Hispoptart

Stupid deer!!!!!

We have grown a garden here for 3 years now, Deer will eat tomatoes, peppers, cabbage, and so on. But they have never touched our butternuts....Till now that is, after fighting the freezes we have had and trying to get them to ripen, I came home from work today and found at least half of them stomped and eaten! I am so mad. I will have to spray the remainder tonight so the deer leave them alone.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

So when do we have the fence building party. I'll bring the beer. :evil:

Sorry about the squash. Our island is over populated by deer. Had to put up a fence years ago. I also have 1 1/2 black Labradors on patrol. Jacob, he is fat, old and slow. Just like his buddy Eric.

Eric

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Sorry to hear about that I know deer can reek havoc on a garden, tree, fence etc.

Like Eric said we have tons of deer around here but luckily non have found there way into my subdivision. Good for them 90 percent of us are hunters and might not last long anyways.

Deer season anyone, oh yeah that only means thing will get worse soon.

Oops I shouldn't have said that. :oops:

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

A dog kept in the proximity of the garden works really good! That's where my dog's pen is located....

EG

Hispoptart

Beer???? well heck fence building party starts right now! LOL We have this stuff called liquid deer fence that you spray on the plants. Works great if ya use it. They have been nibbling on our tomatoes which was no big deal so I didn't spray, but your messing with my butternuts, NOW it's a problem!

lwcredneck
Newly Registered

Human hair spread around the outside of your garden will keep the deer away. Sounds crazy but it works.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

There are almost a hundred home and store-bought remedies to keep deer out of the garden.

I've found that some work, some don't; those that do work, don't always.

Really, one of the only sure-fire ways to keep the deer out is to put up a tall fence. Oh, and it had better be a tall one because you'd be surprised how hi a deer will jump.

I'm sorry to hear about your butternuts. They go after my squash, as well. Usually the zucchini :roll:.

I remember during our butternut discussion in another thread, you mention you were only doing 2 plants this year. How's that going? How many butternuts do you think you will get?

stella1751
Greener Thumb

I think I had racoons living behind my fence. Early in the morning, about two to three hours before sunrise, I would hear this crazy high-pitched chattering back there. This went on for about two weeks. I finally took my dogs behind the fence two days ago. One of them loves nothing more than to painstakingly mark his territory, one grass clump at a time.

I haven't heard the chattering noise since. Dogs are wonderful assets to the gardener, even ones as old as my two :lol:

specgrade

Hair and urine are most helpful in keeping the deer away. No, really...

Hispoptart

The liquid deer fence worked as it always does. No deer last night, I set up the game cam hoping to catch them coming in and leaving with thier noses turned up, but I guess they hate the smell so bad they never even came in. G5- I thought we would get about 30 or so, but now it looks like about 15.

garden5
Super Green Thumb

Hispoptart wrote:The liquid deer fence worked as it always does. No deer last night, I set up the game cam hoping to catch them coming in and leaving with thier noses turned up, but I guess they hate the smell so bad they never even came in. G5- I thought we would get about 30 or so, but now it looks like about 15.
From both plants?

That's too bad. It sounds like a lot less then when you had your 4 plants. Oh well, there's always next year :).

Glad to hear your deer are staying out :).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I just read a couple "new to me" ways to keep out deer. AS we know they can jump high and they can jump far but not at the same time.

There fix was to build a 5ft. or so fence than run boards at a 45 degree angle to the ground out about 5 ft. from the fence. Than run wire or mesh or more boards laterally along the sloping side. It would look like half a triangle when finished.

Another idea was to have two 4ft. fences spaced 4ft. apart.

These will keep the deer out well in theory they will. :wink:

The first would be better but might look like a prison the second one would work unless they jump the first fence than jump the second fence. But they would more than likely be discouraged against jumping it in the first place.

engineeredgarden
Green Thumb

Another idea was to have two 4ft. fences spaced 4ft. apart.
That's why I enclosed my main raised bed with removable sections of fencing - because a deer will look at the enclosed space and think "If I jump in there, it's gonna be difficult to jump back out"

EG

[img]https://i55.tinypic.com/9qg3tg.jpg[/img]

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Get this, deer do not see all that well and as their eyes are made to see movement instead of depth perception they can not see how high the fence is and do not jump it.

https://www.deerbusters.com/deer-fence-poly-rolls.html

lilcee

What would eat the ends off of bean leaves? I have holes in some that I know are from worms but what eats off the tips of the leaves?

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

lilcee wrote:What would eat the ends off of bean leaves? I have holes in some that I know are from worms but what eats off the tips of the leaves?
Do you have masses of grasshoppers? I am thinking that MAYBE they are the culpruts doing the damage to mine.

Could be way off here just thinking.

Hispoptart

Finaly got around to uploading the game cam pics

Here's the culprits

[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/HisPoptart/Picture476.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/HisPoptart/Picture456-1.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/HisPoptart/Picture495.jpg[/img]

Here's a couple of the damage

[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/HisPoptart/Picture666.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k278/HisPoptart/Picture666.jpg[/img]

garden5
Super Green Thumb

They ate the actual squash :shock: :!:. Man, I've had them eat my plants....but I never thought they'd eat the fruit.

Has your repellent been working so far?

Lilcee, I've had deer eat my pole beans, so don't rule them out (check for hoof-prints).

Hispoptart

garden5 wrote:They ate the actual squash :shock: :!:. Man, I've had them eat my plants....but I never thought they'd eat the fruit.

Yep they ate the squash and they have not been back since I sprayed. We even had a night of heavy rain after I sprayed but they have not come back. The stuff works really good.

lilcee

I haven't seen any hoof prints but I see a lot of "droppings" on the leaves. Could these be from the worms or grasshoppers? They seem awful big droppings for the tiny worms I'm finding. Or could it be some other kind of animal? I found a lot of it on the leaves this morning.

garden5 wrote:They ate the actual squash :shock: :!:. Man, I've had them eat my plants....but I never thought they'd eat the fruit.

Lilcee, I've had deer eat my pole beans, so don't rule them out (check for hoof-prints).

garden5
Super Green Thumb

lilcee wrote:I haven't seen any hoof prints but I see a lot of "droppings" on the leaves. Could these be from the worms or grasshoppers? They seem awful big droppings for the tiny worms I'm finding. Or could it be some other kind of animal? I found a lot of it on the leaves this morning.

That's a tough one to call. I can't find any real resources online for identifying insect droppings. If it's a lot, I would think that it would be grasshopper instead of a worm, too.

Also, I've had Japanese beetles attack my beans, but I'm sure you would know if you had those.

Return to “Vegetable Gardening Forum”