Cerbiesmom

Unexpected indoor pest

I picked my cherry tomatoes this morning and put them in a sandwich baggie so they could go in my salad I was taking to work. I put the bag on the coffee table, and then went to brush my teeth. Yes, the first garden check has begun to happen before my morning bathroom break. I came out, and lo and behold, one of my dachshunds (this is the good one that we let roam the house, not our monster dachshund that is destruction personified), Max, had got the bag, opened it, and eaten all my tomatoes! Sneaky little weiner. I was very disappointed, and my salad had no tomatoes today.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="Cerbiesmom"]Yes, the first garden check has begun to happen before my morning bathroom break. I came out, and lo and behold, one of my dachshunds (this is the good one that we let roam the house, not our monster dachshund that is destruction personified), Max, had got the bag, opened it, and eaten all my tomatoes!

One has to have their priorities properly set. Doesn't every gardener check their harvest before their bathroom break????

Is there a possibility that the evil twin set Max up. I see this sort of thing happening in cartoons all the time. :twisted:

microcollie
Green Thumb

Probably the tomatoes fell out of the bag, and in his haste to be helpful and pick them up, he accidentally swallowed them. He's very, very sorry :wink:

Cerbiesmom

gumbo2176 wrote:
Cerbiesmom wrote:Yes, the first garden check has begun to happen before my morning bathroom break. I came out, and lo and behold, one of my dachshunds (this is the good one that we let roam the house, not our monster dachshund that is destruction personified), Max, had got the bag, opened it, and eaten all my tomatoes!

One has to have their priorities properly set. Doesn't every gardener check their harvest before their bathroom break????

Is there a possibility that the evil twin set Max up. I see this sort of thing happening in cartoons all the time. :twisted:
I'm glad my priorities aren't in question here. My hubby thinks I'm nuts. Although, we just started him a raised bed for a fall garden, and he's already getting excited about watching stuff grow.

Nope, it was Mr. Max. Evil doxie was in her kennel, as she can't be left out, even if I'm just in the bathroom. She's a kitty chaser when no one's looking.

Cerbiesmom

microcollie wrote:Probably the tomatoes fell out of the bag, and in his haste to be helpful and pick them up, he accidentally swallowed them. He's very, very sorry :wink:
He was, too. He had his sad face on while he was still chewing. It was like he couldn't help himself. I had to go in the other room to laugh.

I just thought that since they made it inside, I didn't have to worry about animals getting them. I was wrong.

applestar
Mod

:lol:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

That leads to a bad day but I'm with MCollie I'm sure he was trying to help. :lol:

Now my dog, she would not be trying to help. :evil:
Last edited by gixxerific on Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hispoptart

ROFL....Sorry about your loss, but this thread is way to funny!

Cerbiesmom

Its allright. I've still got a lot of cherry toms on the plant, so I'll get more. I just have to remember to put them on a higher table or in the fridge right away.

applestar
Mod

I just have to remember to put them on a higher table
Remembering that Max is a short-legged Duchs -- LMFAO

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

My Black Labs are helpful also. They help me carry the produce in from the garden. In THEIR TUMMY! :P

[img]https://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h300/eric_wa/Jacob%20and%20Pepper/DSC02230-1.jpg[/img]

Eric

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I think it's engineeredgarden, a user here, who has a video on youtube about harvesting sweet potatoes from containers. He keeps tossing shreds of sweet potato vine or rootlets in the air for a young German shepherd named Jude to catch while he's all the while digging. Very funny gardening assistant.

My best "helpers" were my chickens: "Oh, here's another tomato you missed!" as they pecked holes in them.

Cerbiesmom

Yes, my little dachshunds both eat the seedlings that I thin out. I generally have one on either side of me when I crouch down by the garden. My heeler can't be bothered with the greens. He wants the tomatoes and the bell peppers. Dogs are very good helpers. It's nice to be able to send them out to chse the squirrels and birds away. I guess a few tomatoes is a fair price to pay for their services.

And apple, you better not ever laugh at a doxie for being short in person! (they don't know that they're small!) Max killed a water moccasin (sp?) that I was about to step on one day, they're serious little dogs. That was the day we decided Max was no longer a foster, he was our new dog.
And I've caught my smaller one on my dining room table :shock: Never saw her get up there, but she did it 3 more times until we just gated it off. They are convinced they are a force to be reckoned with.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Yes cerbie they have a much bigger personality than there size leads you to believe.

Dachshunds were bred to get badgers out of the ground. Badgers are some mean mother's if I do say so myself. I don't want to mess with them. They also flushed out other burrowing animals. They may be 20 or so pounds but they think they are 120 pounds. :lol:

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Next time, put some hot peppers in a bag and let it sit on the table :wink:, I'm sure he will think twice before he gets into another paper bag.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”