbs) is about $3;
Bananas are between 25 and 60 cents a hand (12-15 fingers), $1 for the entire raceme of most sweet cultivars, and up to $3 for an entire raceme of cooking plantains (depending on cultivar and ripeness).
I can also buy a generous, freshly prepared 3-course lunch (soup, main, dessert, fresh juice) for $1.50

Transport wise, I can get to almost any point within Ambato from my house for $1 in a taxi (or 20 cents on the bus). For $1 on an interprovincial bus, I can also get from my house to the hot springs at Banos, 45 minutes away, or north to the town of Salcedo, which is famed for its ice cream.

I shop for three people to eat really well, and I am hard pressed to spend $25 a week on my fruits and veggies, and maybe another $15 on protein (chicken, turkey, beef, and fish).

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Lorax,

Thanks, but I was interested in the paper money. I didn't know they used the U.S. Dollar. Is that because so much of the exports are to the U.S. and paid for in Dollars? That could be very bad for Ecuador. With the existing inflation rate in Ecuador coupled with the future inflation rate of the Dollar, it could be devastating. The U.S. government announced a couple of weeks ago that high rates of inflation are the intended way to help pay down the national debt when the U.S. economy begins to recover and interest rates increase. While it will be difficult for U.S. citizens, it will be even worse for any country holding dollars in their treasury. I'm expecting inflation rates in the U.S. of 20% or more per year. The dollars held by Ecuador will be worthless in five years.

Ted

lorax
Greener Thumb

It's been horrid and devastating for Ecuador since it was implemented, at the force/blackmail position of the IMF/World Bank. If we had kept with the Sucre (the original currency of Ecuador), they wouldn't have granted the country the loans it needed to stay afloat. As it was, the president responsible for the dollarization was forcibly deposed by the citizens, but it was something that couldn't be reversed easily, and we're still dealing with the economic devastation it brought about.

The exchange rate for dollarization was 36,000 sucres to $1.00 US. I'm sure you can appreciate what that did, when things like bread used to be a 10 sucre item.

We're currently fighting the IMF and World Bank for the right to reinstitute the Sucre at 1996 levels. Inflation here is in the order of 30% or more per year.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Aaaaand... We've gone way OT. Sorry to have derailed the thread, folks! :roll:

To bring it back around, it's a cloudy 85 today in the Highlands, and likely that will be our high if the sun doesn't burn through. After the past couple of sunny days, I'm actually feeling a bit chilly (even though I know that's completely absurd, because "chilly" should start around 50....)

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's sixty two F in and out and I just closed windows and kicked on the pellet stove...

"Chilly" starts at sixty two degrees in Colchester. Today, anyway; this spring, sixty two will signal "warm". :lol:

It's all relative...

HG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

It's all relative

Only close Relatives should keep you warm. :lol:

Eric

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Foggy and 38º. Had to turn the heat on. Glad I got all the storm windows up! :!:

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Hopping for a winter with lots of snow in the hills. Got a pair of reverse camber tip and tail fat boys last year, go fast skis for deep snow. :D

It was a good day for cutting fire wood today, nice and cool.

Return to “Non-Gardening Related Hoo-ha and Foo”