jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Nice Onion

[img]https://donce.lofthouse.com/jamaica/market_9_22_10_11.jpg[/img]

Hispoptart

Wow that's awesome! Makes up from the lack of maters huh!

garden5
Super Green Thumb

That sure is a nice one! I got one or two that big this year. What variety is that, yellow sweet Spanish?

Do you fertilize your onions at all?

specgrade

"Nice" is an understatement! That is a beauty of an onion! Nice growin'.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

The variety is "Big Daddy".

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful onion Jal. It looks like a Walla Walla. My fall onions are doing well. I believe they would also be giant onions as spring planted onions. As fall onions, I am only expecting half sized bulbs before the days get to short.

Ted

garden5
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:Beautiful onion Jal. It looks like a Walla Walla. My fall onions are doing well. I believe they would also be giant onions as spring planted onions. As fall onions, I am only expecting half sized bulbs before the days get to short.

Ted
I thought fall onions were planted with the intention of them over-wintering and maturing to good size in the spring :? ? Guess I got it wrong.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

I plant my spring onions in January and they make big bulbs by early June. I've never grown fall onions before, but these will supposedly bulb by December. We are eating some nice green onions right now.

Ted

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Planting times for onions will vary considerably depending on your climate. Here we have a winter with snow on the ground for months. Usually the snow will leave in March and by April, the ground is such that planting can begin for the cool crops. I plant onions in April as soon as the ground is dry enough. It could be anytime in April depending on the weather.

I plant seed, sets and plants. The onions grow until mid August. If the tops haven't fallen over by then, I step on them and knock the tops over. I want them to start to dry out before the fall rains and snow start. So that means the onions grow for about 4 months here.

The only onions I plant in the fall are shallots and egyptian onions. I am not saying you can't winter onions over, I am saying that I never do it. That will depend some on your climate too I am sure.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Sorry, Ted, completely forgot about our different climates :lol:. My normal onion season mimics Jal's, excepts I don't get a frost till Oct.

I'm glad to hear you'll be able to have a nice double-crop of onions this year :). Perhaps next year I'll plan ahead and get some starts to save for over-wintering in the fall. If I remember correctly, from another thread on this subject, on member hear (Soil?) was doing it successfully and he experienced a climate similar to my zone 5.

Always something new to learn with gardening.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

jal_ut wrote:The only onions I plant in the fall are shallots and egyptian onions.
That is a great looking onion there, jal. Looks tasty too. I have some pictures of some Utah egyptian onions growing in central Alabama. They are growing great.

cherishedtiger
Green Thumb

Thats a beaut!! I pulled up my "onions" the other day, first time growing onions... label said "walla walla" but I think they were green bunching by the looks of them... everything I read everything I saw said they were ready, pulled them up and they at the biggest were the size of a golf ball... most were much smaller... so... I think next time I try onion I will do more research!!!

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”