lakngulf
Greener Thumb

A Gardening Halt

The prospects for my garden lasting on into the fall looked good. My late tomato crop still has blooms and small tomatoes, and the foilage looks great. My okra stalks are tall but still producing. I planted some late crop squash seed in the pier boxes and they are a healthy green and already producing. I had some tomato starts in some five inch peat pots to grow in my yet to be built greenhouse. Pepper plants and cucumbers are enjoying the prospects of fall weather.

Then, last Sunday, I was working on a 12 foot ladder. I had the ladder in a good spot against some T111 siding and was putting in the last little piece for one wall. I reached to move the small strip of siding to the left and put in some deck screws. Well, I must have pulled too hard on the piece of siding. I pulled left, the ladder slid quickly to the right, and I had a quick trip to the ground. Landed on my feet, and thought things were ok until I put pressure on my right foot, and said "OUCH". Broken right leg, sprained left ankle, sore knees and a lot of damage to my pride and ego. I did not feel that the ladder was in an unsafe spot, I just did not work safely.

So, I can only view the garden from a distance, and my wife has to pick the produce. No more weeding, planting, or "babying" my plants, and I just hope the green house is finished before seed start time next year.

Yall be careful out there, ya hear

applestar
Mod

Oh NO!! :(
I'm so sorry to hear that. I had a severe shoulder injury that kept me from anything I wanted to do a few years ago. I can relate.

Feel better quick, and get better soon. :bouncey:

Hispoptart

Awww geee I am glad it wasn't worse. Hope you heal and feel better soon.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear about that LnG. Hope you heal quickly and completely. I done the same thing for the same reason once. Only difference was I landed on my left hand and broke my wrist in seven places. Just mushroomed all the connecting bones in my wrist. I got up off the ground and passed out. Got up a few more times and passed out a few more times. The wife finally helped to the back steps up to the patio where I sat for awhile. The wife asked if I was okay. I said yes, except for all these bones sticking out from my wrist. She asked if she could do anything for me. I said sure, would you make me a sandwich and then drive me to the emergency room. Had that arm in a cast for about four months. Good thing it was my left arm since I am right handed. Healed up perfect. Weather changes don't even bother me.

Ted

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Wow :shock: Sorry to hear lakengulf. Get well soon, I'm interested in your greenhouse project.

Eric

Francis Barnswallow
Green Thumb

jeez, and I screamed every word in the book when I stepped on a small rusty staple near my garden while watering it earlier.

lakngulf get well soon!!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Soooo sorry to hear that. :( I hope it was your non-dominant hand, but even so it will be a major inconvenience for weeks to come.

What did the doctor(s) say when you got to the office/clinic/hospital?

What is the prognosis for having a cast/splint on?

Bummer of the first order and then some...but if you were prescribed pain meds for swelling, etc., TAKE THEM for at least the first two or three days. Rest, elevation, sleep, ice will help more in the early stages of recovery than they will later.

Best wishes to you from a very experienced rehabber,

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

DoubleDogFarm wrote:I'm interested in your greenhouse project.
Eric
It is really nothing to "write home about". I am in the process of building a tractor shed, and added an 8 x 12 side addition to it. At first I was going to store a SeaDoo in it during the winter. But I had always wanted an area where I could do starter plants, a place better than the living room, and where I would not have to take the plants in and out duirng those iffy days and nights.

The 8x12 addition is on the wrong side of the shed, will be shaded by some big trees (that will lose their leaves in the winter), is not all that protected from the north / northwest cold win, but it is the best I can do conveniently, and semi-economically. I will have storm windows on the exposed sides--2 on the 8 foot wall, and 4 on the 12 foot wall. On top and around the windows will be the clear Polycarbonate Corrugated Roofing. Just before the fall on Sunday, I have begun looking at the area and realized I could gain a little more space for the greenhouse by adding a triangular room. This will at least give me some area for supply storage.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

cynthia_h wrote:Soooo sorry to hear that. :( I hope it was your non-dominant hand, but even so it will be a major inconvenience for weeks to come.

Bummer of the first order and then some...but if you were prescribed pain meds for swelling, etc., TAKE THEM for at least the first two or three days. Rest, elevation, sleep, ice will help more in the early stages of recovery than they will later.

Cynthia H.
Cynthia, I think it was his leg. Do we have a non-dominent leg? Oh yeah, I remember now. The dominent leg is the one that isn't broken. Silly me!

Ted :shock:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

tedln wrote:
cynthia_h wrote:Soooo sorry to hear that. :( I hope it was your non-dominant hand, but even so it will be a major inconvenience for weeks to come.

Cynthia H.
Cynthia, I think it was his leg. Do we have a non-dominent leg? Oh yeah, I remember now. The dominent leg is the one that isn't broken. Silly me!

Ted :shock:
:oops: That's what I get for staying up too late. I saw the "reached for the siding" and "sudden trip to the ground." Thought about the hand....

Same advice, though....

Interestingly enough, we *do* have a dominant leg. When you go up a set of stairs or get out of the car or cross the street, which leg "leads off"? That's the dominant one. If you're not sure, try using the "other" leg. It will probably feel odd to do so.

Cynthia

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Dang that sucks. Hope you feel better soon.

But it shouldn't be too long before you can get out there at least a little bit. I know I would be, but I'm stupid crazy and in a way like pain.

Good luck.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

tedln wrote: Do we have a non-dominent leg? Oh yeah, I remember now. The dominent leg is the one that isn't broken. Silly me! Ted :shock:
If that is the case then I have a broken leg and a weak dominant leg. I am learning how to use those crutches though.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Interestingly enough, we *do* have a dominant leg. When you go up a set of stairs or get out of the car or cross the street, which leg "leads off"? That's the dominant one. If you're not sure, try using the "other" leg. It will probably feel odd to do so.
My right leg is the dominant leg. Walking, running, climbing, but I get out of my truck with the left leg. I'm usually driving.

Eric

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Aw man, what a bummer! Hope you have a quick recovery! If you were my neighbor, I'd finish that greenhouse for ya....

EG

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Yep, I'd lend a leg too.

tedln
Super Green Thumb

aaaaawwwwwww Cynthia, that explanation doesn't have a leg to stand on...........pun, pun, pun! :roll:

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

It is Saturday morning and I am sitting on my porch in an adirondack chair, leg propped up on a table, looking out over the lake, drinking coffee, and watching my wife pick okra and squash from the garden. Even though it is a nice scenery, I wish I was up and going.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”