weazol

Peppers turning black.

First off someone gave me this plant and I have no idea what type of pepper it is. But the stems have black on them and its now spreading to the pepper. Here is a picture of one after I have cut it off and cleaned it.
[img]https://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y157/Weazol/For%20Forums/IMAG0114.jpg[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Not a problem. That is pretty common with peppers.

MelissaE
Newly Registered

my pepper plant went black too and then spread to the peppers... cut one open and it seemed grand... but iv 4 diff types of peppers and I cant tell them apart lol well except for the bell pepper lol I dropd them when they wer sprouting and they got mixd up:P but mine seem fine:)

weazol

Ok :D , thank you both for the input

mansgirl

A lot of my peppers will do this, especially "green" peppers like green bells and jalepenos. They're totally fine, I usually just take it as a sign that they're ready to be picked and used. I'm not sure what causes the blackness though.. does any one know? It seems like I had more black on my peppers last season that this current season.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I've been getting this with my jalapenos recently as well. I think it has to do with the cold weather's effect on the ripening process since it hasn't happened until the temps got lower. Don't worry, they should be fine.

mansgirl

Oh.. that makes sense seeing as last season was much colder here than this season. Why didn't I think of that? :roll:

731greener101
Cool Member

My peppers did this all season,even during the 100+ degree weather.They seemed to be very hot as well.My peppers are still blooming,although I expect that to end in a week when first hard frost hits.I am thinking I might pot one up and bring it inside.I have done this before with great success.Greener

garden5
Super Green Thumb

I think it's also worth noting that it was only my green peppers that exhibited this turning-black characteristic.

Has anyone else found this to be true?

Return to “Pepper Forum”