the collecter

Mobile Trees (questions)

I know most Bonzais are favored potted rather than in the ground. It's nice to be able to move you'r plant from indoors to out and be able to show it off just about anywhere. With my plants I like to move them around alittle bit, keeping them on my roof for a few days and then putting them on the ground out in the yard for the neighbors to see. I heard however that some trees DO NOT like to be moved...they get in a spot, like it, and it becomes their's, and when removed from their spot, they wilt, and if moved too often the tree can actually die.

my questions are:

What trees do this?
Do fruit trees such as oranges, apples, pears, (things you get from the supermarket and get seeds from) do this? - will I be able to treat my future fruit trees the same as the rest of my trees
Why do trees do this?
Is it good that I move my trees around from high to low places?

femlow

Well Ficus are notorious for dropping their leaves when they are moved. Its not so much that they are picky, but rather that the new leaves that grow back will be acclimated to the area in which they grow, so if they are moved again, they will need new leaves for the new area. Other trees don't drop their leaves as easily, but they can still have difficulty when moved often because they are unable to properly acclimate themselves to the new area and stick with it; they have to keep changing. Fruit trees will not be an exception to this.

Depending on the differences between the areas you put them (elevation from your roof to your lawn shouldn;t make a big difference unless you roof is really high up there. Its the actual weather conditions that matter), it may be fine. If all the areas have about the same sun/shade, heat, wind, etc then it shouldn't cause a problem. But if you roof is really hot and kind of windy, and then you put it on your lawn where its shady and still, and then back up on your roof, your trees might get a little mad. Though most trees won't drop their leavs like a ficus will (unless the chages are more drastic such as from sunny and hot outside to low light, cool and drafty inside), they still may not like the change. It will likely weaken their resistance to disease ad pests as well as make figuring out things like a watering schedule difficult.

There are some exceptions where people will shock a tree into doing something (such as flowering) however this is not a process that is done every couple of weeks or so, but rather normally only once a season at most, and should be done very carefully, because too much shock will kill the tree instead of causing the desired effect.

Your trees will probably be happiest if you just pick a place and keep them there. It will be a lot less stress for them. If you want to show them off, the you can always move them for a few days, but then put them back, or keep them in a suitable place where they can be shown off, and leave them there. Your trees will thank you for it.

fem

JoeLewko
Green Thumb

fem really hit everything here, I agree, just find a suitable place and leave them alone. Don't forget, they are still real trees, and trees in nature stay in one place.

the collecter

femlow wrote:Well Ficus are notorious for dropping their leaves when they are moved. Its not so much that they are picky, but rather that the new leaves that grow back will be acclimated to the area in which they grow, so if they are moved again, they will need new leaves for the new area. Other trees don't drop their leaves as easily, but they can still have difficulty when moved often because they are unable to properly acclimate themselves to the new area and stick with it; they have to keep changing. Fruit trees will not be an exception to this.

Depending on the differences between the areas you put them (elevation from your roof to your lawn shouldn;t make a big difference unless you roof is really high up there. Its the actual weather conditions that matter), it may be fine. If all the areas have about the same sun/shade, heat, wind, etc then it shouldn't cause a problem. But if you roof is really hot and kind of windy, and then you put it on your lawn where its shady and still, and then back up on your roof, your trees might get a little mad. Though most trees won't drop their leavs like a ficus will (unless the chages are more drastic such as from sunny and hot outside to low light, cool and drafty inside), they still may not like the change. It will likely weaken their resistance to disease ad pests as well as make figuring out things like a watering schedule difficult.

There are some exceptions where people will shock a tree into doing something (such as flowering) however this is not a process that is done every couple of weeks or so, but rather normally only once a season at most, and should be done very carefully, because too much shock will kill the tree instead of causing the desired effect.

Your trees will probably be happiest if you just pick a place and keep them there. It will be a lot less stress for them. If you want to show them off, the you can always move them for a few days, but then put them back, or keep them in a suitable place where they can be shown off, and leave them there. Your trees will thank you for it.

fem

I just wanted to thank you for all the help you've given me...in general I do keep my trees in one spot, I just started moving them from my roof to the yard due to all the neighbors looking at my roof wondering if they're marijuana plants or just other plants - all and all my neighbors love looking in my yard at my trees and it also reassures them that I'm not doing anything elegal...I'm glad to know now that my trees arent the tempermentle kind that this bonsai expert told me about...I'll try to stay clear of those trees

thanks again
~the collecter~

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”